The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

subtekjr

HSC
You can't apply for annual leave yourself without giving I think over a week's notice. If you're granted leave for Saturday, the office staff need to put it into the system, the payroll system is Kronos. You don't need to worry about Kronos, you'll never use it. If they give it to you as a holiday day, it will show up as unplanned leave, there isn't a huge difference.

Katebrunner

HSC
You can't apply for annual leave yourself without giving I think over a week's notice. If you're granted leave for Saturday, the office staff need to put it into the system, the payroll system is Kronos. You don't need to worry about Kronos, you'll never use it. If they give it to you as a holiday day, it will show up as unplanned leave, there isn't a huge difference.
Yeah!

stjep1

HSC
Hi. We are a group of design students from the University of Sydney who are working on an assignment to create a futuristic shopping experience.
We are trying to gather data for our research, and the more we can get, the better! We have two links below. The first survey is for anybody that has used a checkout as a customer, whilst the second is for any staff member that has operated a traditional checkout and/or self-service checkout.

Customer Survey - https://goo.gl/forms/rnZ2C74Km72YV27e2

Staff Survey - https://goo.gl/forms/iYdLZyTO04eo41d12

Any help would be fantastic. Thanks!

undertides

HSC
Pardon my ignorance, Woolies is my first and only job so far, but I spoke to my manager about part time and she seemed fine with the idea... now what are the benefits besides stability? I don't really understand how paid personal and sick leave work. Are they accrued?

subtekjr

HSC
Pardon my ignorance, Woolies is my first and only job so far, but I spoke to my manager about part time and she seemed fine with the idea... now what are the benefits besides stability? I don't really understand how paid personal and sick leave work. Are they accrued?
Stability, security, leave and safety.

You get a stable roster, with a minimum, contracted set of hours. You are guaranteed AT LEAST the hours your contract states. There is only one way they can drop your hours without you agreeing to it: By cutting all casual hours, pulling all Flex Up hours and calling for volunteers to drop hours. If they get through each of these stages, and are still overspending, they can cut part time (not full time) hours. They still have to pay you for the full hours for four? weeks after you stop working those hours.

You don't run the risk of losing all your hours in place of being fired. Casuals can be "fired", by just cutting all of their shifts in favour of other people's. It's unlikely, but you have that security.

Annual leave is accrued weekly for part time workers, on a pro rata basis. Basically, your hours worked/38 * 152 / 52 is the formula they use. If you work 10 hours in a week, you gain 0.76 hours annual leave. You get four weeks annual leave a year (152 hours for full timers), so every week, you earn 4/52 (or 1/13) of a week's work.

Sick (Personal, it's the same thing) is earned the same way, but with just 11 days sick leave a year (83.6 hours for a full timer). Your formula for leave gained is Hours / 38 * 83.6 / 52. For 10 hours a week, you earn 0.42 hours Sick leave.

The leave you gain changes every week you work depending on hours worked, not hours rostered. If you calculate your average hours at the end of the year, you should get 4 weeks of that average in annual leave, total, and 11 days at that rate sick leave.

You can also join the union as a part timer, which takes $3.95 a week from your pay I believe as a part timer, and basically means you have the ability to take disputes to the SDA, are protected by them etc. In reality it does nothing, but it prevents employers from looking at who's in the union and picking on those who aren't because they don't have the union behind them.

Part time isn't a bad gig, it's certainly not worth it pay wise, but the sheer fact you can take days off without worrying about making your bills for the week, and you get paid holidays, as well as the guaranteed shifts every week, makes it a pretty good deal.

Also, you can always refuse extra shifts without losing hours the next week. You're part time, not on call.

BSammy

HSC
You can also join the union as a part timer, which takes $3.95 a week from your pay I believe as a part timer, and basically means you have the ability to take disputes to the SDA, are protected by them etc. In reality it does nothing, but it prevents employers from looking at who's in the union and picking on those who aren't because they don't have the union behind them.
Remember, there's no longer just one union. RAFFWU is the better choice, I'll just leave this link here again.
raffwu.org.au
It's nice to be in a union that actually gives a shit about the workers.

undertides

HSC
Thank you both for such thorough answers! This is really helpful. The pay cut will suck but at the moment my shifts are so infrequent it's not easy to live on.

quick_throwaway

HSC
Thank you both for such thorough answers! This is really helpful. The pay cut will suck but at the moment my shifts are so infrequent it's not easy to live on.
yeah trust me, go part time. As soon as too many of the CSM's reliable workers turn 20 at once, TRUST ME, they will go on a hiring spree, to find younger cheaper school kids to basically replace you and then you'll only get a 3 hour shift a week (or none), or rely on being called in which is shit.

