Thoughts on memorising for Eng Adv Trials? (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hi, my Trials are coming up really soon and I'm worried that I'll be memorising the wrong stuff for Eng Adv in the limited time I have left (haven't started memorising yet, English Paper 1 is on the 31st)...

I am planning to memorise as much as I can across all four modules, but obviously that won't be too possible. From what I understand, Mod A is usually a really broad topic, and so a memorised essay goes well (we're doing Tempest/HagSeed), but then there's stuff like Mod B which is extremely difficult and would need lots of time dedicated to it. Personally, I know my Mod C general story decently well, and practiced adapting it for my exam last term, but I haven't looked at it in a while (I will definitely be memorising a baseline reflection to have for the day). Common Mod (1984) will also be something I'd like to memorise, but I don't think I'll be able to get everything down in time (I still need to write my 1984 essay - ahh!)!!

Please help! What does everyone here think about all this???

carrotsss

HSC
Get started with memorising asap, its easily possible to memorise all of ur stuff in 9 days, you should be able to memorise each essay in a couple hours.

The way I memorise (usually only takes a couple hours) is:
  1. Summarise the essay into dot points
  2. Try to write the essay using those dot points, figure out what parts u got wrong and write them out again
  3. Repeat without the summary until you're confident

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Get started with memorising asap, its easily possible to memorise all of ur stuff in 9 days, you should be able to memorise each essay in a couple hours.

The way I memorise (usually only takes a couple hours) is:
  1. Summarise the essay into dot points
  2. Try to write the essay using those dot points, figure out what parts u got wrong and write them out again
  3. Repeat without the summary until you're confident
Fair enough, I just get worried that I'll forget something vital, and end up memorising line by line (I've done that the last two terms). Issue is I feel like I can never integrate the stimulus enough. Has memorising via dot points given you enough room in your essay to address everything the question wants?

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah I think the main thing is to make sure your intro, topic sentences, linking sentences and conclusion are 100% modeled around the question, and then other than that just make sure all your quotes link back to the question a decent amount

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Yeah I think the main thing is to make sure your intro, topic sentences, linking sentences and conclusion are 100% modeled around the question, and then other than that just make sure all your quotes link back to the question a decent amount
Okay, and what would you do if the quotes + analysis you have memorised don't fit the question? For stuff like Mod B I assume I'd know lots of Eliot quotes (since we've literally just done that) by trials, but for other stuff like 1984/Tempest/HagSeed it's been a while and none of the other quotes in the texts are fresh.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Okay, and what would you do if the quotes + analysis you have memorised don't fit the question? For stuff like Mod B I assume I'd know lots of Eliot quotes (since we've literally just done that) by trials, but for other stuff like 1984/Tempest/HagSeed it's been a while and none of the other quotes in the texts are fresh.
no sometimes u just have to make them fit the question, spend like 4-5 mins planning on how ur techniques can relate to the question in any way, that can make the biggest difference. otherwise, memorise a range of quotes that can be applied to specific scenarios

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Fair enough. So I guess I'd want to go about memorising somewhat general quotes that can be applied to different themes/questions? Hmm.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Hi, my Trials are coming up really soon and I'm worried that I'll be memorising the wrong stuff for Eng Adv in the limited time I have left (haven't started memorising yet, English Paper 1 is on the 31st)...

I am planning to memorise as much as I can across all four modules, but obviously that won't be too possible. From what I understand, Mod A is usually a really broad topic, and so a memorised essay goes well (we're doing Tempest/HagSeed), but then there's stuff like Mod B which is extremely difficult and would need lots of time dedicated to it. Personally, I know my Mod C general story decently well, and practiced adapting it for my exam last term, but I haven't looked at it in a while (I will definitely be memorising a baseline reflection to have for the day). Common Mod (1984) will also be something I'd like to memorise, but I don't think I'll be able to get everything down in time (I still need to write my 1984 essay - ahh!)!!

