This is the thread where we go fml (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
i hate you so so much... stop fucking complaining about stupid things... NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR ATAR OF 99.95 IN THE REAL WORLD... they care about whether you can do the job at hand... im annoyed because i will miss out on my degree, many others are like me.... so why the fuck are you complaining about not coming first...
thank you so much, not people will realise this but those braniacs getting the top atars and still complaining or even not complainign will only ever be good at one thing: studying and being a student, it's a shame being a great student isn't a paid occupation, actually you'll be losing so much money staying in grad school

philphie

Banned
HSC
i knew the hsc would screw me over again because the BOS screwed me over with selective and i knew they had a personal grudge against me. and what's with this fucking top 2 units of english rule!!?!?!?!!? and they still make you do all 4 units!?!?!?!? i got a high E4 for ext 2 eng, but because advanced was higher than ext 1 it now won't count and all that time wasted fucking gone!! the numbers down for ext 1 english are all screwed as well because i got over 90 in every single assessment and got high 70s for half yearlies and trials but i didn't even get higher than 40 over 50. history extension mw i got full marks for my major and high 80s for each assessment but again, not even higher than 40 over 50. i don't fucking get it.

getting an 88 was not what i expected fine, i can deal with that, and consider new pathways but the fact is every teacher in my school was expecting me to get over 95 now how am i going to tell them this: the only person to get 2 band 6's in the year (our dux who got 96.8 (i know pretty bad) only had one band 6) didn't even get over 90. even my mate who got pretty much the same results as me ended up with 91.1.

the system is stupid and the way things are taught is stupid. writing an 8-12 page essay in 45 minutes with complete memory power is not going to be something well informed, it's going to be something well memorised. For all humanities subjects i think should be like english extension 2, have the one big major and that's it, because these subjects are about research skills not memory skills. what would you prefer, a well researched and informed thesis on Hamlet, or something you wrote in 45 minutes??? and because of this there is a complete lack of practical and vocational sensibility in the teaching of these subjects. we are taught to memorise but not taught to discover and explore, isn't that the point of any career, to explore, discover, innovate? Where do you learn that in school? we are being rewarded for being excellent students, and what are the prospects of that? grad school for the resr of your life?

now i can't get into my government degrees because of this, and we don't even learn anything about government or current affairs in school, something that i have a deep and thorough knowledge of. thank you board of studies, thank you so much.

and to all you 90pluses out there who did not get into med science or pre law. you don't have to do pre law to get into law school, in fact any degree would do that has some basis in law and policy. also you don't need to do pre med to get into med school, a science degree is enough.

tonyharrison

HSC
@ Philphie

man that sucks.
especially when teachers had gotten your hopes up so much. That's probably cause they could see how well you functioned in real situations and to real problems rather than in the pressure of an exam. Unfortunately the exam method is the easiest way to rank the state.
You still did better than 88% of the state (including me by 0.20) so well done!

sinophile

HSC
N/A
i knew the hsc would screw me over again because the BOS screwed me over with selective and i knew they had a personal grudge against me. and what's with this fucking top 2 units of english rule!!?!?!?!!? and they still make you do all 4 units!?!?!?!? i got a high E4 for ext 2 eng, but because advanced was higher than ext 1 it now won't count and all that time wasted fucking gone!! the numbers down for ext 1 english are all screwed as well because i got over 90 in every single assessment and got high 70s for half yearlies and trials but i didn't even get higher than 40 over 50. history extension mw i got full marks for my major and high 80s for each assessment but again, not even higher than 40 over 50. i don't fucking get it.

getting an 88 was not what i expected fine, i can deal with that, and consider new pathways but the fact is every teacher in my school was expecting me to get over 95 now how am i going to tell them this: the only person to get 2 band 6's in the year (our dux who got 96.8 (i know pretty bad) only had one band 6) didn't even get over 90. even my mate who got pretty much the same results as me ended up with 91.1.

the system is stupid and the way things are taught is stupid. writing an 8-12 page essay in 45 minutes with complete memory power is not going to be something well informed, it's going to be something well memorised. For all humanities subjects i think should be like english extension 2, have the one big major and that's it, because these subjects are about research skills not memory skills. what would you prefer, a well researched and informed thesis on Hamlet, or something you wrote in 45 minutes??? and because of this there is a complete lack of practical and vocational sensibility in the teaching of these subjects. we are taught to memorise but not taught to discover and explore, isn't that the point of any career, to explore, discover, innovate? Where do you learn that in school? we are being rewarded for being excellent students, and what are the prospects of that? grad school for the resr of your life?

