Timmy's "Studying for Chemisty" is basically crap/wrong (1 Viewer)

SmileyCam

HSC
the most wrong part is the "don't do your homework" doing all the HW that my teacher has given me is probably the best way that I have learnt the topic.

etc... etc... continuing to explain it's crapness

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I think you'd have to be a bloody idiot to not do your homework.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I...don't understand. Why on earth would anyone think that no study is good? :confused:

rama_v

HSC
You guys have obviously taken the quote out of context. Here is what timmy said
Don't do your homework - Yep, thats right, don't do your homework, IF, and only IF it isn't relevant. One of my teachers set homework/mini-assignments that had nothing to do with the course. What a waste of time if you actually did them, when you could be studying stuff thats in the course. Of course, if there are severe penalties; just do a dodgy job of it and hand it in
If the homework is not relevant, theres no point in doing it is there?

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
High school chemistry is stupid. Timmy's right, skip the homework.

HSC
I do all the homework, 99% of hte time its relevant, i guarantee you homework has helped me heaps, i get SO many questions that i get almost identical ones in exams that set questions nobody's ever seen in past hsc papers

richz

dont do hw which isnt relevant to the syllabus, thats what timmy was trying to say

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
xrtzx said:
dont do hw which isnt relevant to the syllabus, thats what timmy was trying to say
That's not necessarily helpful.

Sometimes it isn't smart to limit yourself to the syllabus. What's not written in the syllabus may help you understand what is in it. It never hurts to gain some additional knowledge, I'm sure our brains have the capacity to fit in a little more than a few dot points.

I've always read thoroughly through textbooks and completed exercises that weren't entirely relevant and 99% of the time I use what I learned, and my answers stood out from others. It really pays off to know some extra stuff.

HSC
yep its good to have added knowledge, the second they launch an assess/evaluate question, you can backup your judgement through additional knowledge, for example, you can talk about ethanol as a fuel and its sucess in certain countries you are within syllabus reaches, then you can start talking about in the past 6 months brazil phased out ethanol because its so expensive to distill, you aren't asked to go indepth, however you are backing up your argument, so even the most nazi of markers will give you the marks

Pointy Ears

HSC
I agree with what a lot of you guys have said.
I find that mastering the syllabus and the verbs, coupled with constant practice through HSC and trial exams are the way to go in order to kill any science subject.
And umm, i have never done my homework...not that i find it irelevant, but because i prefer to study questions similar to those that i will be attempting in the HSC.
And besides, doing homework takes up so much more time.

All that extra background info that you guys all talk about i feel are already a part of the syllabus- a lot of the data processing dot points already ask specifically about things like how brazil had previously used ethanol as a fuel as Casmira said. Bascially, i feel that the syllabus has already covered it all.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Hi,

Thanks for your opinon. I think that if you are just after marks in the HSC, as opposed to actually learning stuff, stick to the syllabus. If you want extra knowledge, for sure, go do the extra homework, but unfortunately, the HSC is now just about learning whats relevant, and learning how to do the questions, as opposed to 'really understanding' the work - by that I mean you can do well even if you don't really know the content.

The reason I wrote that, was that in my time during the HSC, and especially in my physics course, we had a lot of homeworks and assignment that did little to add to my marks. I think my point still stands, and please don't take it out of context. You have to appreciate the fact that not all teachers are out there just to get you marks, some of them want to see you learn and stretch your thinking- and as such, set extra homework that is not particularly relevant to the syllabus.

SmileyCam - since you think my guide is basically crap/wrong, please ignore it all together, or PM me and convince me why its wrong, and I'll willingly take it down - I'm at no loss, since I've finished the HSC.

Dreamerish- I respect your opinion, and from what I hear (from mitochondria), you love chemistry. Feel free to read beyond whats required in the syllabus. Learning extra doesn't harm you, but for many people who struggle with HSC chemistry, I think their time is best spent focusing on the syllabus

Last edited:

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
Dreamerish- I respect your opinion, and from what I hear (from mitochondria), you love chemistry. Feel free to read beyond whats required in the syllabus.
You know Mitochondria? :D

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Really now. Well, he's a nice boy. :)
Yeah except I haven't seen him on BoS since he went to Singapore :( I think he is too busy worrying about organic chemistry (yes, I will start studying tomorrow ... :rolleyes: ). You sound almost patronising ... that is it; we'll have to talk some about you behind your back when I see him tomorrow.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Jumbo Cactuar said:
Yeah except I haven't seen him on BoS since he went to Singapore :( I think he is too busy worrying about organic chemistry (yes, I will start studying tomorrow ... :rolleyes: ). You sound almost patronising ... that is it; we'll have to talk some about you behind your back when I see him tomorrow.
Hmm, he came back a couple of times.

Haha, don't be mean.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
lol ... talking about Mito behind his back!!!

*sms's mito* :D

joking :)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
*looks around*

*rolls eyes*

I found it :D and I feel loved :p

*scribles "mito's been here"*

Anyway, timmy can't be wrong :p He got a high uai (and I do mean high) ^^ I don't think timmy meant that literally so yeah XD Take it easy U_____U Dinner for me! Laters people!

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Haha ... it'll be the only time you'll feel loved :rolleyes:

Go and do your assignment mito :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)