Timetables? (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yay UoS buddies, what exactly is the difference between 1903/1993 anyways, is it better to do Special Studies? (I would guess my bio score is good enough for Special Studies) What is the guide for picking Advanced or SS? (Interested for Chem 1A also, whether to just do normal or adv)
Well, SSP is probs more full-on. The prac component has a few full-on reports and is worth 60% of the mark and then the other 40% is all the stuff you would do in Human Bio minus the prac work.

Just do normal chem if you aren't super interested in chem.

I'm going to need some Human Biology study buddies. I'm going to have no effing idea what I'm doing o_O. Why did I only do wishy washy humanities subjects for my HSC?!
I'll basement myself if I'm still at USyd next year so I'll probably be a good study buddy if I stick to the current plan. :spin:
You should be fine as long as you apply yourself, it shouldn't matter that much. Like I got 91 in the Chem exam and 87 overall for Chem yet I'm averaging 63 in uni chem. ~whoops~
So like, it shouldn't matter heaps.

Haha I did like an even split of maths/science (6u) and 6u of humanities.

With the electives on the basic timetable, can you do a random humanities for a bit of breadth in a science degree as there are random humanities subjects on the UoS list?
Well, bio was kind of not really a science in the HSC anyways. :p

Doing BSc(Adv) you have two free electives in first year and can take any UoS (you can do science units for this and then take your free electives in 2nd year, or just use them for science units) as long as you have the prereq's (except law and med units).

I was just having a minor freak out because in the handbook they recommended doing a bridging course if you haven't done HSC bio :eek2:
Nah, HSC Bio is pretty useless anyways. It was pretty much a humanities subject.

Didn't do HSC Bio (or any other science during Year 11 & 12) and ended up getting credit for both BIOL1001/1002. You'll be fine.
afaik 1903 is a lot more challenging than 1001/1911.
Concepts is pretty much year 9-12 bio and a little bit of extra stuff.
That's why you can do advanced without even doing HSC Bio.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
afaik 1903 is a lot more challenging than 1001/1911.
Concepts is pretty much year 9-12 bio and a little bit of extra stuff.
That's why you can do advanced without even doing HSC Bio.
I found concepts in biology a lot harder than human biology, lol.

But to put it in perspective they're both a walk in the park compared to chemistry.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The only overlap you would have between Commerce and Science is maths probably. You still have to satisfy the requirements for both of them and that would be impossible in three years, given it takes three years to complete each on their own and you're only allowed to do a maximum of 30 cp a semester (usually 5 units of study).

It depends on the unit. Some units I've done scale ALL of their Units of Study which are at the same level (e.g I'm pretty sure chemistry scaled all first year units together) in which case it generally is better, but only if you do better than the normal students on the common content. When you get to third year though, you will usually only be in UoSs which have an enrollment of maybe 10 or 20 in which case very few HDs are given out (two maybe) if they scale that subject on its own.

Although doing an advanced subject in itself is a good point regardless of the mark, and a future employer would understand that if you got a C in the advanced version and someone got a D in the regular version, you're probably both of equal skill in that area.

Yep, I'm starting med at USyd this year.

Staying at USYD awesome, you'll be able to do meats :D

And thanks for all the advice Rippy :) I may want to save the electives for if I want to do exchange or something-not sure. And I think I'll just stick to Chemistry 1A, bio's more my thing.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I found concepts in biology a lot harder than human biology, lol.

But to put it in perspective they're both a walk in the park compared to chemistry.
FUCKING SHOULD'VE DONE BIOLOGY

fml

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm saving this quote for the end of next semester.
But like, I was good at HSC Bio without trying.

Can I do the same with uni?

(but also I'm going to try because I need like 90+ in errythang)

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
But like, I was good at HSC Bio without trying.

Can I do the same with uni?

(but also I'm going to try because I need like 90+ in errythang)
Depends, how long does it take you to learn a four hundred page textbook?

(Speaking of biology textbooks my earlier offer still stands. Half price, near perfect condition.)

If the only thing you want to do is maximize marks I'd suggest getting it from somewhere and learning the content ahead of time :tongue:

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends, how long does it take you to learn a four hundred page textbook?

