The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

undertides

HSC
I'm working the same days as you! I've never worked a public holiday before...so I'm excited
I worked Australia Day and that was pretty average, but I hear that Boxing Day is super quiet so I'm curious about what Easter Saturday will look like. Have a good shift! And enjoy the pay. :D

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know how I would go about working in two departments or giving myself as an option to work in two departments? I'm currently on Front End just manning the checkouts but I also wouldn't mind lending a hand and getting a shift in Groceries every once in a while. Thanks!

BSammy

HSC
Does anyone know how I would go about working in two departments or giving myself as an option to work in two departments? I'm currently on Front End just manning the checkouts but I also wouldn't mind lending a hand and getting a shift in Groceries every once in a while. Thanks!
Basically just talk to the Longlife manager, let them know your availabilities etc

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Basically just talk to the Longlife manager, let them know your availabilities etc
So even with little to no training or experience in the department, they would put me on with them and train me up? I like working on checkouts but I'd also like to have another option to turn to.

BSammy

HSC
So even with little to no training or experience in the department, they would put me on with them and train me up? I like working on checkouts but I'd also like to have another option to turn to.
Not sure. It really depends on the department manager, and what sort of work you're after, but it never hurts to ask.

bernie14

HSC
I supervised front end by myself for the very first time today (apart from night shifts). Bit daunting, especially on a Monday, but survived. Working 8 - 5 killed me though, don't know how the customer service managers do it 4-5 days a week.

Kittyrules

I'm your density
HSC
Hey guys, havent been on BOS in a couple months and never in this forum, but a job opportunity came up that got me thinking and some advice/info would be appreciated, I know you have probably answered this a million times.

A new woolworths is gonna be built quite soon 100 m from my school and they wrote to our careers advisor asking for applicants to work there. I'm interested because i want to save some money for a trip to Germany, and generally get some job experience. I've never had a proper job like this before, and I'm currently in year 12. I get a long with people well and I'm motivated (for money reasons obviously). It's also close to home which is wonderful
Has anyone here gotten a job at woolies with no prior experience? How was that for you?
What would a starting pay be? Has anyone here managed with woolies or a job during HSC and how did that go for you?
Is it difficult learning the different skills required as a first time woolworths employee?

Thanks!

bernie14

HSC
I moved from a town of 230 people to Melbourne, with no prior experience working in retail/customer service, so it was a big shock for me when I landed the job at Woolies.

Initially, I hated it. I never knew how to properly strike up a conversation with customers. Sometimes I'd get a bit of stage fright if someone asked me something and I'd just mumble my way through some sort of answer, plus the long hours on my feet picking up and bagging items was tiresome and gruelling on my back (make sure you learn correct item-handling etiquette! Will save your body wonders).

But as I started to get more experience, I started liking it, and I gelled with the people I worked with (as I said, I moved to Melbourne and knew nobody when I rocked up on my first day). It sounds like you won't have that issue, and you might even be able to bounce ideas and thoughts off your friends if they also get a job there.

Now I supervise front end (registers) and enjoy customer interaction, I know how to talk to different demographics, I have regular customers that I can continue conversations with from their previous visit, I know pretty much everything there is to know about working front end (except tender swap :( ).

I would say go for it. It has improved my 'people skills' a whole lot, I used to be a shy person who would wait for a customer to acknowledge me, now I have no qualms with asking someone how their day was etc. Plus you learn so many more good skills, like cash handling, problem solving and whatnot. As someone who moved out of home and lives alone, it also helps me identify new foods that I might like to try. Quite often a customer will have something in their trolley and while scanning it I'll think "Ooh, haven't seen that before, I'll buy that when I finish my shift".

BTW, my base rate (21 years old) is $21.84 p/h. Guessing you are 17-18, so you might be around the $13-16 mark. If you work at Woolies, you'll start to like birthdays even more and more as well! The higher you age, the more you get paid.

Good luck with it.

undertides

HSC
Hey guys, havent been on BOS in a couple months and never in this forum, but a job opportunity came up that got me thinking and some advice/info would be appreciated, I know you have probably answered this a million times.

A new woolworths is gonna be built quite soon 100 m from my school and they wrote to our careers advisor asking for applicants to work there. I'm interested because i want to save some money for a trip to Germany, and generally get some job experience. I've never had a proper job like this before, and I'm currently in year 12. I get a long with people well and I'm motivated (for money reasons obviously). It's also close to home which is wonderful
Has anyone here gotten a job at woolies with no prior experience? How was that for you?
What would a starting pay be? Has anyone here managed with woolies or a job during HSC and how did that go for you?
Is it difficult learning the different skills required as a first time woolworths employee?

