Thoughts on Chemistry CSSA paper (1 Viewer)

gcmk

HSC
vds700 said:
i put ethanoic, that was the only one i recognised, and its naturally occuring, so i think its right.
wasn't it the citric acid?

nandayo

ismist
HSC
vds700 said:
i put ethanoic, that was the only one i recognised, and its naturally occuring, so i think its right.
I'm pretty sure it was citric acid (A) C6H807, it's naturally occurring and triprotic - whereas ethanoic is only monoprotic.

But let's not talk about answers because a) some people may not have done the paper for some reason and b) I shit myself talking about answers before I get the exam back.

I thought the CSSA paper was pretty good all round though - seemed to test everything pretty well, I did think there was a bit too much on 'validity' and 'reliability' and all that vague, typically Board of Studies stuff.

smileee

HSC
Concubine said:
Can someone please explain the bonding in tri-iodide to me? I will love you forever!
i just checked it out AFTER the exam LOL
i did it wrong but here goes
it was supposed to be an iodide ion with 8 electrons in the outer shell, with 3 pairs of electrons not doing anything then one electron covalently bonded with an iodine on one side and the other electron on the other side.

is that stuff even in the syllabus?

schmani

HSC
N/A
The exam itself was alright in general, but my class had not learnt some of the information in the exam. I don't remember anything to do with hydroflurocarbons in class, and my school changed the forsenic part, which ended up being a major fail for the majority of people. I could have prepared better for it though.

liamh16

HSC
it was decent... my first 3hr exam. Because we haven't done CMM yet, we had replacement questions. We had one on the battery (dry cell) where you had to draw a diagram. and overall eqn and stuff like that. we then had a 6 marker on sulfur content in fertiliser that killed me....
iodine also killed me....
but idk, i felt i went alright,:lol:

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Gosh! Just did it this morning. Thought of creating a thread to complain but there's one here already. It was so broad! I mean, it asks almost everything except for the galvanic cell section (strange). The multiple choice questions are ostensibly harder than independent trial? I think so. They require more attentions and calculations.

For longer responses: killer! Question to assess validity of the advertisement claim was evil. I won't be surprised if I only 4/5. My structure was terrible and I didn't have enough space to write. Hell, are they obsessed with 'validity'? I didn't revise anything on validity and reliability (big mistake) so I'm not confident with the 'student's procedure' either. Since we haven't finished Industrial Chem, I got a 7 MARKS question on evaluating the problems and progresses being dealt with a natural resource. Crap. 7 marks with not many things to say.

cs01001

HSC
Yea, too much on validity/accuracy stuff..

Got some silly mistakes here and there, Oh well, hoping for the best now... :(

karnage

HSC
They are obsessed with validity and reliability coz its a good area to test as people dont seem to know the difference between the two. Tough question i must say.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
I don't like CSSA papers. They spam 5/6/7 mark questions about stuff that are learnt through pure memorising. You know, the kind of questions that a good English/humanities student would do better.

jakus

HSC
Does anybody know what they wanted with that question that asked you to draw a diagram to show Iodine dissolved in ethanol?

I just drew them next to each other to represent some bond:confused:

ladadidah

HSC
EPIC FAIL! Too many mole calculations (possibly replacement question?)

The fact that I wasn't prepared probably did NOT help either...I hope I can make up for it with the rest of them.

*gah*

benji6667

HSC
what was with the lack of a 7 mark question about ethanol? EVERY exam has something in the 5-7mark range for how we can use ethanol to replace X or Y. Maybe they realised its NOT sustainable , and trying to proove it is fuitile

nandayo

ismist
HSC
benji6667 said:
what was with the lack of a 7 mark question about ethanol? EVERY exam has something in the 5-7mark range for how we can use ethanol to replace X or Y. Maybe they realised its NOT sustainable , and trying to proove it is fuitile
I think so too. You've had so many articles in the paper and stories on the news about how ethanol farms (i.e. farms growing plants for ethanol production) are leading to this misallocation of food resources and there are serious world food shortages as a result. Not to mention that everyone in Australia thinks it's going to make their car explode for some reason.

Mind you, I would have preferred a 7 mark question on ethanol than all that crap on validity and reliability.

jaggy snake

HSC
jakus said:
Does anybody know what they wanted with that question that asked you to draw a diagram to show Iodine dissolved in ethanol?

I just drew them next to each other to represent some bond:confused:
I believe you had to show that it was non-polar, as both iodine ions in the covalent bond had the same charge. Then it makes a coordinate covalent bond to form I3-, giving it polarity, which is why I3- dissolves in water and I2 does not.

Amirite?

Also, what was the answer to the multiple choice question about the water flowing from the glacier to the forest? I found a fault with every answer, so I just guessed :S

Last edited:

gonutsmate

HSC
For that one i just drew ethanol and the iodines and put some squiggles between them saying intermolecular forces.

The glacier one was um the one that had no change in acidity, increasing TDS or turbidity and decreasing dissolved oxygen.

liamh16

HSC
i think i screwed up that Q with the student's claims.....
gureat.
:(
plus the iodine Q.
oh well.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
The test was only out of 100 but it seems like it was out of 250 with the amount of 5 and 6 marks
Im pretty sure the multiple choice were the hardest thing in existance as for show why I3- dissolve in ethanol i just drew the ethanol molecule showing how half is polar and half is not

schmani

HSC
N/A
axlenatore said:
Im pretty sure the multiple choice were the hardest thing in existance as for show why I3- dissolve in ethanol i just drew the ethanol molecule showing how half is polar and half is not
Thats what i did... I had no idea!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)