(Speaking of biology textbooks my earlier offer still stands. Half price, near perfect condition.)

If the only thing you want to do is maximize marks I'd suggest getting it from somewhere and learning the content ahead of time :tongue:
About 8 days probs.

(I'm going to buy it off you if I'm still at USyd next sem. Like legit. I will see you on the first day or whatevs. Don't sell it to anyone else until I tell you I'm deffs not going to USyd. :spin: )

Yeah, but like, if I'm not going there then I don't want to bother. Ceebs.

Too busy learning maffs.

avoidingstudy

HSC
Do you think I'm going to have trouble in first year because I haven't done HSC Chemistry/Bio and I plan to probably take Chemistry 1A and Bio as well at uni? And I should definitely stay away from the advanced units for these subjects first year because I haven't done the HSC subjects right(I might not even be able to enrol in them because of prerequisites maybe)? Also should I perhaps start looking over HSC Chem/Bio during these holidays (I'm probably planning to do this anyway)?

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you think I'm going to have trouble in first year because I haven't done HSC Chemistry/Bio and I plan to probably Chemistry 1A and Bio as well at uni? And I should definitely stay away from the advanced units for these subjects first year because I haven't done the HSC subjects right(I might not even be able to enrol in them because of prerequisites maybe)? Also should I perhaps start looking over HSC Chem/Bio during these holidays (I'm probably planning to do this anyway)?
As long as you apply yourself you should be fine.

DEFINITELY stay away from advanced chem if you didn't do HSC Chem (if you got a 95+ ATAR you can enroll in Advanced BIOL without doing bio in the HSC).

If you want to then look over HSC Bio/Chem (Chem moreso).

pHyRe

HSC
The only overlap you would have between Commerce and Science is maths probably. You still have to satisfy the requirements for both of them and that would be impossible in three years, given it takes three years to complete each on their own and you're only allowed to do a maximum of 30 cp a semester (usually 5 units of study). .
Think you misunderstood what i was saying, basically I was wondering why a double degree would be harder than a single degree as you have 5 years to complete it while doing two single degrees is 3 + 3 years = 6 years. And i figured you would have some overlaps to make a double degree about the same work, no?

jet

Banned
HSC
Think you misunderstood what i was saying, basically I was wondering why a double degree would be harder than a single degree as you have 5 years to complete it while doing two single degrees is 3 + 3 years = 6 years. And i figured you would have some overlaps to make a double degree about the same work, no?
Where did you hear that it was harder?

jet

Banned
HSC

pHyRe

HSC
People on the thread saying that if you do a double degree you will have 5 days of classes, or else 4 that make you want to kill yourself.

e.g.

You're going to be there 5 days anyways (4 if you're lucky/have a few terribly long days that will make you want to kill yourself)

#experience
It is a double degree :S

I can try to formulate a timetable (2013 Semester One) for you if you'd like. But I need to know your engineering stream/discipline and science major ~ and what units you'd possibly like to undertake according to this structure: http://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-degree-programs-page/did/742

pHyRe

HSC
People on the thread saying that if you do a double degree you will have 5 days of classes, or else 4 that make you want to kill yourself.

e.g.

You're going to be there 5 days anyways (4 if you're lucky/have a few terribly long days that will make you want to kill yourself)

#experience
It is a double degree :S

I can try to formulate a timetable (2013 Semester One) for you if you'd like. But I need to know your engineering stream/discipline and science major ~ and what units you'd possibly like to undertake according to this structure: http://cusp.sydney.edu.au/students/view-degree-programs-page/did/742
or is that just the degrees that THEY have chosen which were science and engineering i think.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It has nothing to do with how long the degree is.

Your contact hours are related to what you major in.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

e.g.
okay, in a comm degree you would normally have 3 days
Science you'd normally have 5
Put them together. Lol

or is that just the degrees that THEY have chosen which were science and engineering i think.
and yeah, medsc/engg is what I do and I had 5 first sem and 4 second sem (but I skipped classes).

subtleness

HSC
Do i still need to create my own timetable for BPHARM? So confused with everything right now.

Oh and can someone formulate a sample timetable for me?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)