Thoughts on HSC Mark for English? (1 Viewer)

hernameisnoelle

HSC
So far, I've gotten these marks for English. I know in the beginning that they were not as good as I'd hope but I do think I am improving. I'd just like to get opinions on whether it's still possible for me to reach a band 6 for the HSC?

School tasks:
Unseen texts: 11/15
AOS Essay (Emily Dickinson): 9/20 (Yes, this was terrible.)
Module B (Hamlet): 14/20
Module A (Frankenstein and Blade Runner) : 17/20
Module C (The Justice Game): *I have yet to receive the results as we've only done this assessment last week*

CSSA Trials:
Paper 1:
Comprehension: 15/15
AOS Essay (Emily Dickinson): 11/15
Creative Writing: 11/15

Paper 2:
Module A (Frankenstein and Blade Runner) : 17/20
Module B (Hamlet) : 19/20
Module C (The Justice Game) : 17/20

Overall: 90/105

So, any opinions regarding how I'll be able to achieve or whether it's even possible to achieve a Band 6 for the HSC?

enoilgam

HSC
Well, its very hard to tell without your rank/school rank. Also, with a subject like english, it can be very difficult to gauge just how well you went in the trials, because it is difficult to tell whether the paper was marked to a HSC standard (some schools mark to easy, others mark to hard and some dont know how to mark at all).

deswa1

HSC
Whats your school rank and your rank in english at school? The actual marks aren't that helpful because some schools mark piss easy and some mark very hard. For what its worth, if you got 90/105 in the HSC, you'd get 95+ so given that you're thinking about whether its possible to get a B6 is suggesting to me that your school marks easily...

hernameisnoelle

HSC
Whats your school rank and your rank in english at school? The actual marks aren't that helpful because some schools mark piss easy and some mark very hard. For what its worth, if you got 90/105 in the HSC, you'd get 95+ so given that you're thinking about whether its possible to get a B6 is suggesting to me that your school marks easily...
Well, the only rank I've gotten is the one from the half-yearly report and the trials.

Half-yearly : 74/83 (I'm aware how terrible that is)
Trials: 11/83

Obviously I wouldn't be able to move up the rankings so much but I will definitely have moved up somehow.

Not sure if my school marks 'piss easy' but for Paper 1, our papers were marked externally. For Paper 2 however, not sure if it would help but I've heard a few averages on Module B and C and they're 14 and 13, respectively.

enoilgam

HSC
Well, what is your school rank (if you dont know, do you go to a selective or high ranking private school)?

hernameisnoelle

HSC
Well, what is your school rank (if you dont know, do you go to a selective or high ranking private school)?
I have no idea what my school ranking is. I go to a private independent girls school, I don't know if that helps at all. Haha!

deswa1

HSC
I have no idea what my school ranking is. I go to a private independent girls school, I don't know if that helps at all. Haha!
Not really haha. Do you mind posting the name of the school? You can PM me if privacy is an issue...

enoilgam

HSC
From going over the stats, your schools performance in english has dropped off a bit since 2009 in Advanced English (22 band 6's in 2009, 15 in 2010 and 10 in 2011). So I guess you might be right on the cusp of a band 6 at this point (assuming you are in say the top 20 overall).

hernameisnoelle

HSC
From going over the stats, your schools performance in english has dropped off a bit since 2009 in Advanced English (22 band 6's in 2009, 15 in 2010 and 10 in 2011). So I guess you might be right on the cusp of a band 6 at this point (assuming you are in say the top 20 overall).
I suppose with continuous improvement, it's possible to get a band 6. I bloody hope I'm in the top 20 overall. I guess we'll just have to see how well I do in the actual HSC (fingers crossed!)

tezzac10

HSC
With hard work and dedication within these 43 days left, you'll bound to nudge over the band 6 bracket! :)

hscstudent2012

HSC
Hey! I am sitting the HSC this year too and I myself am worrying about my bands.
Honestly it's hard to say if you're going to get a band 6. A band 5 is most probable, but it all depends on how the HSC pans out.
In the end it's how you do relative to everyone else.
I've heard from a friend that some people from that school do exceptionally well though. Like 100+/105 in trials yeah? Is that true?

All the best though!

hernameisnoelle

HSC
Hey! I am sitting the HSC this year too and I myself am worrying about my bands.
Honestly it's hard to say if you're going to get a band 6. A band 5 is most probable, but it all depends on how the HSC pans out.
In the end it's how you do relative to everyone else.
I've heard from a friend that some people from that school do exceptionally well though. Like 100+/105 in trials yeah? Is that true?

All the best though!
I came 9th in our trials and I got 94. Someone did get 104 so they were 1st. I think there were 3 people in the 100+. Thanks and good luck to you as well! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)