thinking about picking up engineering. need advice. (1 Viewer)

halapenyo

HSC
So im currently doing a B Comm/B Economics at UNSW. but so far in my degree im feeling slightly unsure whether it is the right degree for me. i really enjoy math1151 but in my other subjects (econ, acct, mgmt) i feel slightly unmotivated to do the work.

so i was talking to a friend of mine who does elec engineering at UTS and he said that engineering in uni uses a lot of maths (mechanics, projectile motion, inverse trig etc).

anyways could any of you engineering people point out wat sort of stuff you study and wat sort of assessments you have.

i would still like to keep comm since i like actuarial maths. but i was thinking about dropping the eco part of my degree and picking up engo.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Engineering (especially elec.) does involve a lot of mathematics, it is hardly mechanics, projectile motion and inverse trig ratios though. You might cover those in your first 4 weeks of university in S1 Year 1 in any engineering degree, although that will be all. It gets harder after that.

If you still want to keep commerce, some universities offer a combined science/X degree where X can be science, commerce, arts etc.

What you study will depend upon what discipline you choose (although much of first year engineering/science is the same). What are you interested in?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
So im currently doing a B Comm/B Economics at UNSW. but so far in my degree im feeling slightly unsure whether it is the right degree for me. i really enjoy math1151 but in my other subjects (econ, acct, mgmt) i feel slightly unmotivated to do the work.

so i was talking to a friend of mine who does elec engineering at UTS and he said that engineering in uni uses a lot of maths (mechanics, projectile motion, inverse trig etc).

anyways could any of you engineering people point out wat sort of stuff you study and wat sort of assessments you have.

i would still like to keep comm since i like actuarial maths. but i was thinking about dropping the eco part of my degree and picking up engo.
I wouldn't change to engineering purely because of maths.

You know there are advance maths degrees you can do

halapenyo

HSC
Engineering (especially elec.) does involve a lot of mathematics, it is hardly mechanics, projectile motion and inverse trig ratios though. You might cover those in your first 4 weeks of university in S1 Year 1 in any engineering degree, although that will be all. It gets harder after that.

If you still want to keep commerce, some universities offer a combined science/X degree where X can be science, commerce, arts etc.

What you study will depend upon what discipline you choose (although much of first year engineering/science is the same). What are you interested in?
interested in either chemical/electrical/civil or petroleum engineering.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Chem; good luck finding a job.

Elec; good luck with the maths

Civil; why do you find this interesting

petroleum; this would probably be fairly decent

Those are quite different fields you are interested in.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Honestly, do whatever you are interested in. You will struggle in anything you are not interested in. If you are interested in it you should perform well.

Electrical has a high failure/drop out/transfer degree rate though. I know a lot of people that have transferred to mechanical/civil as they couldn't cope with elec. eng.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
first year of civil is dominated by maths with mathematics and physics, and the surveying course using basic maths

when's your census date?

zombies

HSC
Sorry to chime but what do you guys think about Computer Science/Software Engineering? computer science or software engineering? Any good?

Last edited:

TheStallion

HSC
Comp sci/SE double degree sounds stupid, they're the same degree except SE just has a little bit more engineering sort of stuff.

D94

HSC
N/A
Comp sci/SE double degree sounds stupid, they're the same degree except SE just has a little bit more engineering sort of stuff.
It's so stupid that it's impossible to even combine those programs.

D94

HSC
N/A
Sorry to chime but what do you guys think about Computer Science/Software Engineering? Any good?
Well, whatever we say shouldn't have a strong bearing on your decision. But...do you like programming and concepts related to programming? C?

zombies

HSC
Well, whatever we say shouldn't have a strong bearing on your decision. But...do you like programming and concepts related to programming? C?
Nope, never tried any of it. But I would like to learn!
... the closest I ever got to any sort of code was back at the end of primary school/early high school when I was learning html/css and all that. wanted to be a website designer back then.

D94

HSC
N/A
Nope, never tried any of it. But I would like to learn!
... the closest I ever got to any sort of code was back at the end of primary school/early high school when I was learning html/css and all that. wanted to be a website designer back then.
Hm...sure, there are plenty of beginner programmers in CS so you wouldn't be alone as such. However, you will definitely need to put in hard work as the relevant courses aren't relatively easy. Let's say you want to do CS at UNSW, maybe start reading a bit of C so you get the idea of it. Programming is logic, so if you're logical then even if you haven't "programmed" before, you will still have a programming mindset.

zombies

HSC
Thanks :) Well, I still have 2yrs to think about it anyway.. I'll see how things go.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Thanks :) Well, I still have 2yrs to think about it anyway.. I'll see how things go.
If you're a girl that's going into Comp Sci or Software then you're going to be popular purely for the fact that you have a vagina

I would say that you'd be hard pressed to find any degree that you will enjoy every single course that is a part of it. I'm loving Software, but the courses can be really fucking shitty.

What is it about management, eco and accounting that you're finding unmotivating?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)