• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

thoughts? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm inclined to agree with mr will that oversteer is definitely not safer; but then, I'm just used to understeer.

CieL

HSC
Mr Will said:
hmm...someone needs to drive. ever heard of LSD? an integra type r has been proven to understeer LESS than a static torque split awd car.

statistically speaking, far more accidents occur in rwd vehicles because they have more potential for havoc when pushed beyond their limits. if you think oversteer is 'safe', or 'better' then youre just stupid

and as for there being no way to counter understeer...what planet are you living on? try lifting off throttle, or turning in less. i say again - learn to drive.
:shock: First post I agree 100% with you.

As with the rwd example given by daddyK.. I don't think there's many chances of pulling that off in a corner..

And personally I am driving a rwd myself at the moment and I reckon it doesn't go into corners as well as a fwd in NORMAL conditions..

And how confident do you have to be behind a fwd anyway? Just drive...? No need for dramatic entrances into corners like your initialD games and crap.

Mr Will

HSC
alexxxz said:
i'm pretty sure the 190kw version is the sportivo. 3.5litre supercharged v6 and the base models were around the 140kw mark. remember car manufacturers are also thinking about the fuel crisis at the moment.. seriously who wants a petrol eater of a car? yes there are some enthusiasts but they are outnumbered the by the daily drivers. i'd much prefer this car over and holden or ford.

youd be wrong. no supercharger

Mr Will

HSC
CieL said:
:shock: First post I agree 100% with you.

As with the rwd example given by daddyK.. I don't think there's many chances of pulling that off in a corner..

And personally I am driving a rwd myself at the moment and I reckon it doesn't go into corners as well as a fwd in NORMAL conditions..

And how confident do you have to be behind a fwd anyway? Just drive...? No need for dramatic entrances into corners like your initialD games and crap.

woot....high five for us agreeing.

i was under the impression you drove an accord euro...fwd?

CieL

HSC
Mr Will said:
woot....high five for us agreeing.

i was under the impression you drove an accord euro...fwd?
Yeah, in another thread (New Car Decisions by Minai) I explained that an old Camry without ABS skidded into my rear last week in the wet..

Now I'm driving a Falcon whilst the Euro is getting a new ass.

Last edited:

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Mr Will said:
hmm...someone needs to drive. ever heard of LSD? an integra type r has been proven to understeer LESS than a static torque split awd car.

statistically speaking, far more accidents occur in rwd vehicles because they have more potential for havoc when pushed beyond their limits. if you think oversteer is 'safe', or 'better' then youre just stupid

and as for there being no way to counter understeer...what planet are you living on? try lifting off throttle, or turning in less. i say again - learn to drive.
LSD front wheel drives are rare. Over-steer is better if you know what your doing, i was speaking for people out there who know what there doing. Uhm and thats not counter-steering understeer thats recovering from it, and preventing it. So, maybe you should get a bit more knowledge behind the wheel before you talk with the big boys.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Understeer is nice and controllable for the relatively unskilled driver as the correct response is always to reduce throttle which is the natural response to a loss of control. It is also more predicatable eg you are not as likley to go spinning off the road (sliding maybe).

As far though as the under v over debate - what you want is neutral steer. This is the ability of a car to be under control whilst having all four wheels sliding (at this point and this point only are your tyres being used to their full potential). The real benefit of a neutral steering car however is that you can push it to EITHER under or oversteer.

The advantage of this being that you want each at different times (eg different corners) for a tight corner you want to oversteer but for a wide fast corner you want to understeer.

Qlimax

HSC
humm..
i believe this topic has gone way off topic, but anyhow. i still think that this car would be rubbish against the ford/holdens aka the tanks.

all this safety bs seriously depends on the DRIVERS...
If you are used to FWD, then you can drive better in FWD
and VICE Versa..
handling on RWD is just as good... have you guys not seen difters? every drift that the driver does is set out perfectly and exactly what they want..

so stop baging out RWD cars if you can't drive them.

and of course your AWD are goign to have better handling.. it's always been the case.. just cost more to manufacture i suppose!

anyhow..

this aurion.. why is toyota even bothering to compete with these tanks?

