Tips for the new year 12 (1 Viewer)

swangal

kEep up with ur maths work all year round
NEVER decide that a new episode of the Simpsons is more important then studying for an assesment task(learnt that from experience)
Realise that there is still LIFE after the HSC
dONT Leave ur study till the last day
Get to know ur teachers properly and ask them questions
Live up to your expectations...not OTHERS, and if u dont know what u want to 2 after the HSC, its fine!
and most importantly...
DONT STRESS! ITS ONLY ONE STUPID EXAM! (or series of exams)...u have so many options pass or fail..if u do ur best u cant ask for anything more!

Overshoot

All of this advice is so unrealistic.

I mean, WE didn't follow half of it.

I'm gonna write something after I've gotten my UAI (that'll tell me how effective my study technique was).

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Some simple advice; To quote The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, Don't Panic , especially concerning the HSC.

For each exam (With the exception of History Extension.I learnt my lesson.), I was quite worried about all the arcane and obscure questions they could ask. As strange as this may sound, the BoS would prefer the vast majority of students not to fail, and as such, the questions within the exams are often of a rather general, broad nature.. Good, provided you know your stuff (And it doesn't take hours on end every day in order to achieve this.).

So in conclusion, good luck for the next year, and onwards. :p

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by Overshoot
All of this advice is so unrealistic.

I mean, WE didn't follow half of it.

I'm gonna write something after I've gotten my UAI (that'll tell me how effective my study technique was).
I was thinking the same thing...

An important thing to note is that the HSC is overrated. :p
If you have not studied anything from the start of year 12, you have 5 whole weeks I think to prepare everything.
Im not saying that you should do this, but just think how much you can cover in that amount of time. :)
The HSC for most, won't be a full fledged cram job...

kalli

HSC
before exams, quickly browse your subject forum and u will pick up things ppl are asking and u didnt know.....

Overshoot

I would suggest things like study smarter, not harder. Use practice papers to find out what you don't know and then study that. Too many people waste too much time studying stuff they already know.

dizzyingheights

Originally posted by Overshoot
I would suggest things like study smarter, not harder. Use practice papers to find out what you don't know and then study that. Too many people waste too much time studying stuff they already know.

VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY TRUE.

Eliminate questions they may have already asked from the syllabus (esp as the 4th yr to go through the new HSC) and isolate what they haven't asked yet. Take note also of what they repeatedly ask.

This method will ensure (in most cases) what areas are likely to e examined. Smart study all the way.

s2ophie

HSC
i went to sign out today and my italian teacher had his new year 12 class and he wanted me to give them my advice. Of what i said to them, the only thing that hasn't realy been mentioned is that it is YOUR HSC! Not your parents! I know people who had their parents check all their work and were constantly on their back. This suits some people but remember that the HSC is a reflection on you - not your parents. If you can't find the motivation to do it for yourself, why are you doing the HSC?

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
If you can't find the motivation to do it for yourself, why are you doing the HSC?
So true... if you're in the position of doing it for the sake of your parents/teachers etc, in the end, you might not be happy with what you've done since it's not "good enough" for them... just do your best, and take pride in that.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by dizzyingheights
VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY TRUE.

Eliminate questions they may have already asked from the syllabus (esp as the 4th yr to go through the new HSC) and isolate what they haven't asked yet. Take note also of what they repeatedly ask.

This method will ensure (in most cases) what areas are likely to e examined. Smart study all the way.

reeeeeellllaaaaaxxxx

swordfish

i didnt do much until term 3 of year 12. Working hard from the start might suit some people, but i think i would have burnt out. Having said that, i worked pretty hard from term three onwards....i did 5hrs on skool nights and 8 hours each day in the last holidays (sept/oct) and during stuvac. this does NOT count weekends....i don't think i had a weekend in all of year 12 where i did more than 3 hours. Weekends are for play so you can get the motivation to keep going during the week!
If you're an obsessive kind of person like me, use a watch....i timed myself using the stopwatch on my sportswatch so that i could actually see how much i had done. it feels soo good to see that you've done 8hrs!
Just remember to stop it if you take a break, and start it again when you get back!

lightenup

i say: if your going to 'stress-out', do this early in the game. I did, and i was calm and relaxed for the HSC.

Also, it's not everything. Thats the most overused sentence but believe me, i'd know. People matter, keep your friends close -because they are infinetly more important than a UAI result.
think about it.

lightenup

study smartly- it's too easy to re-learn what you already know. Take lots breaks, and if your mind isn't on the work leave it for a while. Take walks to rest your head.

D-o n-o-t c-o-m-p-a-r-e y-o-u-r-s-e-l-f t-o o-t-h-e-r-s

and dont let ppl make you think theyre smarter etc.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by lightenup
study smartly- it's too easy to re-learn what you already know. Take lots breaks, and if your mind isn't on the work leave it for a while. Take walks to rest your head.

yeah that is so true, otehr people who i thoguth where 'mroe superior' to me in the terms of education suprised me bcos they werent all they were cracked up to be....

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
i say: if your going to 'stress-out', do this early in the game. I did, and i was calm and relaxed for the HSC.
Good advice. I had my moment of catharsis in July or thereabouts (Concerning my Extension 2), and as such, I was [relatively] calm for the actual exams.

Remember that Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. namely that even the best study plans don't always work out. As presumably expounded upon above, try to adapt yourself and your study patterns to events. Flexibility works well for some people.

N

ND

I disagree; competition is healthy.

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
Originally posted by ND
I disagree; competition is healthy.
Yeh, but not to ppl whoz standards are insane compared to your own :p

Maybe someone someone who is just a little better than you...

tempco

HSC
Competition is definitely healthy, but not to the point of it demoralising you. That would be far from healthy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)