The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

HSC
Hey can anyone tell me if, legally, casuals require a doctors certificate after calling in sick? Our manager has told us that we must call in ourselves, not our "mummy or daddy" (which isn't really fair if you've got your head in a bucket or a migrain) and we must present a doctors certificate at our next shift. Is this legally enforcable?
No, I'm casual and the past two times I have been sick my department manager made me bring one in. And I have had my mum ring me in sick few times, when I have had gastro or lost my voice...I've lost my voice on a shift and I had to go home, because they needed me to train somebody, but had someone else do the walking around the store, the booklet part. The next day I trained them with registers and talking

timw7845

Somewhere near the mountains... somewhere near the
HSC
Hey can anyone tell me if, legally, casuals require a doctors certificate after calling in sick? Our manager has told us that we must call in ourselves, not our "mummy or daddy" (which isn't really fair if you've got your head in a bucket or a migrain) and we must present a doctors certificate at our next shift. Is this legally enforcable?
you should get a day leeway anyway for sick..

ive done it a couple of times cause ive felt like rubbish and the supervisor asked if i had one...

i told him i was told you dont need one until its 2 or more days...

he was like oh..ok bye

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Over here you only have to provide one if you are sick for 3 or more days. They can request one earlier than that but the company must pay for the Doctor's visit.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Casuals shouldn't need doctor's certificate's, what are they going to do if you don't hand one in? Not pay you? They already do that - thats why your casual, you don't get sick pay.

HSC
FINISHED :D

worst shift ever, I had a migraine today it was so bad :( we had 5 shifts cut and they were important shifts. I am so glad that is over with, F to the UCK to my supervisor, who thought I was bludging, when I went to the lunchroom and took a norufen! grr to you.

HSC
FINISHED :D

worst shift ever, I had a migraine today it was so bad :( we had 5 shifts cut and they were important shifts. I am so glad that is over with, F to the UCK to my supervisor, who thought I was bludging, when I went to the lunchroom and took a norufen! grr to you.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Man everyone in NZ won't stop complaining about our Vege prices. Apparently a handful of our growers complained to a Green Party MP saying they are being paid peanuts, and we are supposedly putting up our produce by as much as 500%. I just wanna tell them that is totally incorrect but I'd get sacked.

It's so frustrating that everyone is believing what a few growers have said - considering that we have over 6500!

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Man everyone in NZ won't stop complaining about our Vege prices. Apparently a handful of our growers complained to a Green Party MP saying they are being paid peanuts, and we are supposedly putting up our produce by as much as 500%. I just wanna tell them that is totally incorrect but I'd get sacked.

It's so frustrating that everyone is believing what a few growers have said - considering that we have over 6500!

People must also believe that our staff work for free, our power is generated by a wind farm on top of the store, our phones are tin cans joined by string and our logistics fleet runs on thin air. Some people can be so stupid.

Last edited:

NNS7

HSC
N/A
If you are casual you don't need one. Some managers ask for a certificate to try to stop people from chucking a sickie, but your not legally required to provide one.

I do believe that if possible, you, not your parents/partner, should really call in. I'd be more likely to believe you than if your mum rang up and said you were "sick". I've heard it all before 10,000 times.....

_be

HSC
Oh wow, what a shift... Initially started off as a 4 hour shit, but one of the supervisors sprained her wrist, so I ended up staying an extra 4 hours to cover her, in which I got to play supervisor whilst the other one went on his meal break, naturally as soon as he left the store magically got so bloody busy and everything went to shit (we were 3 down as it was) and the trolley bay was EMPTY because the stupid trolley boy was standing around outside talking to his mates, it ended up with my SSO bringing in a row of trolleys (even though she wasn't working) and I had my super awesome duty manager to call on to help serve on express (we have one of those integrated service desks/express checkouts)

Oh also, I'm considering signing up to be an AWE member, does it actually provide any useful benefits? And, what fees would I expect to pay? The site didn't really specify.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
If you are casual you don't need one. Some managers ask for a certificate to try to stop people from chucking a sickie, but your not legally required to provide one.

I do believe that if possible, you, not your parents/partner, should really call in. I'd be more likely to believe you than if your mum rang up and said you were "sick". I've heard it all before 10,000 times.....
My boss used to say "If you are well enough to use the phone to call in sick you are well enough to come to work"

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
At my BigW you cant call in sick on a Sunday unless you are dying, you cant let someone else call in for you, adn you need a certificate if its on a Fri Night. Otherwise we get paid even without a cert as 95% of the people in my store are part-time and Managment cant be bothered chasing up paperwork.

But seriously, no matter how shit I felt, I would still go in on a Sunday as it makes up like 1/3 of my weekly wage and chances of overtime are good as the store runs with extreme minimums of staffing.

HSC
At my BigW you cant call in sick on a Sunday unless you are dying, you cant let someone else call in for you, adn you need a certificate if its on a Fri Night.
My sister worked in Big W for 7 1/2 years, She rarely called in sick, she was like 2IC in cosmetics. And thats why I don't work fridays :), I have an tutoring every second friday and its easier to say no friday's' at all instead of every second friday, otherwise they would get confused.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hmm. got offered a new job. Goodbye woolies! handing in my 2 weeks notice on thursday - but told them already today. O:

MMacka

HSC
N/A
Finally have a day off tomorrow! Worked 42 hours/6 days last week and so over it. Yay for casual rates and my 18th birthday payrise later this week.

Hopefully they payout all my overtime, but I reakon they will try and screw me over like usual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)