there's so much b.s. flying around, i just dont know the correct answer.... (1 Viewer)

minty388

HSC
so we got our italian assessment marks back today...i got 11/15 and it was worth 10%... i could have done better but threw away marks coz i was lazy with my grammar :( (Almost cried in class)

The top mark was 14/15, and my rank was 8/8 *cry*... what does your rank within the subject actually determine?? Does it matter that much?

I've looked through the other thread about ranking, but it just confused the heck out of me even more... can someone explain it to me?

Thanks

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Higher rank = better, u still have time, dw.

Difference is small...

K

Kozak92

If you're 8/8 if with 11/15 that means you have a strong group of students. Rank is pretty much everything. The ATAR itself is a ranking..

8th with an 11/15 and 1st with a 14/15 is a good sign though. It shows that you're close to the top and could easily be 1st by the end of the year.

muzeikchun852

HSC
tough competition is good. not like my physics class, half of them dont even listen to class.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It seems that your group is a a very tight group and your rank will not affect you very much.

Basically, the school will send in all your assessment marks and what weighting they are meant to correspond to. The Board of Studies will then use the results to make ranks (just as the school did, and the same way - they do it to make sure there is no cheating by schools)... The gaps between ranks are tried to be maintained to the very best.

These gaps are compared and placed with the external examination marks. With such close gaps in that assessment, you can expect the final rank gaps will be 5% max.

minty388

HSC
thanks heaps everyone :) you've cheered me up heaps :)

im back off to the books now! haha

Lloydo

HSC
so we got our italian assessment marks back today...i got 11/15 and it was worth 10%... i could have done better but threw away marks coz i was lazy with my grammar :( (Almost cried in class)

The top mark was 14/15, and my rank was 8/8 *cry*... what does your rank within the subject actually determine?? Does it matter that much?

I've looked through the other thread about ranking, but it just confused the heck out of me even more... can someone explain it to me?

Thanks

Worth only 10%... why even stress. First place is like 2% ahead of you in terms of overall percentage - you can basically close the gap with just one mark on a more heavily weighted assessment.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
It seems that your group is a a very tight group and your rank will not affect you very much.

Basically, the school will send in all your assessment marks and what weighting they are meant to correspond to. The Board of Studies will then use the results to make ranks (just as the school did, and the same way - they do it to make sure there is no cheating by schools)... The gaps between ranks are tried to be maintained to the very best.

These gaps are compared and placed with the external examination marks. With such close gaps in that assessment, you can expect the final rank gaps will be 5% max.
Yep, it's mark gaps that matter heaps and ranks are just an easy way of estimating your performance. The higher the rank the better off you are, but keep in mind it's better to be 5th and say 3 marks away from first than 2nd and 10 marks away from first - the reason why is explained above.

So despite you being 8/8, the weighting of the exam is quite small and you've a long way to go. Just work hard to minimise the gap and you'll be right :)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Note - Schools do NOT send all the assessment marks and the weightings but the one final mark per subject only.

The school does the marking and weighting (and even moderating themselves) and sends in one mark per student per subject. Schools can send in the weighted raw mark earned by each student or could moderate the cohort in some way e.g. adjust the standard deviation or add 10 marks to each student etc. They have to keep the relative gaps the same as earned by the weighted raw marks in the assessment marks but they can moderate them internally before sending them in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)