The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

StudyToDeath

HSC
Thanks for the speedy reply. I've been stressing about getting fired. I'm not sure that they'll even find out, but if they do it was such a small amount and it would be a first warning sort of situation.

Kinda sucks that it's against the rules, although I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Thanks for letting me know your experience turned out okay. :)
You are over thinking it, we all make mistakes. So don't stress :D

Katebrunner

HSC
I think I did something dumb today.

I had a customer that was a regular and a really nice lady. Her mother has been in the hospital sick and, at the end of the transaction, she/we realised that she didn't have her card or any cash on her. I really didn't want her to have to leave without her groceries so I got out my card (I had it after getting food on my break) and covered it. It was only $16 but I'm wondering if this is something I can be penalised/fired for? She asked for my name and I'm worried she'll post about me on social media, although she was an older woman so it's probably less risky.

Thoughts?
You did a very nice thing. Its probably not encouraged but there is no way anything will happen to you. Can you imagine the public outrage if it got out that an employee was fired/penalised for helping a customer in need?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Thanks for the speedy reply. I've been stressing about getting fired. I'm not sure that they'll even find out, but if they do it was such a small amount and it would be a first warning sort of situation.

Kinda sucks that it's against the rules, although I'm sure there's a good reason for it. Thanks for letting me know your experience turned out okay. :)
Don't worry, nothing will happen.

If something does happen, head office will be alerted and move in swiftly. (aka the strong team behind me)

BSammy

HSC
Yeah, you'l be fine, the only bad thing was having your wallet on you (Leaving it in the drawer at the service desk isn't really good either). Management should be providing lockers.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Yeah, you'l be fine, the only bad thing was having your wallet on you (Leaving it in the drawer at the service desk isn't really good either). Management should be providing lockers.
Do we have any stories from the Easter shift/s? Something interesting must've happened for sure...

nanakid12

HSC
Do we have any stories from the Easter shift/s? Something interesting must've happened for sure...
No, nothing interesting happened at all.

You did a very nice thing. Its probably not encouraged but there is no way anything will happen to you. Can you imagine the public outrage if it got out that an employee was fired/penalised for helping a customer in need?
Yeah, I remember something about Maccas or Subway or something, a year or two back where and employee paid for a homeless guy's meal and he was reprimanded by management. Big uproar about that.

You did a great thing. It sounds like you helped a nice lady out during a difficult time.

EDIT: I forgot what I came here for! Can anyone provide me info on Study Leave? Does it come out of Personal Leave? Can I only take it for my exams where the exam is on that day or something?

I have a few big assignments coming up for uni and was going to get a shift or two off next week so I have time to do them. I asked my Dept. manager and SSO about Study Leave and they had no idea about it :S

Last edited:

undertides

HSC
We have lockers. I keep my phone/wallet in there (even if a bunch of coworkers don't...) but I had my debit card in my pocket from after my break. Will be keeping it away in future just in case.

Thanks for all of the encouragement. Went in today and no problem.

As for Easter, no interesting stories. Today someone bought over 100 tubes of toothpaste, though.

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if I would be allowed to work in two stores? The one I currently work at is close to school and great for after school shifts and good for weekend shifts but it's very rare that I get after school shifts apart from a Friday one every so often.

There's a small Woolworths Metro which is about a 15-20 minute walk from my house which is pretty good and I was just wondering if I could give their front desk my info and let them know that I can come in if they ever needed someone desperately for a shift? Like idk not officially be part of their roster but just be 'on call' if that makes any sense. Thanks!

undertides

HSC
So can anyone tell me why a manager might be mad that I called in to ask if someone could take my shift? I take other people's all the time but I called in for the first time myself and she seemed really mad/said I shouldn't do it in future.

She also gets mad if I call in sick/cancel a shift, so I can't really win, can I?

Should I talk to a higher up about it?

BSammy

HSC
Does anyone know if I would be allowed to work in two stores? The one I currently work at is close to school and great for after school shifts and good for weekend shifts but it's very rare that I get after school shifts apart from a Friday one every so often.

There's a small Woolworths Metro which is about a 15-20 minute walk from my house which is pretty good and I was just wondering if I could give their front desk my info and let them know that I can come in if they ever needed someone desperately for a shift? Like idk not officially be part of their roster but just be 'on call' if that makes any sense. Thanks!
Yaah, shouldn't be a problem. Good idea to keep your Department Manager informed, especially if the two stores combined might add up to overtime.

I am currently rostered for two stores, and am working in a third this weekend.

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Ah bugger I asked my Supervisor and she said I can go for it and work for two stores but she doesn't really like it. I'm gonna decide to not work for 2 stores cause she's a lovely person and I don't really wanna inconvenience her. Plus, running a store must be hard and I don't wanna add anymore stress haha.

EDIT: Just went back in store and spoke with her again about working in a couple of departments and she said that's a much better idea so she called someone else and said that I'm free to work for them and she's fine with it. That's pretty damn great to hear :) Thanks for the advice y'all!

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
Ah bugger I asked my Supervisor and she said I can go for it and work for two stores but she doesn't really like it. I'm gonna decide to not work for 2 stores cause she's a lovely person and I don't really wanna inconvenience her. Plus, running a store must be hard and I don't wanna add anymore stress haha.

EDIT: Just went back in store and spoke with her again about working in a couple of departments and she said that's a much better idea so she called someone else and said that I'm free to work for them and she's fine with it. That's pretty damn great to hear :) Thanks for the advice y'all!
Awesome.

Just heard our front end manager go off at someone who had been working too many shifts at too many stores. We had to cut some of her shifts at our store to avoid overtime.

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Sorry for all the questions recently, but how what should I be looking out for when put on self checkout? I know I should definitely be looking out for people who try and take things and also clear baskets as well as helping people out/pricechecks. Also how would I go about approaching people that have taken things without scanning them? I don't want to come off as rude but I have a very strong dislike people that try to steal.

The only line I know is "Hey sir/maam, I don't think that item scanned through correctly".

Katebrunner

HSC
The only line I know is "Hey sir/maam, I don't think that item scanned through correctly".
Thats a good line to use cause it doesn't sound like you're accusing them. But I wouldn't say "hey" I would say "excuse me"

undertides

HSC
Sorry for all the questions recently, but how what should I be looking out for when put on self checkout? I know I should definitely be looking out for people who try and take things and also clear baskets as well as helping people out/pricechecks. Also how would I go about approaching people that have taken things without scanning them? I don't want to come off as rude but I have a very strong dislike people that try to steal.

Pretty much what everyone else said. Offer to help them scan it. And let your supervisor know if they keep it up. We've had repeat offenders at my store and they've been banned. Not having the scales in the bagging area like at Coles, etc, has been a blessing and a curse.

nanakid12

HSC
Why do customers with accounts always come at the busiest time of the day :cry:

This also applies to:
* carpet cleaner hirer
* "what kind of Telstra phones have you guys got at the moment?"
* when a customer needs a receipt but the cashier has already moved onto the next sale so you have to go to electronic journal and print it but it prints out the back in the office
* customers at smokeshop "what's your cheapest packet of smokes?" or "whats cheaper per smoke, Bond Street 40s or JPS 26s?"

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)