now i can't get into my government degrees because of this, and we don't even learn anything about government or current affairs in school, something that i have a deep and thorough knowledge of. thank you board of studies, thank you so much.

and to all you 90pluses out there who did not get into med science or pre law. you don't have to do pre law to get into law school, in fact any degree would do that has some basis in law and policy. also you don't need to do pre med to get into med school, a science degree is enough.
I.. I think I love you :shy:

philphie

Banned
HSC
@ Philphie

man that sucks.
especially when teachers had gotten your hopes up so much. That's probably cause they could see how well you functioned in real situations and to real problems rather than in the pressure of an exam. Unfortunately the exam method is the easiest way to rank the state.
You still did better than 88% of the state (including me by 0.20) so well done!
much appreciated and congrats for you. i hope staying up all night that tuesday was worth it to just eat that apricot, yeah that's right, i remember.

tonyharrison

HSC
I didn't stay up all night remember!

but i got into my course so i'm good.
i think i somehow cheated the system, i did like...0 work...

tonyharrison

HSC
Oh and anytime.
Heaps of my friends are like YAY I GOT A BILLION ATAR and then you just see the person in the corner being left out.
Even though you got a good atar the disappointment is still there so you get to be comforted :D

Sadlilgirl

HSC
wow I forgot my account info. SIlly throwaway account.

I definately say FML today. My marks ranged between 75-84, but my ATAR was 64. Seriously. If I knew that was going to happen I wouldn't have even bothered with HSC or at least chosen hard as subjects in which to fail. Now I barely qualify for my last resort choice. I think I'll start smoking crack now...

philphie

Banned
HSC
Oh and anytime.
Heaps of my friends are like YAY I GOT A BILLION ATAR and then you just see the person in the corner being left out.
Even though you got a good atar the disappointment is still there so you get to be comforted :D
yeah all my mates got over 90, and they all called me up asking where in the 90s did i get

philphie

Banned
HSC
I didn't stay up all night remember!

but i got into my course so i'm good.
i think i somehow cheated the system, i did like...0 work...
yeah all i ever did was cram no sleep during exam periods, plus had to deal with a whole lot of stuff for that year. i didn't get into my first preference but hopefully maybe with the second because of usyd's 5 point leeway, still not sure though, the course i applied for was new so no cutoff yet. so what course are you doing?

tonyharrison

HSC
Have you looked into that bonus points thing?
Like if you did a subject related to the course you get 5 extra ATAR points...
Bachelor of Industrial Design. I got no bonus points but still got in :)

Good work anyway. You did really well. And just remember you're better off than a lot of other people.

philphie

Banned
HSC
Have you looked into that bonus points thing?
Like if you did a subject related to the course you get 5 extra ATAR points...
Bachelor of Industrial Design. I got no bonus points but still got in :)

Good work anyway. You did really well. And just remember you're better off than a lot of other people.
yeah but the maximum you can get is 5 extra no matter what method you take on. bachelor of industrial design at uts? if it is uts great program for design. My dad was an industrial designer among other things, i like to call him the entrepreneur of hobbies, it'd be in good humour if i didn't hate him so much.

thanks for the encouragement and the reminder of other people, i guess i just feel so ripped off,

I WANT A REFUND!!!

tonyharrison

HSC
yeah but the maximum you can get is 5 extra no matter what method you take on. bachelor of industrial design at uts? if it is uts great program for design. My dad was an industrial designer among other things, i like to call him the entrepreneur of hobbies, it'd be in good humour if i didn't hate him so much.

thanks for the encouragement and the reminder of other people, i guess i just feel so ripped off,

I WANT A REFUND!!!
yeah defs UTS. at UNSW the atar was like 82 or something pfffftttt

Yeah the hsc isn't a good reflection of someone's intelligence, however it's really the best path you can take.

just try to gain as much knowledge on the course you want to do and talk to people. there may be a way around it if the enthusiasm is there :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)