The worst job you've ever had? (1 Viewer)

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Describe the nightmare...

Mine was a sales one, my first one, during the first half of Decemeber (4th to 20th) 2006, standing in the middle of a street near train stations trying to pitch people to join the Red Cross/Heart Research etc...

- The prettier girls made more sales by wearing tiny tops, being slimes and batting their eyelashes, refusing to let people go until they sign up.
- The heat was unbearable and your leader's your everything - if you get a bad one, you're gone, you wouldn't finish until 9pm. (PITCH PITCH PITCH...Hi how's it going?...GO AWAY!!!)
- You work 6 days a week, the 6th day being optional, 7:15am to 7:00pm - You have no time to sit down and think about your day/week, or your mental state. On Sunday you just 'die'.
- Most people in the job never completed their HSCs, so seriously, they're a bit mad. Their job's their everything.
- They hardly give you a break, you feet kill, there's no hourly rate, you like make sales to make money or you don't get anything for the day, so you feel like a slave while everyone else carries on with their lives, bustling in the city.
- You get people brushing you off saying: GET A REAL JOB. You feel like a nobody. Rather you feel like a slime trying to get money out of a commoner's pockets. You find yourself thinking about money all the time.

To top it off, it landed me in hospital with a bleeding stomach ulcer and anaemia - needles!!!...and the hospital's a jail. You get so lonely in there and they put me in a room full of old women. That's when I lost really lost - emotionally, mentally and physically...almost lead to a breakup with my b.f. 'cos he just needed affection so badly and I was just lost inside myself.

It's just the lies used to relate to people, the pressure and working with people who've lost their souls...you start to lose your soul as well - while getting emotionally/mentally abused.

It's the first time that I actually lost my soul.

Last edited:

trao06

HSC
wow.. can't say mine was THAT bad lol

when i was 15..

-SUBWAY.

-pay of $6 an hour, including sundays, when even the award wage is $6.35

-REALLY bitchy ladies who expect you to not ask questions about anything, just know it all having worked there for a week

-them making you do all the bad jobs like putting your hand (with a glove of course) into a FREEZING cold bucket of pickles and pulling them out.. eew lol

-getting absolutely swamped with customers at lunchtimes (this was castle towers lol) with no break to take a breath for at least half an hour

-no 15 minute break unless you've worked 7 hours in a row. you're supposed to get a half hour break every 4 hours.

-i got tendinitis in my wrist, which stayed with me for like a year even though i worked there only for 2 months lol, from lifting the toaster pan at that angle! (cant say that was subways fault though)

as bad as the job was, free cookies and subs lol!

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
trao06 said:

when i was 15..

-SUBWAY.

-REALLY bitchy ladies who expect you to not ask questions about anything, just know it all having worked there for a week

-them making you do all the bad jobs like putting your hand (with a glove of course) into a FREEZING cold bucket of pickles and pulling them out.. eew lol

-getting absolutely swamped with customers at lunchtimes (this was castle towers lol) with no break to take a breath for at least half an hour lol 30 mins of non-stop work? thats crazy! If you work in a fast food joint, as if you wouldn't expect a lunchtime rush:confused:

-no 15 minute break unless you've worked 7 hours in a row. you're supposed to get a half hour break every 4 hours.No you are not. Most likely that you were casual and your break time would depend on employer

-i got tendinitis in my wrist, which stayed with me for like a year even though i worked there only for 2 months lol, from lifting the toaster pan at that angle! (cant say that was subways fault though)

I think the problem is that you were 15. Those years are to be spent high on drugs and catching STDs. :)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
It's probably not as bad as other jobs, but I really dislike waitressing. I got paid quite well (better than most cafes) and tipped nicely, but it was always quite daunting. It's so different to other industries.

I don't know if it was just me or that customers expect better service from hospitality than any other industry. I can't explain further, it's just that vibe. Then again, I worked at a fairly "fancy" cafe.

And the manual work, gah.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I worked for chilli's for about a year... between year 11 and 12, it was terrible, they never paid me the right amount, the working conditions were pretty shit (tiny, cramped kitchen) and the hours they'd give me were stupid.

Others i've talked to have had similar experiences working for that particular resturant, they had a remarkably low retention rate.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
My worst job was in a fruit shop. I stuck it out for a year to get GuvLuv, but 2005 was Hell:

- 12-hour shifts starting at 6.30 in the morning
- Usually seven a week during Christmas and Easter
- Mucking out the spud hopper and dealing with rotten shit
- Getting caught in a tug-of-war between sections of management
- Expected to surrender breaks if needed; usually didn't get them back
Not-That-Bright said:
Nah I like the pain. ;)
Would it pain you more to walk on water than to wear a crown of thorns?

CieL

HSC
Waitressing..... the job itself isnt bad, but when you put it next to my pay, it was soooo shit.....

And it was *ahem* cash, so I got like $10/hr and tips were almost next to nothing [i dont think they distributed it right.. and pocketed most], but anyway.. no penalty rates of course.. I remember my last day was Valentines day, and there was a SWARM of customers lining out the door.. and I was running my ass off on a 10hr shift.. for some reason, they only employed 5 waitstaff that whole day.. all doing doubles, in a two storey cafe.. which seats around 150 people usually, but we shifted the tables into pairs that night so even more seats and more people...

