this is the most popular option... (1 Viewer)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But didnt they stop scaling the options, ie 1 mark in one option=1 mark in another option?

board_more_pow

hello hello n happy valentines day/ single awareness day to u all

just wonderin if u guys could help me out with ur thoughts on an assessment ive got.

ive gotta design a first hand investigation to study the factors which affect the corrosion of metals in wet terrestrial and marine environments.

we haven't started the option in class yet so can u help me with some ideas... what metals would work best for an experiment that needs to go for a coupla weeks n what factors should i choose to test (just the ones in the syllabus)?

thanks guys

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
In some circumstances the option topics are scaled.

But no one will be disadvantaged.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by board_more_pow
hello hello n happy valentines day/ single awareness day to u all

just wonderin if u guys could help me out with ur thoughts on an assessment ive got.

ive gotta design a first hand investigation to study the factors which affect the corrosion of metals in wet terrestrial and marine environments.

we haven't started the option in class yet so can u help me with some ideas... what metals would work best for an experiment that needs to go for a coupla weeks n what factors should i choose to test (just the ones in the syllabus)?

thanks guys
well basically make a list of factors (i.e temperature, ph, etc.) and then u basically test them to see if they accelerate corrosion or not. so for eg. if ur gonna c the factor of "ph" then, u would put one nail in acid, one in basic, and one in neutral- then leave it (while controlling the other factors) for a couple of days- then c the amount of rust on the nail. then base your conclusions from there!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Lol put a nail in acid and you wont have much rust on the nail, of course you wont have as much nail left either.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Lol put a nail in acid and you wont have much rust on the nail, of course you wont have as much nail left either.
well yeah, assume the mass difference to b corrosion- and oh yeah, don't use strong acids! :D

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It is corrosion but it isnt that simple to do with rust, since the iron in the iron oxide also becomes useless.

If you leave a nail in a salt solution it will become blunt down the bottom as that is where the lowest amount of oxygen is.

You could also try water with different oxygen levels (ie you shake the water a bit each day to get oxygen in it)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
did it in 03... loved it, prolly the best option eva...

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
...You could also try water with different oxygen levels ...
hmm...that seems to b a little difficult- maybe u can just do something like that by leaving one nail in a open container, and another in a closed container. :/

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by board_more_pow
thanks guys

any idea how to quantitatively compare the rust in the different test tubes?
well wight the nail at start, then after u get the nail out, wipe away the rust using a tissue or something- then re weigh....the more the weight difference- the more the rust! :)

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
our teacher told us that shipwrecks is the most popular option as it has the biggest resource base of the options.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by smegthehead
our teacher told us that shipwrecks is the most popular option as it has the biggest resource base of the options.
yep, all textbooks include this option, unlike options like chemistry and art one...in where major textbooks like Conquering chem. do not cover. :D

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
nah im not doing im doing forsensics, i wish i was doing this one though!~ the other class out our skool is doing this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)