The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

Katebrunner

HSC
Bit of drama at our Woolies lately. A supervisor who I got along with pretty well disappeared off the face of the earth, which I thought was strange, so I decided to ask someone if they knew what happened. Found out she had stole over $10,000 while doing spot checks, and our security cameras caught her. Couple this with the fact we've had two supervisors get new jobs and leave in the past fortnight, means our store is a bit light-on when it comes to team leaders.

Been thinking about throwing my hat in the ring. I've been there for over a year now, I feel like I am trusted enough (I work 25-30 hours a week), and I have a strong desire to step up. I love the feeling of responsibility and teaching. But I doubt myself on whether I would know how to do everything. I've done a few spot checks here and there and they seem easy enough, I know how to handle refunds and cash transfers etc, but that's about it. What else do you need to know before you become a supervisor?
Go for it! Good luck

nanakid12

HSC
Only thing that can get a bit stressful is when it's busy and staff need help all at the same time.

But it's still better than being an operator ha

bernie14

HSC
Got called into the office today and asked if I wanted to do a supervisor shift every weekend for six months as a girl is going overseas. Talk about timely!

Only bugbear is that I enjoy my AFL, so I hope I don't miss my team playing too much.

Katebrunner

HSC
Got called into the office today and asked if I wanted to do a supervisor shift every weekend for six months as a girl is going overseas. Talk about timely!

Only bugbear is that I enjoy my AFL, so I hope I don't miss my team playing too much.
Yay Bernie [emoji571]

nanakid12

HSC
Congrats mate. Use the extra 50c an hour supervision rate to save up for a PVR and record the AFL games :p

nanakid12

HSC
Are you from Victoria? I visited Melbourne in April and thought the AFL culture down there was awesome! So different to up here in QLD I thought, with NRL and league, etc. I need to get out more I think.

And I shall ask him tomorrow! Got the big bosses visiting tomorrow [emoji16] should be fun!

Katebrunner

HSC
Are you from Victoria? I visited Melbourne in April and thought the AFL culture down there was awesome! So different to up here in QLD I thought, with NRL and league, etc. I need to get out more I think.

And I shall ask him tomorrow! Got the big bosses visiting tomorrow [emoji16] should be fun!
Which bosses visit your store? Area Manager or higher ups?

AFL is soooo much more fun to watch than NRL [emoji7] [emoji464]

nanakid12

HSC
Haha higher ups I'm pretty sure. Everything was schmick.
And yeah I'm not really a sports person but AFL rules ;) except for state of Origin ha

Katebrunner

HSC
I retract my comment regarding your awesomeness.

I am a fanatical, obsessed North Melbourne supporter!
Omg I cant believe woolies would promote a North Melbourne fan to the rank of supervisor! [emoji13] lol

FrontendFreak

HSC
It seems my store is starting to slowly (very slowly) be refurbished, they have done some painting over the feral green colour scheme within the store, and have taken down the signs above the departments with the cartoon, clip art-like images. Some new lights installed, and two tradies arrived last night to work to take down the old woolworths sign and put new rebranding logos up at the front entrance and around the centre. Exciting! Aldi opens up outside our store this week which will be interesting. Seems that only PPT shifts have been rostered on these next few weeks to see how we go with wages.

bernie14

HSC
How do you guys handle with product shrinkage in self-serve?

Our store has a huge self-serve area (10 machines), so it can be difficult to keep an eye on everybody, especially when it's busy. I work 25 hours a week, and 20 of them are in self-serve, so I spent a lot of time in the area, and I see a lot of customers trying to sneak products into their trolley without scanning it. Today a guy came in with five packs of 12 x soft drink cans in his trolley, with other items. He scanned his loose items, putting them in a bag and then on top of his can packs. Then he quickly paid, grabbed the receipt, scrunched it up and put it in his pocket, and walked out quickly. Blocked his exit and asked if I could check his receipt, he reluctantly agreed and of course, no soft drink anywhere. Asked him whether he forgot to scan them, and he did the classic "Ohhh bloody hell, I can't believe I forgot them, silly me!"

Our store has changed the self-serve policy. The bagging area no longer picks up item weight, so you can put whatever you want in the bag without scanning it. Makes it so much easier for customers to steal. A guy today (or girl, I couldn't really tell..) was basically picking two or three items up at a time and putting it across the scanner before dumping it in the bag. Of course, this isn't how it works, as you need to scan one at a time. We sprung him/her/it, and they had over $60 worth of items that they hadn't scanned properly.

I used to be really tentative with asking people for their receipt, thinking I was invading their privacy, but I don't seem to care anymore. Every item stolen is my fault basically, so I got to do what I got to do.

Xantios

HSC
N/A
. Seems that only PPT shifts have been rostered on these next few weeks to see how we go with wages.
Don't even get me started with this bullshit. Seriously pisses me off. As a Nightfill manager my fastest filler is a casual. She basically chose her own hours, and the number of hours she does a week. So she works 25 hours a week, and finishes at 11pm each night. She works 20 cartons an hour (!) faster than my next fastest filler, so I really don't care what she wants. She gets whatever she wants. She's fast and always reliable.

In typical stupid Woolworths policy 'You need to make this person part time!' 'She should finish at 12 each day too!'. Of course she'll never agree to either of those terms. She told me in no uncertain terms she'd quit before agreeing to either of that. Either IGA or Coles would hire her in a heartbeat. She's filling well over 100 cartons an hour. The general expectation is around 60 an hour. In typical Woolworths style, they'd rather pay a PPT employee that struggles with 40 cartons an hour instead of a casual that does over 100 an hour.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't even get me started with this bullshit. Seriously pisses me off. As a Nightfill manager my fastest filler is a casual. She basically chose her own hours, and the number of hours she does a week. So she works 25 hours a week, and finishes at 11pm each night. She works 20 cartons an hour (!) faster than my next fastest filler, so I really don't care what she wants. She gets whatever she wants. She's fast and always reliable.

In typical stupid Woolworths policy 'You need to make this person part time!' 'She should finish at 12 each day too!'. Of course she'll never agree to either of those terms. She told me in no uncertain terms she'd quit before agreeing to either of that. Either IGA or Coles would hire her in a heartbeat. She's filling well over 100 cartons an hour. The general expectation is around 60 an hour. In typical Woolworths style, they'd rather pay a PPT employee that struggles with 40 cartons an hour instead of a casual that does over 100 an hour.
Gg no re

bernie14

HSC
Can anyone tell me the process regarding tax? Will they give me my group certificate or will it be on AllYours?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)