Thanks!
Woolworths is my first job and that's the case for most of my front-end coworkers. A bunch of them are studying their HSC this year and they seem to be balancing just fine. Just make sure that you're honest about your availability as much as you can be.

The skills are not at all hard to learn. Don't be afraid to ask questions of your supervisors. I think the hardest part (at least as a cashier) is being "on" all the time. As mentioned above, it's an EXCELLENT way of developing your people skills. I first posted in this forum talking about quitting and I've been there over five months, now, and I'm definitely much more friendly and capable of asking and answering questions, idle chatter, etc.

Pay depends on whether you're part-time or casual, but it's pretty decent compared to other entry-level employers and, as mentioned above, you get a lot of pay rises and once you're 20 you're earning a pretty generous wage.

Good luck!

Last edited:

undertides

HSC
Quite often a customer will have something in their trolley and while scanning it I'll think "Ooh, haven't seen that before, I'll buy that when I finish my shift".
This is the best/worst part of the job, I swear.

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Woolies is definitely a great first gig. Since I've started working there I find myself a bit happier since I actually have something to do now and it's keeping me out of trouble and something positive I've noticed is that even out of work if I make eye contact with someone, even a complete stranger, I smile at them which is a good habit of mine now :)

undertides

HSC
Can't believe how ridiculously busy the Thursday before Good Friday was. Our carpark was more full than Christmas Eve. Today was pretty intense, too, but I'm told Saturday was quieter.

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Dunno about Thursday but Saturday was definitely the busiest day for us. All 14 registers being used + 2/6 express lanes open. Still some lines with 2 trolleys deep but there isn't much you can do. Can't call an express alert because all the registers are in use anyway. Tonight was pretty chill and it just felt like a normal day. Supervisors must've thought it would be busy as well and rostered on a bit more people than we needed but it's all good. Double time and a half is bloody amazing but someone told me if you worked Saturday as well as Monday you only get paid double time and a half for one of the shifts?

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
Yeah, Thursday was our busiest too! Didn't start to die off until about an hour before closing and even then...

Also, there were stores open on Good Friday? That's so weird. I thought everywhere had to be shut Good Friday (except for obvious places like service stations, some restaurants etc)

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Yeah, Thursday was our busiest too! Didn't start to die off until about an hour before closing and even then...

Also, there were stores open on Good Friday? That's so weird. I thought everywhere had to be shut Good Friday (except for obvious places like service stations, some restaurants etc)
Oh woops haha I mean Saturday and Monday. Not sure what I was thinking when I wrote that.

BSammy

HSC
someone told me if you worked Saturday as well as Monday you only get paid double time and a half for one of the shifts?
They are wrong. they are all their own seperate public holiday.

They might be right if they wer talking about christmas for example, where if it happens on a weekend there's also a public holiday on the monday

undertides

HSC
I think I did something dumb today.

I had a customer that was a regular and a really nice lady. Her mother has been in the hospital sick and, at the end of the transaction, she/we realised that she didn't have her card or any cash on her. I really didn't want her to have to leave without her groceries so I got out my card (I had it after getting food on my break) and covered it. It was only $16 but I'm wondering if this is something I can be penalised/fired for? She asked for my name and I'm worried she'll post about me on social media, although she was an older woman so it's probably less risky.

Thoughts?

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
I was in a similar boat a few months ago. A lady had lost her wallet and was having a pretty bad day so I offered to cover her bill which was around $20 or so and I was in a good mood. I offered and she refused so I just saved the transaction and then moved on with my day and she eventually got some form of money and paid for her good a little later. Turns out she also wanted to leave a good word about me to my supervisor so she told my supervisor the story of how I got ym wallet out and offered to pay.

Later on in my shift I got pulled aside and got a stern talking to on how doing that is against the rules. Thank god my supervisors are lovely in general :) Now I just chuck my wallet and phone in the front desk cupboard like you're supposed to haha. I'm sure you'll be fine undertides, don't sweat it mate.

undertides

HSC
Thanks for the speedy reply. I've been stressing about getting fired. I'm not sure that they'll even find out, but if they do it was such a small amount and it would be a first warning sort of situation.

Kinda sucks that it's against the rules, although I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Thanks for letting me know your experience turned out okay. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)