Titles (1 Viewer)

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
'Twas originally called The Crowd but as of two weeks ago is currently called Freedom. I'm sure it will change again.

J

jhakka

And if you need one the next day, the name of your main character can always be used. :)

HSC
N/A
passion89 said:
I can't think of one - it's so hard! The title is by far the hardest bit :mad1:
I find with titles that I personally like them to reflect the spirit of the work. It can be a phrase, a quote, VERY short summary of underlying concept/main concept etc.

An exercise which you might find useful is this:

In two minutes, write a list of words which you feel somehow relate to your Major Work. Say I was writing about a boy who reads a newspaper - you might have "glasses", "eyesight", "paper", "papercut", "bored", "annoyed", whatever. You can also use places, names, events... really anything that comes to mind/you think are important.

Next, join a couple of these words using joiners like "and", "from" and "to" etc etc

From these lines normally you can get inspiration for other phrases/quotes etc, which can become a title :)

J

jhakka

Is it directly related to your story?

I always thought Untitled was quite deep. :)

nwatts

HSC
I'll often title pieces with a quote from the text. Elaborate and mystical titles wreak of pretentiousness.

bigwillz

Bigwillz
HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
Elaborate and mystical titles wreak of pretentiousness.
AMEN! pretentious titles make both me and markers vomit violently all over the works. Think, these people have been marking major works for years. They see it every year, "johhny Mc-year-twelve thinks he has gone through the looking glass and been ordained high priest of social commantary and philisophical issues, all in 8000 words, isnt johhny clever!" WRONG! johhny is a self important wanna be literary master who thinks an ambigiously fashionable title is going to make up for the collective drawl of his otherwise amaturish kiddy tale. *ZERO'ED!*

J

jhakka

bigwillz said:
AMEN! pretentious titles make both me and markers vomit violently all over the works. Think, these people have been marking major works for years. They see it every year, "johhny Mc-year-twelve thinks he has gone through the looking glass and been ordained high priest of social commantary and philisophical issues, all in 8000 words, isnt johhny clever!" WRONG! johhny is a self important wanna be literary master who thinks an ambigiously fashionable title is going to make up for the collective drawl of his otherwise amaturish kiddy tale. *ZERO'ED!*
Haha. That made me laugh. :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
nwatts said:
I'll often title pieces with a quote from the text. Elaborate and mystical titles wreak of pretentiousness.
Or if not a quote, a reference to a character or event can be nice, for example D & L Eddings' Malloreon is a reference to the continent it takes place in(Malorrea). Its simple and it works well when you consider one of the underlying aims of the book is to expand boundaries.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just work on this theory:

Pick every 5th word from your first paragraph :D

nwatts

HSC
Haha I just did that with a few pieces.
"Past 6-o-clock the days showers enigmatic thud it's happening." sounds a bit stream-of-consciousnessy. Or another, "On an electric slide the seat be blue." sounds surprisingly coherent.

Asy's found a winnner. :p

Neea

HSC
I don't know if this title will do justice to my plot, but I wanted something simple, something that captures the eye: It's all about me.
Does that sound lame?

nwatts

HSC
Neea said:
I don't know if this title will do justice to my plot, but I wanted something simple, something that captures the eye: It's all about me.
Does that sound lame?
Yes.

I thought of a better one for you: "Memoirs of a failed Australia's Next Top Model: I should have won, you fascist bitches."

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
That's Entertainment.

I thought of my title before I thought of the actual storyline, luckily my story fits with the title.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmm, cliche'd stuff seems to be a minus in this subject

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I love coming up with titles.

99% of the time I come up with it only after the story is finished, so as to reflect the underlying theme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)