The [YEAR 10] Work Experience Thread (1 Viewer)

leesh95

HSC
I did my work experience at a local pharmacy. It was kind of all right except they just made me clean the shelves, vaccum and clean more shelves. I barely got to see the pharmacy part of it, only spent about an hour or two with the pharmacists out of all 5 days. They focused more on the retail section.
I only did it because I am interested in medicine but I now wish I researched some more since it was pretty useless unless I want to open a shop or cleaning firm.
I would suggest everyone who is interested in doing work experience to ask around and research before deciding where to do it at.

zombies

HSC
Just finished my week of work experience! I'm actually really sad that it's over, I really thoroughly enjoyed my week and if anyone is interested in a career in Defence or a career as a professional musician you should check out the Sydney Army Band. I got to spend the week playing with the band in their rehearsals (although some pieces were too hard obviously lol) and did some stuff on Sibelius, had time to privately practice, and got to leave early (at like 1pm) two days of the week. Everyone there is seriously nice and friendly and even though it's an Army band there's a really casual atmosphere, people are joking around (and swearing.. although they tried not to do it since work exp kids were around lol) and everyone just has fun playing their instrument :D

Only downside was that since it is an army band, there is a fitness side to it so I got to try out the basic fitness test and had to do a 2.4km run which I totally failed at, I'm pretty unfit (which comes from spending all my time at the computer lol) and so I didn't really have any endurance and you're supposed to get it done in like 12mins but I have no idea how long I took.. I don't wanna go back to school now. It was a really great week~

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Just finished my week of work experience! I'm actually really sad that it's over, I really thoroughly enjoyed my week and if anyone is interested in a career in Defence or a career as a professional musician you should check out the Sydney Army Band. I got to spend the week playing with the band in their rehearsals (although some pieces were too hard obviously lol) and did some stuff on Sibelius, had time to privately practice, and got to leave early (at like 1pm) two days of the week. Everyone there is seriously nice and friendly and even though it's an Army band there's a really casual atmosphere, people are joking around (and swearing.. although they tried not to do it since work exp kids were around lol) and everyone just has fun playing their instrument :D

Only downside was that since it is an army band, there is a fitness side to it so I got to try out the basic fitness test and had to do a 2.4km run which I totally failed at, I'm pretty unfit (which comes from spending all my time at the computer lol) and so I didn't really have any endurance and you're supposed to get it done in like 12mins but I have no idea how long I took.. I don't wanna go back to school now. It was a really great week~
Sounded like fun... I'm doing mine at my old primary school next week! Can't wait to visit my primary school since I haven't visited after entering high school...
But, farrrr my school makes us fill out a work experience assignment booklet so there's work involved =/

zombies

HSC
Sounded like fun... I'm doing mine at my old primary school next week! Can't wait to visit my primary school since I haven't visited after entering high school...
But, farrrr my school makes us fill out a work experience assignment booklet so there's work involved =/
Nice! I've never gone back to my primary school.. was planning on doing it but never got around to it, I guess. Have fun!

hayabusaboston

HSC
lolz, is that what u think about all day? =) and seriously? u actually got to see preserved brains?! sounds cool! once, i watched this human dissection video at science tutoring where they dissected the whole body...and then they dissected the brain which looked like sliced beef. it was until 1yr later, i started eating beef again D:
Heh not all day, these PhD girls were rather exceptional though ;) Yea saw real human brains preserved, went down to a dimly lit room below the main building and put on gloves and coat, then the PhD student opened up a box and BAM! REAL brain of a human. Was odd thinking about the fact that the thing I was looking at was actually in someones skull at one time, and even more odd thinking about the fact that the smelly, rubbery conglomerate of matter was actually inside my own skull too.... ohhh nauseating it was haha. When you cut it up, it has the same texture and appearance as sliced chicken, and looks very much the same too when its in fixative.

Jessicaz2910

HSC
i did a week with the Royal North shore hospital during my holidays - got up at 5am eachday so i could make the 7am - 3pm shift - that was really something... in the holidays. :p then during the actual workexp week i did 2 days at a dental hospital (not your normal dentist), 2 days at the sydney adventist hospital (completely observational, though came across quite interesting/sad cases). then i went to a vet hospital for the last day.
lol i guess you can see the trend of wanting to work in a hospital

hayabusaboston

HSC
i did a week with the Royal North shore hospital during my holidays - got up at 5am eachday so i could make the 7am - 3pm shift - that was really something... in the holidays. :p then during the actual workexp week i did 2 days at a dental hospital (not your normal dentist), 2 days at the sydney adventist hospital (completely observational, though came across quite interesting/sad cases). then i went to a vet hospital for the last day.
lol i guess you can see the trend of wanting to work in a hospital
dang, 5am every day!!?? wow you had a great medical experience though

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I did my work experience at a Takeaway shop. "Why?" I hear you ask.

- 5 minutes walk from my place.

- Free BBQ chicken skins (everybody loves the skin!)

- Unlimited sandwiches, with any choice of filling

- Unlimited coffee/hot chocolate

- Unlimited hot chops (but I didn't really use that, don't like them too much)

Epic win for me. I couldn't care less about the fact that it was just a takeaway shop.

bluecrisps

HSC
fuu >< called like 20 law firms and emailed 10 all rejected ! Need moar ideas people tell meeeeeee!

Ellaphant

HSC
Instead of getting work experience in law firms you could go to public court cases and note down whatever you need to know or find interesting while watching a lawyer in action! :-D

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Hmm, my school doesn't make it compulsory to do work experience. We only do it if we feel we want to do it, where we have to go through a process with the school advisor.

sassy-cat

HSC
So what has everyone done or will do for work experience?
When will you have to do it?
Or have you done it already?

I'm looking for some sort of work experience in the primary school I graduated from :jump:
And I will probably do work experience right after the SC exams :party:

So people, share your stories!

I am currently in year ten and I've done both of my work experiences at my previous primary school. I enjoyed it both times because I was put into a kindergarten class with a teacher I was very fond with. I did it last year, once in May and another in October and since I chose work ed again this year, I'm doing work experience again but some place different this time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)