I ran upstairs n downstairs the whole night cos I was downstairs and the kitchen is downstairs.. we had 3 people downstairs.. and we had to:
1. take orders
2. bring the food upstairs AND downstairs
3. do the cutlery and plates [we had about 14 buckets of cutlery and 10 stacks of plates that night]
4. clear and reset downstairs

Upstairs people just needed to take orders, then clear and reset.. that is all.. and they had two people..

That night was fucking hell..

Near the end of the night, the bosses had "vip" people come in, and they had platters of meat... and since I'd been lifting heavy plates on my fingers and arms the whole night, my arm was sore n shit already, and to balance 8-10kgs of crap on your fingertips was insanely stupid.. and since we usually dont have those platters, I thought taking two at a time was a good idea.. WRONG.. I nearly dropped the plates cos my fingers were hurting so much and my biceps were giving up..

And the manager hates me there. He asked everyone for a free drink except me. Fuck you too.

And I quitted.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
trao06 said:

when i was 15..

-SUBWAY.

-getting absolutely swamped with customers at lunchtimes (this was castle towers lol) with no break to take a breath for at least half an hour

-no 15 minute break unless you've worked 7 hours in a row. you're supposed to get a half hour break every 4 hours.

$6/hour for a 15 year old working at a fast food franchise, sounds about right, as most of the employees are shit. I hear a lot of teenagers complaining about how shit their pay is, when they can't even follow a simple order from a customer, as well as not contributing anything valuable to the business. If they want more, then they should demonstrate it and thus they will see an increase in their pay and status.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
market research call centre
great pay 18/hr - no penalty rates tho - worked 9-6 on sundays and no extra rates
quotas were ridiculous for the types of surveys and how long they took - surveyees asked how long it would take you say 5 minutes to get them to do the survey some people go your time starts now....and cut you off at 5 minutes - which usually meant you couldnt record it as your survey completed

lasted 3 months

Atilla89

HSC
Easy, working at cheap 'n cheerful Franklins for $6:50 an hour. 7am till 1pm on both days of the weekend. I had to wake up at 6am on both days so I never slept in for the whole of yr 10! Kept at it for a year and then never went back in again.

P.S. Fuck you Franklins for taking away my sleep!

CieL

HSC
Atilla89 said:
Easy, working at cheap 'n cheerful Franklins for $6:50 an hour. 7am till 1pm on both days of the weekend. I had to wake up at 6am on both days so I never slept in for the whole of yr 10! Kept at it for a year and then never went back in again.

As if doing 7am starts are bad.... I do 5:30am STARTS.... meaning I have to wake up at 4 something in the morning, when it's still pitch black....

So today I did a 5:30am start.... i'm going to a friend's bday tonight in the city [starts at 8].... get home by midnight hopefully if Cityrail doesnt screw me over.... sleep for maybe 3-4hrs, then work a 9hr shift

Oh the joys =]

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Atilla89 said:

So, why is it Franklins fault, when you were the one that decided to become an employee of it's business?

CieL

HSC
And decided to do the shifts =]
And put yourself as available at those times.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
If they want more, then they should demonstrate it and thus they will see an increase in their pay and status.
That's EXTREMELY unrealistic. Have you ever had a job?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
fnkychk said:
That's EXTREMELY unrealistic. Have you ever had a job?
In Febuary i earned $360/month. Now it's May and not only have i been promoted, i earned on average $1200 a month, working 10 hours a week. And, this is just retailing, i'm not including things such as wholesales and royalties which i am entitled to. So, how can you justify that being EXTREMELY unrealistic?

You don't get paid for the hours you work, you get paid for the work you actually do. If the employee is able to demonstrate they're a valuable asset over a period of time, the employer will most likely move them up to a higher position and thus they will have a higher income or wage.

Last edited:

wanton-wonton

HSC
Cykologi_gal said:
Describe the nightmare...

Mine was a sales one, my first one, during the first half of Decemeber (4th to 20th) 2006, standing in the middle of a street near train stations trying to pitch people to join the Red Cross/Heart Research etc...

- The prettier girls made more sales by wearing tiny tops, being slimes and batting their eyelashes, refusing to let people go until they sign up.
- The heat was unbearable and your leader's your everything - if you get a bad one, you're gone, you wouldn't finish until 9pm. (PITCH PITCH PITCH...Hi how's it going?...GO AWAY!!!)
- You work 6 days a week, the 6th day being optional, 7:15am to 7:00pm - You have no time to sit down and think about your day/week, or your mental state. On Sunday you just 'die'.
- Most people in the job never completed their HSCs, so seriously, they're a bit mad. Their job's their everything.
- They hardly give you a break, you feet kill, there's no hourly rate, you like make sales to make money or you don't get anything for the day, so you feel like a slave while everyone else carries on with their lives, bustling in the city.
- You get people brushing you off saying: GET A REAL JOB. You feel like a nobody. Rather you feel like a slime trying to get money out of a commoner's pockets. You find yourself thinking about money all the time.

To top it off, it landed me in hospital with a bleeding stomach ulcer and anaemia - needles!!!...and the hospital's a jail. You get so lonely in there and they put me in a room full of old women. That's when I lost really lost - emotionally, mentally and physically...almost lead to a breakup with my b.f. 'cos he just needed affection so badly and I was just lost inside myself.

It's just the lies used to relate to people, the pressure and working with people who've lost their souls...you start to lose your soul as well - while getting emotionally/mentally abused.

It's the first time that I actually lost my soul.
Sounds like the shitty Cobra jobs you'd do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)