Timetable Clashes (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
That clash between law and chem existed last year also. My advice would be to go to the law lecture, and catch up on chem, which is easier than the other way round.

Harrowell doesn't put lecture material online but there is a set of notes for the topics in WebCT. Most of the material would just be revising HSC chem though, so it shouldn't matter too much. Kepert lectures entirely out of Powerpoint slides which are online.

heart

sm:)e
HSC
I didn't realise that a lot of the chem would be hsc chem... that's good then =)

Could this clash still exist next semester?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Not that I'm aware of, but subjects change next semester.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
coulda said:
Um Gordo...how do u know WHEN u should turn up to a law lecture?! how'd u know which days the lectures on assignments due were going to on?! and how would u know when an important lecture would be on?
they will give you a list containing the guest speaker, topic and date of each lecture in the first class. THey will also tell u lectures arn;t compulsory and numbers will dwindle after a couple of weeks. Just pick interetsing ones, like everyone went to justice kirby for example.
Considering legal institutions doesn;t even have an exam you don't need to write any notes the entire year. THe subject just gives you an introduction to different facets of the law.

coulda

HSC
okay...in case a new chem lecture isnt opened...i definitely will go to my first law lecture next Monday (miss the chem) and then see what happens....

bubu

changing timetable????

im so in need of a timetable change

i have 4hours straight of lecture then tut then lecture then tut 4 hours back to bak of study and class on thursday

will they change it for me

thanks

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Re: changing timetable????

Please post all your timetable questions in here - the 2nd and 3rd years will do our best to help you, but its impossible to do this if you continue to post millions of threads all asking the same question.

Yes you can change your timetable, there are two ways to do this.

1) Online
- click on "change my timetable" when you first log into the timetable unit. You can block out an entire day or two 5 hour blocks.
- Once you have picked what you want to block, make a preview. The preview will show you what kind of timetable you can have.
- If you don't like it, click "I don't want this timetable" and it will take you back to the blocking menu. Once you are satisfied, click "give me a timetable like this."
- It will issue you with a new timetable. If this is ok, click "log-out"on the top right hand corner.
- Log back into the timetable uni to check your timetable is the one you want.

2) In person.
Go to either the Madsen Building or the Student centre from 10am tommorow to speak to one of the lovely timetablers there, explain what you want, maybe why and they'll work magic for you!!

PLEASE BE AWARE YOU CANNOT MOVE LECTURES. ONLY TUTORIALS CAN BE MOVED

Good luck with USyd's timetabling system!

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

ujuphleg said:
Please post all your timetable questions in here - the 2nd and 3rd years will do our best to help you, but its impossible to do this if you continue to post millions of threads all asking the same question.

1) Online
- click on "change my timetable" when you first log into the timetable unit. You can block out an entire day or two 5 hour blocks.
- Once you have picked what you want to block, make a preview. The preview will show you what kind of timetable you can have.
- If you don't like it, click "I don't want this timetable" and it will take you back to the blocking menu. Once you are satisfied, click "give me a timetable like this."
- It will issue you with a new timetable. If this is ok, click "log-out"on the top right hand corner.

2) In person.
Go to either the Madsen Building or the Student centre from 10am tommorow to speak to one of the lovely timetablers there, explain what you want, maybe why and they'll work magic for you!!

OK, so you can't remove lectures, but can you just attend other lecture streams? They're the same, aren't they?

A

adamsaclown

coulda said:
u have any idea how i can POSSIBLY choose between LAWS 1006 and CHEM 1901?

did anyone do CHEM 1901/1001 last year? Know if most of the material is the same (like it is for SOFT1001/1901, MATH1001/1901, etc)? Cos then if you're really desperate to goto a CHEM lecture you could goto the standard one (unless they're on at the same time)

tennille

HSC
I think they're similar. Go and print out the syllabus for each of them and compare them.

lala2

Banned
HSC
This is a dumb question, but how do you know if there's a clash? Will there be two classes timetabled on the one slot?

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
uhoh
i got major clashes apparently
are these easily resolved by the masden building people? or am i going to have a gay year?
:(
ps. how do i find out what clashes with what? i recently changed from chem fundamentals to regular chem, and from biol to biol adv

princess_ariel

HSC
I have a clash as well - I have a 3hour lab for SOFT1901 from 2-4pm, but at 3pm, I have a CHEM1908 lecture! I checked online and found out that both subjects only have one lab/lecture stream. What do i do now??? I honestly don't think i can make it not attending lectures...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Then honestly you shouldn't be doing an advanced subject. It is inevitable you will miss lectures, if you don't think you could pass missing one of three lectures then you should reconsider whether you are up to advanced chem.

princess_ariel

HSC
Well, I don't know... All those lecturers stress the importance of going to lectures.... Shouldn't the university sort this out? I mean, isn't that what school fees are for???

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A

ujuphleg said:

1) Online

2) In person.

Many thanks Uju, I tried your method and I got the best possible timetable scheduling for the many contact hours that I've got with Uni - unless Accounting Workshops are not compulsory (Can someone clarify that btw?). Again, thanks.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
princess_ariel said:
Well, I don't know... All those lecturers stress the importance of going to lectures.... Shouldn't the university sort this out? I mean, isn't that what school fees are for???
Lectures have no roll. Hence not compulsory. And regardless of that, missing 1 in 3 lectures isn't going to matter much.

Timetabling is an NP problem. To sort out a timetable that allows all 30000+ undergrads to have no clashes and room allocations would require a supercomputer to work forever. So no, there'll always be clashes.

Quit whinging and be realistic about it. You're bound to have a clash during your time at uni doing science.

Last edited:

tennille

HSC
lala2 said:
This is a dumb question, but how do you know if there's a clash? Will there be two classes timetabled on the one slot?
When you get your personal timetable on Myuni, the clash will be in red.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
i have the CHEM1901 and LAW1006 clash as well =(

coulda

HSC
=(
yeah well i emailed the School of Chemistry to ask if they will open another CHEM 1901 lecture (that Monday lecture) and they said that they are aware of 15 ppl with this CHEM 1901/LAWS 1006 clash and that "at this rate there will be no other lecture" *GRRRRRR

on another note, as Gordo mentioned earlier...i was on WebCT and for LAWS 1006 - Foundations of Law..they have put up the Lecture Series Schedule so that we can see which lectures are important to go to or not..

on the other hand, if us Science/Law people can come together and some go to law lectures while some go to chem notes (and swap alternatively if need be)..then we can swap notes or something!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)