SV6 is already out and been out ages ago.. they also pull out 190 kw's
talk about supercharge and all that ra ra ra... supercharge a sv6 and it'd be the same thing?

sv6 is jsut a family car that has a bit of power..
it doesn't look flash hot..
this car in my opinion is full of rice, i think it would cost more for the looks rather than power..

the big car market is relatively dying anyway.. value of big cars drop much more compared to a small car such as a corolla or civic..

i seriously do not see a point for this car.. honestly...

Mr Will

HSC
DaddyK said:
LSD front wheel drives are rare. Over-steer is better if you know what your doing, i was speaking for people out there who know what there doing. Uhm and thats not counter-steering understeer thats recovering from it, and preventing it. So, maybe you should get a bit more knowledge behind the wheel before you talk with the big boys.

if by "big boys" you are referring to fat bogans who drive v8 commodores then perhaps youre right.

and i assume you mean people who know what THEYRE doing, spelling is yet another of your shortcomings

the actions i described are in fact the correct procedures for countering understeer..part of your posted stated that what i described was "preventing it [understeer]" - if you consider the fact that i was describing the actions you should take when you FEEL understeer - ie it is ALREADY HAPPENING, youd realise how stupid you are.

how often do you drive on tracks? maybe if you tried it, youd know.

fwd LSD's are not rare. they can even be found in late 80's nissan pulsars, not to mention:

integras
preludes
audis
golfs
renaults
toyotas

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Mr Will said:
if by "big boys" you are referring to fat bogans who drive v8 commodores then perhaps youre right.
Insulting someone you've never met by calling them a fat bogan. Gold.

Mr Will said:
and i assume you mean people who know what THEYRE doing, spelling is yet another of your shortcomings
And grammar is yours. "They're" has an apostrophe, as it is two words merged into one. But you already knew that.

Jiga

maybe you should get a bit more knowledge behind the wheel before you talk with the big boys
How many years experience do you have that make you a so confident in your ability? Honeslty its dumb shits like you that rap themselves around poles because they think they know how to control their cars when flooring it around a corner but cant.... how about this revelation, dont be a twit and need to worry about under-steer and oversteer and all that other bullsh*t..... FWD's, RWD's, who gives a crap, honestly!

so stop baging out RWD cars if you can't drive them.
The general idea Ive been feeling is that people have been knocking FWD, and people are only now saying they aernt that bad!

this aurion.. why is toyota even bothering to compete with these tanks?
I disagree with the aurion from the point of view that big cars are on the out IMO.... but from a performance perspective, if its putting out 190kw why wouldnt they have a go at competing with Holden and Ford?

CieL

HSC
Qlimax said:
handling on RWD is just as good... have you guys not seen difters? every drift that the driver does is set out perfectly and exactly what they want..
But their cars are tuned and modded and parts are changed and altered to suit conditions for drifting..

And also, for ANY car - it's the tyres that matter the most, it's the only thing that keeps you in contact with the road..

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
majority of cars these days are designed to understeer, because it is easier for the "average" person to recover from, just release the throttle an apply some brake.

how ever in saying that i much prefer driving a RWD car as compared to my shitty FWD.
i hate driving my car in the wet, cause i cant even give it the slightest bit of gas around a corner or i'm spewing straight across the road (also due to my low tire pressure)
in my parents commodores, esp the ute, it's heaps of fun powering outta corners (wet n dry) feeling the ass kick out an correcting it, whislt smoke is spewing out the back.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i need to try a RWD some day. even though i've never driven RWD i feel the way my car moves and although it's excellent for most occasions i'm only ever happy if it has a nice set of tires on cause currently with the almost new Dunlops and FWD setup i've noticed it's struggled for grip, especially in the wet.

i can't wait for the new Aurion but seriously, it wont be able to compete with Falcadores in my opinion. it will probably try to sell off in low fuel consumption alternative to Falcadores giving the idea that it MIGHT be able to compete but not really. unless they start making V8 toyota with RWD there wont be a serious contender. Aurion is a marketing tool to say, we are trying to be fast but responsible and safe at the same time.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
so much more fun powering out of corners. than being pulled. especially when u give it a boot full.
having smoke pouring out of the guards is heaps of fun

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)