Thinking of Iraq War as Major Project. Question: Is it too recent? (1 Viewer)

NWG Oxford

HSC
I am 90% sure I am doing the Reasons for the Iraq War as an avenue of historical inquiry for my Major Work. My teacher for extension history is relatively inexperienced and until I conduct more research I am not sure whether this is a viable topic. This is my desperate plea for assistance to any experienced teachers or former Extension History Students. Is this topic too recent?

CEC3

HSC
I'm thinking of doing this aswell.
My History Extension teacher is really experienced and has agreeded on this topic.
Do not worry about the Iraq War being too recent, it has many different persepectives from a range of people.
So far I'm happy with the idea...

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I would advise my students to do something with a little more allowance for change over time by historians but saying that looking at the first and second Iraq wars allows for that.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Iraq is pretty recent and current, and you won't have decent historiography and only media scrutiny as evidence to use. You could do the gulf war theres plenty on that esp Jean Baudrillards work 'The Gulf War Did Not Take Place'. He looks at the portrayal of the Gulf war by the media and the US and thus the distortion of the representation and history created of the Gulf war, this raises many questions and warrents further research and discussion. Something one of you may consider.

"The Gulf War was presented like some star wars video game, a simulation of a war. Jean Baudrillard, a French sociologist, wrote an essay that the Gulf War did not happen. Many critics miss the point and assume that he means that it did not literally happen. That was not his point. His real criticism was the way that the conflict was presented. The media was not allowed to really report the war.

Perhaps the American military learned from Vietnam. Vietnam was presented on television many times in an unedited manner to the American public. The American public turned against the war.

Thus to Baudrillard, never was there a true conflict during the Gulf War. America won before the first bullet was shot. The video presentation of the war only demonstrated the constructed nature of the war. War is hell and should never be edited. If it is allowed to be edited, the true lessons are lost. Baudrillard commented that even the idea of peace was a simulation. Saddam Hussein was allowed to stay in power. (Now we return).

Having spoken to Gulf War veterans, they emphasize the true horror of that conflict. They are beginning to write about the battles that were not told. "

His work would be good to use for a history ext essay on the 'fabricated' representation of the Gulf War or the construction of the Gulf War by the US gov, a constructed history of sorts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)