Thinking about taking 10 units as oppose to 12 (1 Viewer)

AtlasX

HSC
Well, I do many subjects that have a lot of content (Modern, Ancient, Business, probably even SOR II, and English Advanced).
I'm probably performing the worst in Modern. However, my teacher does have hope in me and I know I really can improve. It was just because I didn't finish my half-yearly exam for Modern History (spent too much time on one essay).
I also do PDHPE, and whilst I'm not doing terrible in it, I'm not doing great either. However, I know I can improve in PDHPE. I sat the half-yearly exam with the intention of dropping it, and I know I failed the exam or just passed. However, I want to drop but I've heard that it is really risky and dangerous and I really don't know if I should - I'm having second thoughts about it. But I know I can perform well in all 5 of my subjects.

Should I drop?

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
At this stage as you don't appear to be as consistent as you could be so I'd keep some of your subjects a bit longer. You may be surprised what will count in the end.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I think since you said you had the intention of dropping PDHPE, hence the poor performance, its already kind of saying, "I wanna drop it but.."

I think you need to wait for your results to come back, see how you went and evaluate whether or not you should drop from there. If you're absolutely confident in 10 of your units and would drop PDHPE, do it. Why waste extra time on a subject you are intending to not do anyway?

Machiavelli1

HSC
I think since you said you had the intention of dropping PDHPE, hence the poor performance, its already kind of saying, "I wanna drop it but.."

I think you need to wait for your results to come back, see how you went and evaluate whether or not you should drop from there. If you're absolutely confident in 10 of your units and would drop PDHPE, do it. Why waste extra time on a subject you are intending to not do anyway?
+1

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I was in a similar position to you by the end of Year 11. I think it should come down to whichever subject you are more confident you can improve in. Disregard your performance in your half yearlies - they only affect your ranking which can be improved upon during the year and most of your HSC mark will come from your external performance. You want to be thinking about how you're going to perform in those external exams. I decided to run only 10 units in my HSC year and it paid off because I was confident and applied myself. You can achieve the same :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Before you drop any subjects, I highly advise you to have a think about how determined you are in improving in the subjects you have mentioned, there is a difference between 'I know I can improve" with "I am going to do everything I can to improve"-just make sure you can achieve the second, and most important step-which is to actively improve based on the knowledge you can improve-best wishes:)

enoilgam

HSC
You should aim to drop the subject which is least likely to count towards your ATAR. If you are doing equally well in all subjects, or poorly in several, then it's probably best to hang onto all your subjects, unless there is one which you absolutely cannot stand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)