This years ACCT1511 is freakin hard (1 Viewer)

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't know what happened
The gold mine question drove me crazy

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
The exam is nothing like the past exam questions ! Unfair to those who have dedicated to study !

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I think accounting 1B has always been like that and will be like that.
I don't get the point !
The questions are long and confusing !
They didn't put any similar questions in the tutorial questions , holy

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
I think accounting 1B has always been like that and will be like that.
Are you doing commerce degree or not ? I've been seeing you posting about commerce . But your sig reflects some other degrees

D94

HSC
N/A
The exam is nothing like the past exam questions ! Unfair to those who have dedicated to study !
How is that unfair though, and not just for Accounting, but for any subject in general? It's an exam, not a revision of past exam questions.

HSC
Uni Grad
Are you doing commerce degree or not ? I've been seeing you posting about commerce . But your sig reflects some other degrees
Used to do a commerce degree (actuarial major), swapped over to engineering/science
hated actuarial and commerce in general (the latter even more) so thats why i changed out.

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Used to do a commerce degree (actuarial major), swapped over to engineering/science
hated actuarial and commerce in general (the latter even more) so thats why i changed out.
You really have the guts! I admire you my highness

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
How is that unfair though, and not just for Accounting, but for any subject in general? It's an exam, not a revision of past exam questions.
If you actually see the paper you will be astonished

D94

HSC
N/A
If you actually see the paper you will be astonished
Well it doesn't matter how difficult it was, it was still a fair exam since all those eligible sat the same exam and it was under correct exam conditions. Fair does not mean easy.

If the grading distribution is different to previous years, then the marking committee should recognise this and scale the exam or final mark appropriately.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well it doesn't matter how difficult it was, it was still a fair exam since all those eligible sat the same exam and it was under correct exam conditions. Fair does not mean easy.

If the grading distribution is different to previous years, then the marking committee should recognise this and scale the exam or final mark appropriately.
This is true. Many people complained this year that 2-unit and 4-unit were insanely hard exams compared to past papers, and I was upset that I was unable to begin the mechonical last question for 4-unit, and bam I lost 8/10 marks. However, the exam was still fair as it differentiated myself (an e3/e4 high 80's/low 90's student) from the higher band e4 (mid/high 90's) students.

OP, a few questions in any exam will be curve-balls which differentiate the best students (the cream of the crop HD'ers) from the Distinctions to the credits and those who just pass. Don't think that an exam is unfair, just because you couldn't attempt the curve-ball. If anything, the exam is more fair as it allows those students who work harder than the rest of the cohort receive a mark that shows that they are on top of the class.
Any way, you still have alignment for exams in uni, so that you still get a fair result in the end.

Last edited:

A12345

HSC
Yeah that's accounting for you.. I thought last year it was due to most people being on around 40/40 to 42/40 (bonus marks for attendance) pre-exam because of the quizzes and easy CP marks so they bump up the exam difficulty to essentially using slight differences in questions that you know the content of but can't answer correctly because you don't know how to deal with the slight variation, and bam 0 marks.
I'm not doing an accounting major, but at least in finance they don't even bother giving you the illusion of a fair exam by providing past papers, you just know you'd better be able to deal with ridiculous little details or you're going to get a bad mark..

HeyJes

Academic Tutor @ UNSW
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah that's accounting for you.. I thought last year it was due to most people being on around 40/40 to 42/40 (bonus marks for attendance) pre-exam because of the quizzes and easy CP marks so they bump up the exam difficulty to essentially using slight differences in questions that you know the content of but can't answer correctly because you don't know how to deal with the slight variation, and bam 0 marks.
I'm not doing an accounting major, but at least in finance they don't even bother giving you the illusion of a fair exam by providing past papers, you just know you'd better be able to deal with ridiculous little details or you're going to get a bad mark..
Thanks for pointing this out!
You shed some light

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
yep in accounting get all the freebies (presentation/homework mark and quizzes) before final exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)