The worst job you've ever had? (1 Viewer)

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
In Febuary i earned $360/month. Now it's May and not only have i been promoted, i earned on average $1200 a month, working 10 hours a week. And, this is just retailing, i'm not including things such as wholesales and royalties which i am entitled to. So, how can you justify that being EXTREMELY unrealistic?
So in febuary you originally earned $9/hour ($360 for 40 hrs work over a month) and now you're getting $30/hour ON AVERAGE?

Where do you work? (or maybe more importantly, who do you work for? :p)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
s-p-a-c-e-d said:
So in febuary you originally earned $9/hour ($360 for 40 hrs work over a month) and now you're getting $30/hour ON AVERAGE?

Where do you work? (or maybe more importantly, who do you work for? :p)
I'm a qualified health consultant and supervisor at Herbalife International.

kow_dude

HSC
You dont need to be "qualified" to be a health consultant at Herbalife. Herbalife employees are essentially manipulative salespeople.

I know what i'm talking about because i was a former Herbalife employee.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
I used to think working at Safeway as a pretty good casual job.

Now that I have this new job (a casual one with a government organisation), I'm starting to despise it [Safeway]...have other people come to such realisations too?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
fnkychk said:
You're talking about a sales job you smartass. You don't go to Maccas and sweep more enthusiastically than the rest and then get a raise.

I feel that way about my casual Safeway job, especially when I got a better paid, more interesting job. I'm still there for the discount card and as a back-up, but I'm on leave for 10 weeks.
If you work casually, you may firstly be given this and this role, but overtime you most likely will be moved around, in order for the business to be more flexible, if something happens. And yes, I have had previous work experiences prior to what I’m doing. If you're able to work diligently in various areas over a sustained period of time, always be on time and do a job faster or better then other, I’m sure your performance will be noticed. Thus, more then likely you get more shifts and probably more complex roles such as managing and training other employees. Why, people get shit pay and not a lot of hours, besides the reason of cheaper labour? Because, they have not demonstrated that they're capable of doing more complex tasks and in solving problems in a logical manner, which employers are looking for. If you were a CEO of a company and went for a position at Maccas, will they give you a job of flipping burgers?

My friend was 16 when he started working at a cinema and he became a supervisor when he was 17. He get paid more, even though he started off with the same duties as others around him, and worked for a shorter period time. But the real element to consider is, if the employer was not able to see that he was adding value to the business through his services, would he be able to obtain his current role? Because others around the same age group, did exactly what he did, for a longer period of time, and still are at their current level.

And no, my retailing commission alone increased by 25%, after getting promoted. So, I'm not talking about the money i would make from retailing alone, as if i did the exact same thing, i would be making on average $600/month.

Last edited:

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
everybody has got to start somewhere...

trento654

HSC
i picked up golfballs at a driving range in summer when i was 14,

12 hrs in the heat wearing padding and a helmet, which was to big for me, while picking up balls with a can attached golf club stick

i got hit in the back, where i had no protection, at least 15 times, only place i ever got hit

McLoving

HSC
wow.. Can't say mine was that bad lol

when i was 15..

-subway.

-pay of $6 an hour, including sundays, when even the award wage is $6.35

-really bitchy ladies who expect you to not ask questions about anything, just know it all having worked there for a week

-them making you do all the bad jobs like putting your hand (with a glove of course) into a freezing cold bucket of pickles and pulling them out.. Eew lol

-getting absolutely swamped with customers at lunchtimes (this was castle towers lol) with no break to take a breath for at least half an hour

-no 15 minute break unless you've worked 7 hours in a row. You're supposed to get a half hour break every 4 hours.

-i got tendinitis in my wrist, which stayed with me for like a year even though i worked there only for 2 months lol, from lifting the toaster pan at that angle! (cant say that was subways fault though)

as bad as the job was, free cookies and subs lol!
hehe ha

matttayl

matskiez'
HSC
i picked up golfballs at a driving range in summer when i was 14,

12 hrs in the heat wearing padding and a helmet, which was to big for me, while picking up balls with a can attached golf club stick

i got hit in the back, where i had no protection, at least 15 times, only place i ever got hit
rofl been there done that except we had a tractor with basket things on the front that picked up the balls. Guaranteed the worlds most repetitive job + shit money

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
wow.. can't say mine was THAT bad lol

when i was 15..

-SUBWAY.

-pay of $6 an hour, including sundays, when even the award wage is $6.35

-REALLY bitchy ladies who expect you to not ask questions about anything, just know it all having worked there for a week

-them making you do all the bad jobs like putting your hand (with a glove of course) into a FREEZING cold bucket of pickles and pulling them out.. eew lol

-getting absolutely swamped with customers at lunchtimes (this was castle towers lol) with no break to take a breath for at least half an hour

-no 15 minute break unless you've worked 7 hours in a row. you're supposed to get a half hour break every 4 hours.