Please help! What does everyone here think about all this???
imo tempest hagseed is the broadest part they could ask.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
imo tempest hagseed is the broadest part they could ask.
Yeah that's why I'm planning on purely memorising it and basically yoloing it on the day, since whatever I have memorised should just work for it. I am scared for when I need to adapt for things like 1984 and Mod C but I'll get there eventually (hopefully)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Yeah that's why I'm planning on purely memorising it and basically yoloing it on the day, since whatever I have memorised should just work for it. I am scared for when I need to adapt for things like 1984 and Mod C but I'll get there eventually (hopefully)
what is ur mod A about then? purely memorising wont help if u cant adapt
also dont forget abt mod B
i can talk to u about mod a and common mod we do the same texts

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Ummmm just checking now:
  • vengeance
    • looking at how both Tempest and Hagseed explore revenge depending on their context
  • imprisonment
    • looking at how Tempest has different physical imprisonments which are adapted in Hagseed
      • e.g. the physical island in the Tempest vs Felix's isolation in that hut thingy
    • also looking at how both texts have psychological imprisonments
      • Prospero is trapped within the play until he is "set free" and Felix is obsessed with his version of the play

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Ummmm just checking now:
  • vengeance
    • looking at how both Tempest and Hagseed explore revenge depending on their context
  • imprisonment
    • looking at how Tempest has different physical imprisonments which are adapted in Hagseed
      • e.g. the physical island in the Tempest vs Felix's isolation in that hut thingy
    • also looking at how both texts have psychological imprisonments
      • Prospero is trapped within the play until he is "set free" and Felix is obsessed with his version of the play
hmm okay
possible do something like
starting of with imprisonment and frame it through caliban and the prisoners in hagseed so that if the question requires you can tie in colonisation as well and the slave master dichotomy
and obv meta elements- felix/prospero will be directing this so u can tie in power as well

then for ur second one do vengeance exactly what r u doing? u cant just say they explore 'vengence' differently because of context. so how the narrative device of vengeance can internally imprison individuals but also liberate them?
u can talk about the idea of liberation through vengence
compare tempest values forgiveness as a transformative force which is what prospero goes through to cure his vengence
but felix uses his vengence to get what he wants bc there isnt any christian humanist values playing
just soemthing to think abt

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
hmm okay
possible do something like
starting of with imprisonment and frame it through caliban and the prisoners in hagseed so that if the question requires you can tie in colonisation as well and the slave master dichotomy
and obv meta elements- felix/prospero will be directing this so u can tie in power as well

then for ur second one do vengeance exactly what r u doing? u cant just say they explore 'vengence' differently because of context. so how the narrative device of vengeance can internally imprison individuals but also liberate them?
u can talk about the idea of liberation through vengence
compare tempest values forgiveness as a transformative force which is what prospero goes through to cure his vengence
but felix uses his vengence to get what he wants bc there isnt any christian humanist values playing
just soemthing to think abt
I'm not gonna lie - I've already got my essay all ready to go and don't feel like tweaking it too much (I really need to get on top of my 1984) - but yeah: I've actually ignored Caliban and the prisoners completely and jumped straight into the physical barriers of the island (in Tempest) and the hut (in HagSeed).

For vengeance I'm looking at how differing contexts provide different morals and values - Shakespeare's Christian values allow Prospero to show mercy after trying to reclaim his spot at the top versus Atwood's postmodern secular views (which are not bound by god etc) allow for Felix to commit to his revenge plan. I also look at the self destructive nature of revenge and how when the two characters are freed they have different reactions ("virtue over vengeance" in T and "but you're right, that's enough vengeance" in HS). Basically what you suggested??

If you can't tell I'm sitting here with my essay open next to me trying to reunderstand it all lol

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Mod B is scary - we've only finished it recently and I've just got feedback a few days ago for an essay from my teacher 😅
Hopefully I can go about memorising quotes+analysis chunks and it can all be slotted into an essay on the day...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)