The [YEAR 10] Work Experience Thread (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
So what has everyone done or will do for work experience?
When will you have to do it?
Or have you done it already?

I'm looking for some sort of work experience in the primary school I graduated from :jump:
And I will probably do work experience right after the SC exams :party:

So people, share your stories!

Jaymay

HSC
I worked in an amazing architecture studio 100 metres from the beach in Manly. They all got into their wetsuits, and went for a surf for lunch. Sah Ahmazing.
I also went to an amazing house designed by the firm, a meeting with council in some huge building where a partner proposed his new designs, and learnt some amazing shit
I did it the week after School Cert. I recommend to anyone to make work experience worthwhile.

Goodluck with yours :)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I worked in an amazing architecture studio 100 metres from the beach in Manly. They all got into their wetsuits, and went for a surf for lunch. Sah Ahmazing.
I also went to an amazing house designed by the firm, a meeting with council in some huge building where a partner proposed his new designs, and learnt some amazing shit
I did it the week after School Cert. I recommend to anyone to make work experience worthwhile.

Goodluck with yours :)
Sounds amazing.

hayabusaboston

HSC
I went to a neuroscience laboratory in Sydney, got to see real human brain in fixative!! And different bits of brains preserved. Also saw all the technology, attended a few lectures and seminars and saw a mouse get murdered... went behind the scenes for an fMRI scan, saw some REALLY hot female PhD students, worked with them too :) Lots of interesting experiments too. GREAT fun man.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I went to a neuroscience laboratory in Sydney, got to see real human brain in fixative!! And different bits of brains preserved. Also saw all the technology, attended a few lectures and seminars and saw a mouse get murdered... went behind the scenes for an fMRI scan, saw some REALLY hot female PhD students, worked with them too :) Lots of interesting experiments too. GREAT fun man.
Nice Nice.

starryblue

HSC
lolz, is that what u think about all day? =) and seriously? u actually got to see preserved brains?! sounds cool! once, i watched this human dissection video at science tutoring where they dissected the whole body...and then they dissected the brain which looked like sliced beef. it was until 1yr later, i started eating beef again D:

zombies

HSC
I'm going to be doing my work experience a week after the SC - going to the army barracks to hang out with the army band.. Don't really know what I'm doing for a whole week, but they asked for people to have an instrument they could play at ameb 6th grade minimum.. So maybe I'll get to play with them :D Which would be excellent.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I wish I did work experience in Yr 10. Any potential lawyers - get in contact with law firms - it can go a long way to helping you later on if you eventually want to pursue such a career.

I regret my school not taking the opportunity to organise work experience; and I regret not taking initiative myself to undertake it.

ljepoticax

HSC
I recently did work experience at a small local veterinary clinic which I found very disappointing and regretted my choice going there just because they were so immature and didn't have any respect at all for the safety of me, a "minor" in a adult work place and didn't bother filling out any forms that were needed including incident forms and emergency contact details. So i suggest you do your research and see if anyone else did work experience at the same place you're planning to go. Make sure you go to a mature and responsible environment where you'll feel safe as well as make sure all forms are filled, especially in case of emergencies. But don't get me wrong, work experience is an amazing opportunity to get the extra experience that can help you in your future goals.

apples-x3

HSC
I'm also planning to do Work Experience after the SC but I don't have much ideas of where to go :S Btw guys, when you contact the work experience place did you guys call them or visit them? O:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I'm also planning to do Work Experience after the SC but I don't have much ideas of where to go :S Btw guys, when you contact the work experience place did you guys call them or visit them? O:
Both would work.

It is a bit late to do this isn't it? Most places would be full

greenboxes

HSC
N/A
If you're interested in politics you could always do your local MP... depending on who that is you may or may not become a laminating slave for the week.

HSC
I found very disappointing and regretted my choice going there just because they were so immature and didn't have any respect at all for the safety of me, a "minor" in a adult work place and didn't bother filling out any forms that were needed including incident forms and emergency contact details.
Really?! My school pretty much made us have to get our place to sign a form to say something along those lines, and give contact numbers, agree to the t&c's etc.

btw. I did mine at a medical research lab. HEAPS OF FUN. Basically researched and performed experiments all day long on DNA, and leukemia. I used high tech equipment to see the leukemia cells I grew, and all that. LOTS of pipetting though.

A friend of mine went to a similar place and watched mice get killed. :|

timinator1993

HSC
IN year 10 I did work experience in a local computer repair/sales shop, ended up getting a job and working there for the last 3 years, assistant manager, senior technician :) Possible new owner of another branch opening in parramatta.
tl;dr work experience canopen doors, friend is now a regular contributor to the local paper as he got work experience there.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
IN year 10 I did work experience in a local computer repair/sales shop, ended up getting a job and working there for the last 3 years, assistant manager, senior technician :) Possible new owner of another branch opening in parramatta.
tl;dr work experience canopen doors, friend is now a regular contributor to the local paper as he got work experience there.
wow that's lucky. When I went to mine, they couldn't care less lol. They made me buy coffee for them across the road. ><

wildchild666

HSC
My grade did work experience near the start of this year.

I did work experience with a doctor. Didn't really do much. I was only there for about two hours each day so I obviously didn't get much out of it.

ljepoticax

HSC
I actually did the work experience through my school, I found it was a lot easier but I would recommend for you to go and visit them just because it'll be a little more forward and they'll get the meet you straight away and it'll just be nicer maybe?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
My primary school work experience got dragged back to Week 8 (Sad Face)

HSC
I went to a vet clinic for work experience in the last week of last term and it was amazing. I got a job out of it and everything!!! But really, it was great fun and they treated me excellently and they gave me a lot of responsibility which was good. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience lejoticax :( It was a great experience even though I didn't get to do what I really wanted to - I wanted to do work experience with the Navy but the only program in the assigned week in Sydney was with the Navy Band and I am musically incompetent...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)