-i got tendinitis in my wrist, which stayed with me for like a year even though i worked there only for 2 months lol, from lifting the toaster pan at that angle! (cant say that was subways fault though)

as bad as the job was, free cookies and subs lol!
Maybe that is why your wage was $6/hour.

Kiim2507

HSC
!
Wow boo fucking hoo 30 minutes without a break :eek: someone call the union.
Thats why it's called the lunchtime rush. Sometimes I work 2hours+ full on serving customer after customer. And as soon as lunchtime rush is over we have to restock drinks, clean the dining room, mop etc.

Thats what you get paid for.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Wow boo fucking hoo 30 minutes without a break :eek: someone call the union.
Thats why it's called the lunchtime rush. Sometimes I work 2hours+ full on serving customer after customer. And as soon as lunchtime rush is over we have to restock drinks, clean the dining room, mop etc.

Thats what you get paid for.
You have a nice sense of humour.
Fastfood can be hardwork =)

akrinis

HSC
What was the WORST place you've worked at?

What's the worst place you've ever worked? Share the details of the management, and how it was like working there with the crew, the cleanliness.... etc.

I landed my first job at McDonalds Liverpool F/C. It was the WORST place I've ever worked at. The management was a joke, the crew were unfriendly and unclean, the pay was utter crap compared to other Maccas restaurants who pay you the normal, grade 2 rate when you first start out.

There were always too many crew members working at one time, which led to confusion. The crew trainers do a really crap job of training new crew. They often gave me different methods of doing the work, so time after time I was yelled at by another crew-trainer or manager for 'doing things the wrong way'.

The management was shit. When I went to Orientation, they didn't warn you about all the hazards in the store when working, no emphasis on safety. On my first shift I wasn't even provided with my uniform yet - I was never given pants, and they gave me an old, worn out shirt which hardly fit.

The hours were terrible and after they're done abusing their new trainees by giving us shit 'training wage' they cut down our shifts till we have just 1 a week so that they can fill up their shifts with MORE TRAINEES.

It just shows you how little respect this store had for it's crew. Becoming a crew-trainer wasn't a difficult task, and even the most irresponsible people I've worked with at the store were crew trainers. It's shocking but when you have such an unorganized, dysfunctional workplace with a cheap, stingy store manager, poor management, and unfriendly crew members who were unclean and served you old nuggets that were past the 2 hour stage... well, you get the idea.

The store manager is a bum. He didn't pay me the correct wage (1.8x your rate) on public holidays like Australia Day, New Years Day, and if you were ever clocked on for more than 5 hours, they alter your payslip so it looks like you've had a break, when you never did on that shift. That's half an hour off your payslip.

I would strongly discourage anyone to choose McDonalds Liverpool F/C as their store. If you're someone who's not serious about teamwork, and don't mind bad work hours or having to deal with poor management, apply for this store.

When I quit, I sent them an email because I ddin't want to see them; bad decision. It didn't work and I had to personally come into the store to give them a resignation letter when, conveniently the store manager was absent from work that day and I was met with an angry faced assistant manager who gave me no notification that I had a shift that day (nothing on metime rosters at all) and then yelled at me for doing a 'No show'. It's really pathetic, but then even worse, I had applied at a different store and I couldn't get my hiring email from them because my details were still on the Metime tracking system so I had to call 2 days in a row constantly to get them to remove my details. Good riddance I was finally able to get away from the dumpster that is McDonalds Liverpool F/C @ Westfields.

I'm now working at another McDonalds restaurant - MUCH better. The crew are a lot friendlier and the management is very professional and they actually pay you for a PUBLIC HOLIDAY. Now, I realize how lucky I am to be working at this store when I look back my old restaurant.

gella

HSC
Re: What was the WORST place you've worked at?

haha err man that maccas looks so filthy
i used to work at michel's patisserie in liverpool too, the downstairs food court
my boss never paid anyone properly, and never gave me enough time for breaks. i used to work 8-5 on saturdays, and i only ever got a 15 minute break at around 10. :S not the best of places to work
it was also pretty filthy too. i had known of some small cakes that she would keep for over a week.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC

The "worst" place i have ever worked at is a bakery factory in Liverpool, It wasn't really that bad, but as you might guess it was constantly hot, and i get quite stressed when its very hot.

gella

HSC

are you serious? that place is filth. the amount of people i know who have quit from there due to reasons stated by OP is crazy. i know that maccas has shit pay as it is, but honestly, they just make it a million times worse by taking advantage of the young kids working there
working at maccas is shit enough, but im confident in saying that the one in livo food court is preeeeeeetty bad.

HSC

A pattern is emerging here; it involves Liverpool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)