• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Times Higher Education 2005 World Rankings: USyd ranked higher than UNSW (1 Viewer)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I couldn't tell the difference between real natstar and joke natstar. That must mean, natstar perpetuates her own stereotype. Amazing.

phrred

HSC
Sydney beat UNSW by 0.1% overall but UNSW won more sections including recruiters review, int'l students score and faculty/student score. Usyd got better in peer review, citations whilst int'l faculty score was the same

Is int'l international or internal?

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
fuck international studnets. theyre asian. fuck asians

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
fuck international studnets. theyre asian. fuck asians
Unfortunately/Fortunately, so many Dean's Honours students seem to be Asians. For the percentage of people who are Asians in this country (what is it... 4-5%?) , it says a bit when probably 40% of Dean's Honours are Asians and probably half the perfect ENTER/UAI people are Asians.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Omnidragon said:
Unfortunately/Fortunately, so many Dean's Honours students seem to be Asians. For the percentage of people who are Asians in this country (what is it... 4-5%?) , it says a bit when probably 40% of Dean's Honours are Asians and probably half the perfect ENTER/UAI people are Asians.
OGM! You're so racist! How could you.

btw, what are Dean's Honours students? How do I become one?

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
santaslayer said:
I tend to agree with omnidragon on the topic of rankings. Most people here like to dismiss the methodologies behind it but aren't able to provide an alternative. BTW, I don't go to USYD or UNSW. :p
Why does there need to be an alternative? What purpose do the 'rankings' serve other than to spread misinformation based on the subjective opinion of a group of academics?

ManlyChief

HSC
Henry_Kissinger said:
Personally, I did not mind the times rankings.

I was discussing world university rankings with an international student from Norway, and he said that he thought USYD (which was 100 places below his home university) had a better quality of candidate.
Given USyd ranked 38 or something like that how is it possible that this person's home uni ranked 100 placed above USyd? What did they come? -62 or something? Impressive. That must be like getting a UAI of 124.60 :D

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
the same purpose womens' day serves.
It makes money for a company by filling pages of a magazine

You think the rankings were a noble cause or a marketing scheme to sell another magazine?
If its the former they'd pay due attention to how the survey was conducted, e.g. the strict criteria of studies published in the new scientist magazine. The latter speaks for itself.

Liberal Scum

Banned
HSC
To people who try to label usyd=arrogance, didn't all the uow people do the exact same thing when their uni got listed as top? Also I know most of the time when I act arrogant (esp on here) I'm just being a dick, and I reckon it'd be the same for most people.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
although TIME is a well established magazine, so its studies coule be relevant.
However, I think the university one is directed mostly at post graduate work. Yes undergards get taught at universities, but they are just taught what we already know. The post grads/research students are extended mankind's knowledge etc. THerefore the universities don't really need to do anything except provide funding and facilities and its up to the actual students. So I guess its the candor of the students at the respective universities which forms the basis of the studies. Obviously in America they get much more funding so produce more results. However I have read multiple articles in New scientist magazine (British magazine) about research from UNSW, USYD and ANU students who have produced some astounding results. So I don;t really know what the rankings achieve, because it really comes down to the prospective student's potential rather than the university he will be going to, barring the amount of funding he will receive.

HSC
Liberal Scum said:
To people who try to label usyd=arrogance, didn't all the uow people do the exact same thing when their uni got listed as top? Also I know most of the time when I act arrogant (esp on here) I'm just being a dick, and I reckon it'd be the same for most people.
I sure as hell didn't ;)

HSC
N/A
ManlyChief said:
Given USyd ranked 38 or something like that how is it possible that this person's home uni ranked 100 placed above USyd? What did they come? -62 or something? Impressive. That must be like getting a UAI of 124.60 :D
it was the shanghai rankings :)

nice try though.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The two universities are too close on the rankings to reflect any real difference :p. If anything the survey just shows that the only real choice between the two universities is whether you want a small, grassless (but modern campus) and a 20 minute bus ride into Kensington or sandstone and easy access. :p

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
let's not forget a much better social life at usyd.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh and what i'd like to see is some student satisfaction survey.
theres a site for us colleges which asks students to rate on factors such as 'teaching quality, social life, safety' etc. as well as the all important 'would you return to this university again if you could redo it' question.
For us i think its more important to see how much we enjoy uni rather than how good its research depratments are.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I'm so sick of this bullshit rivalry between unsw and usyd and whoever else. In the whole scheme of life and the cosmos no one is going to give a fucking crap what uni you went to and how much grass it had.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
ManlyChief said:
Why does there need to be an alternative? What purpose do the 'rankings' serve other than to spread misinformation based on the subjective opinion of a group of academics?
Why? Because it's all part of the power equation. Our institutions, our social aspects, our culture make it that way. They make these people and their rankings powerful, and that's why people pay heed to them.

What makes them powerful you ask me? Media; universities advertising these rankings; you and I. How do we make it powerful? BY talking about it! We are here debating about it, thereby giving more and more attention to it and inevitably someone's going to pick up on our debate and be convinced onto one side or the other.

You don't see people openly debating about my opinions of which uni's the best, do you? Neither is anyone out there in American or England debating about your personal rankins.

Everything's subjective, I agree. These rankings are not absolute, I agree. But there the social fabric in which we live in make these rankings more powerful than other ones, and there will at least be one overseas student who is going to pay $30000 a year to study law at Melb Uni based on these rankings.

ManlyChief

HSC
Omnidragon said:
Why? Because it's all part of the power equation. Our institutions, our social aspects, our culture make it that way. They make these people and their rankings powerful, and that's why people pay heed to them.

What makes them powerful you ask me? Media; universities advertising these rankings; you and I. How do we make it powerful? BY talking about it! We are here debating about it, thereby giving more and more attention to it and inevitably someone's going to pick up on our debate and be convinced onto one side or the other.

You don't see people openly debating about my opinions of which uni's the best, do you? Neither is anyone out there in American or England debating about your personal rankins.

Everything's subjective, I agree. These rankings are not absolute, I agree. But there the social fabric in which we live in make these rankings more powerful than other ones, and there will at least be one overseas student who is going to pay $30000 a year to study law at Melb Uni based on these rankings.
whoa - them's fightin' words.

but don't implicate me in the 'we give the rankings power by talking about them' thingo - remember my first post in this thread:

ManlyChief said:
I have stated before how stupid all such rankings are - I can't be bothered to find the link to my post discredting the methodologies of these surveys - yes, let's remember they are just surveys - but you all know how to use the search function to find the post.

Let's just forget about it all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)