You may be getting a decent 10h a week now as a casual - but who's to say you will still be getting them later? Thats what I hate about casual, nothings a guarantee - even if you're rostered on, on the day itself, you can be sent home early if its too quiet

Go part time to secure Woolies as basically part of your weekly routine ^^

undertides

HSC
yeah trust me, go part time. As soon as too many of the CSM's reliable workers turn 20 at once, TRUST ME, they will go on a hiring spree, to find younger cheaper school kids to basically replace you and then you'll only get a 3 hour shift a week (or none), or rely on being called in which is shit.

You may be getting a decent 10h a week now as a casual - but who's to say you will still be getting them later? Thats what I hate about casual, nothings a guarantee - even if you're rostered on, on the day itself, you can be sent home early if its too quiet

Go part time to secure Woolies as basically part of your weekly routine ^^
Yeah, I'm in my twenties now and I definitely get rostered much less than the school kids. Thanks for the advice, my manager said she'd discuss it with me again soon so fingers are crossed!

quick_throwaway

HSC
Hey guys, has your store ran out of the Marvel Discs yet? Mine has and won't be restocked again.

Gotta love telling customers that and then getting a sigh and an eye-roll :/

Xantios

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, has your store ran out of the Marvel Discs yet? Mine has and won't be restocked again.

We still have some. Enough to last until Tuesday? I'm not certain.

It's hilarious reading the WW Facebook page and the way customers are whining and complaining like spoiled children over a few bits of plastic. :D

Last edited:

quick_throwaway

HSC
We still have some. Enough to last until Tuesday? I'm not certain.

It's hilarious reading the WW Facebook page and the way customers are whining and complaining like spoiled children over a few bits of plastic. :D
Don't read that page, you will lose your sanity very easily - the things that customers complain about are so stupid and some of them are flat out insolent . i try not to read it. Especially as many customers there love bitching about staff, I nearly lost some of my sanity when I read one post where a customer had ONE bottle of milk. No checkouts open cuz late. Still refused to put it through self serve because he didn't get a discount for it, I mean seriously?

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
Hey guys can anyone tell me about Long Service Leave? Does it differ depending what state you're in? I've been PPT for around 6 years and casual for nearly three years before that. My 10 year anniversary is coming up mid-next year and I've sort of been hanging out for it to take my LSL and then resign.

I've gotten a really awesome new job this year and I'd prefer to work here full time if I could, Woolies feels like more of an interference in my life than anything nowadays. Can anyone tell me if LSL is pro-rated depending how many hours you do a year (which is what my SSO told me)? I'm moving back to QLD soon so if that makes any difference. I just want to know if its worth it. I thought I should possibly call the union to see what they say the go is, but yeah wanted to see what you guys say :)

Thanks guys.

undertides

HSC

We've run out and IIRC won't be restocked. Had some customers ask us to call other stores. :lol:

BSammy

HSC
Hey guys can anyone tell me about Long Service Leave? Does it differ depending what state you're in? I've been PPT for around 6 years and casual for nearly three years before that. My 10 year anniversary is coming up mid-next year and I've sort of been hanging out for it to take my LSL and then resign.

I've gotten a really awesome new job this year and I'd prefer to work here full time if I could, Woolies feels like more of an interference in my life than anything nowadays. Can anyone tell me if LSL is pro-rated depending how many hours you do a year (which is what my SSO told me)? I'm moving back to QLD soon so if that makes any difference. I just want to know if its worth it. I thought I should possibly call the union to see what they say the go is, but yeah wanted to see what you guys say :)

Thanks guys.
so the amount you get paid is based on the weekly average of what you worked either the last year or last three years, whichever is greater.

if you are only sticking around to take your long service leave, don't bother. whatever you have earned so far will be paid out on termination after 7 years.

http://www.business.vic.gov.au/hiri...long-service-leave-act-employment-termination

nanakid12

HSC
Thats in VIC though, I just looked at the QLD website and it says this:

Between 7 and 10 years’ continuous service

Employees may have an entitlement to receive proportionate payment of long service leave on termination of employment after completing 7 years continuous service.

However, employees who have completed 7 but less than 10 years’ continuous service are entitled to pro-rata long service leave only if the primary reason for the termination falls within the following criteria:

The employee's service is terminated by their death.
The employee terminates their service because of their illness or incapacity or because of a domestic or other pressing necessity.
The employer dismisses the employee for a reason other than the employee's conduct, capacity or performance.
The employer unfairly dismisses the employee.
Source: https://www.business.qld.gov.au/running-business/employing/employee-rights/long-service-leave/entitlements

Why is QLD so backwards :(

undertides

HSC
What is the N/A system at your respective stores? I wish ours was online. We have a book and no matter how much notice I give, I still get scheduled on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)