• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Thoughts on iPads for school? (2 Viewers)

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
Hello,

I was wondering if iPads are a good option for school use? I was thinking about buying an iPad 10th gen and apple pencil (with my scholarship money hehe) to use for studying, notes, revision, etc. i think it would especially be useful for me for maths where it is so annoying wasting so much paper rewriting working out/diagrams/etc when it would be so much easier on an iPad. i honestly think it would motivate me to study more, like having it all in one place. there are a few people in my year as well as my maths teacher, who uses an iPad and it looks so much easier to do stuff imo.

does anyone have any experience with using an iPad for school, and what is your opinion on it + how did it affect your study? Thanks :oldsmile:

thelittlepotatofrog

HSC
Hello,

I was wondering if iPads are a good option for school use? I was thinking about buying an iPad 10th gen and apple pencil (with my scholarship money hehe) to use for studying, notes, revision, etc. i think it would especially be useful for me for maths where it is so annoying wasting so much paper rewriting working out/diagrams/etc when it would be so much easier on an iPad. i honestly think it would motivate me to study more, like having it all in one place. there are a few people in my year as well as my maths teacher, who uses an iPad and it looks so much easier to do stuff imo.

does anyone have any experience with using an iPad for school, and what is your opinion on it + how did it affect your study? Thanks :oldsmile:
I use one for maths specifically and I find it really useful, I wouldn't recommend 10th gen if u are going to write with an apple pencil bc it doesn't have a laminated screen so writing on those ones isn't great, it feels a bit like you are writing on top of the screen not on it. i use iPad pro which does have a laminated screen and that is 10/10 for notes etc. having a magnetic paper screen is also super good bc u can take it off when you arent writing. i know iPad pro is more expensive but def better than 10th gen. overall I 100% recommend. also if its within ur budget I recommend getting a keyboard for it too :spin:

this is the paper screen i recommend

liamkk112

HSC
Hello,

yeah its really good for maths especially hsc where you're just spamming past papers mostly and it takes a lot of space. i bought a drawing tablet for the same reason and it was def worth the money, ipad is even better coz u can write directly on pdfs and stuff like that and much easier to use

katiekms

HSC
I use one for maths specifically and I find it really useful, I wouldn't recommend 10th gen if u are going to write with an apple pencil bc it doesn't have a laminated screen so writing on those ones isn't great, it feels a bit like you are writing on top of the screen not on it. i use iPad pro which does have a laminated screen and that is 10/10 for notes etc. having a magnetic paper screen is also super good bc u can take it off when you arent writing. i know iPad pro is more expensive but def better than 10th gen. overall I 100% recommend. also if its within ur budget I recommend getting a keyboard for it too :spin:
ooh thank you for your advice! i would get an ipad pro, but it’s like a kajillion dollars and i think it’s overpowered for what i need ahhaa. i’ve just compared all the options and i think the 10 is the cheapest for the best longevity and i can deal with losing some features for the lower price. obviously the pro is very good and useful for other people but yeah it’s just the price.
i was also considering what screen protector to get - i heard that paper screens can wear out the apple pencil nib, is that true? but if it’s magnetically removable i’m sure it’d be fine. have you tried tempered glass ones?
thanks!

katiekms

HSC
yeah its really good for maths especially hsc where you're just spamming past papers mostly and it takes a lot of space. i bought a drawing tablet for the same reason and it was def worth the money, ipad is even better coz u can write directly on pdfs and stuff like that and much easier to use
yesss exactly! i’ve kinda trialled it with a hp pen that the school computers have and omg it’s so much better (but even those are low quality so i think the ipad + pencil would be much better). thanks!

pablo34

HSC
N/A
Hello,

yeah

thelittlepotatofrog

HSC
ooh thank you for your advice! i would get an ipad pro, but it’s like a kajillion dollars and i think it’s overpowered for what i need ahhaa. i’ve just compared all the options and i think the 10 is the cheapest for the best longevity and i can deal with losing some features for the lower price. obviously the pro is very good and useful for other people but yeah it’s just the price.
i was also considering what screen protector to get - i heard that paper screens can wear out the apple pencil nib, is that true? but if it’s magnetically removable i’m sure it’d be fine. have you tried tempered glass ones?
thanks!
omg yes the pro is so checking expensive I'm still so in debt to my parents lmao
my brother has the 10 and he didn't dislike the screen at all so maybe I'm just overreacting
I haven't noticed that the screen protector has significantly worn down the pencil, its a little bit more than my last one, but not significantly so
I like the paper screen bc it feels nicer to write on and also you can remove it when watching stuff so that it doesn't distort the video, it isn't a screen protector tho so it wont have the protecting features that tempered glass ones
but yeah I totally recommend an iPad for school, and also it will last so u can use it for uni too

katiekms

HSC
omg yes the pro is so checking expensive I'm still so in debt to my parents lmao
my brother has the 10 and he didn't dislike the screen at all so maybe I'm just overreacting
I haven't noticed that the screen protector has significantly worn down the pencil, its a little bit more than my last one, but not significantly so
I like the paper screen bc it feels nicer to write on and also you can remove it when watching stuff so that it doesn't distort the video, it isn't a screen protector tho so it wont have the protecting features that tempered glass ones
but yeah I totally recommend an iPad for school, and also it will last so u can use it for uni too
dangg that sucks, though it makes sense, the pro is crazyyy.
thats good to hear, i think i’ll do that then!
thank you so much!!

elliott07

🌙
HSC
Hello,

I got an iPad Air 4th gen for super cheap refurbished and an apple pen and its so so so helpful like especially when doing math its like you got an unlimited canvas to write on. I will say that if you plan on getting an iPad check out apples certified refurbished store, they replace all the parts and it basically becomes brand new and they wrap it in the box too

katiekms

HSC
I got an iPad Air 4th gen for super cheap refurbished and an apple pen and its so so so helpful like especially when doing math its like you got an unlimited canvas to write on. I will say that if you plan on getting an iPad check out apples certified refurbished store, they replace all the parts and it basically becomes brand new and they wrap it in the box too
yessss. the ipad i have now (ipad 6) i got refurbished and yeah it was basically brand new! but obviously now like it’s becoming unusable especially after the new ipad came out. i can hardly watch videos anymore lol. thanks for your advice!!

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
I got the new iPad Pro 13’ for uni and I like it!
rich asf
Hello,

firstly do NOT consider it as a source of motivation

personally i am 2 lazy to scan documents so being able to export stuff is nice (also i am bad at organising paper documents)

also i have a lot of random worksheets & etc. i do so it was extra value

if you don't want to use notability/goodnotes cause of $$ collanotes is a good alternative

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
In between the prices of the generation 10 and Pro is the iPad Air. I bought my youngest an Air at the beginning of last year for Yr 11, with the full Microsoft suite. It is also fine with Geogebra software which her school uses for maths extension 1 & 2. I’m sorry if it’s still out of your price range, but I’m commenting as it is cheaper than the Pro and seems to be sufficient for her Yr 12 needs.

Chiprr

Somewhat Active Member
HSC
I use my iPad for maths and physics only since questions are mostly calculations which makes it significantly easier to do past papers. Everything else is paper. Got lucky with paying for Goodnotes 5 before it went to subscription and so I've had permanent access since then with all benefits excluding Goodnotes 6 features

Edit: I use iPad air 5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)