Titration (1 Viewer)

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
We're going to be doing titrations for our prac exam. Is there anything I should look out for and be aware of?

imoO

HSC
Review the titration process very carefully. Things such as what to rinse the burette with...making the solution with DISTILLED WATER instead of tap water...etc..

It's simple, but there a plenty room for error

Nuendo

HSC
I usually only complete two titrations - one test run (let the solution in the burette flow out quickly and gain a rough idea of the equivalence point), and one proper run (I'm pretty lazy when it comes to titrations, so I put all my time and effort into gaining just the one result and using that as my average, ahah).

My pet hates regarding titration:

- acid/base on the sides of the conical flask (always wash it down with distilled water)
- bubbles in the burette and/or pipette (give it a good tap, or refill)
- not using enough indicator (textbooks say to put around 3-5 drops, put 10 times that amount)
- solution turns into the equivalence colour, but then changes back to its original colour after three seconds or so (this is actually a good thing, and I usually take this reading as my final result)

Hope this helps,
Good luck in your exam!

Last edited:

Barrister

HSC
Pretty simple really, all you have to do is follow the steps outlined in standard titration procedure. Make sure you rinse the burette and the pipette very carefully with both distilled water and then the substance it will contain, just to be sure.
Never use any more than 6 drops of indicator, my experience with phenolpthalein is that anything more will affect the equivalence point.
Run a test/rough run first and then complete three full titrations, minimum accuracy of + or - 0.1ml from medium result.
If two are exactly accurate, the third may be ignored.

HSC
make sure you know the difference between the END POINT, and EQUIVALENCE POINT

HSC
the end point is when you notice a permanent colour change, and the experiment is over.

the equivalence point is when there is exactly the same amount of moles of each substance and theoretically the solution is neutral

hena_xox

HSC
Do you know what acid and base ur using?...coz i just did my prac exam on titrations yesty.

renny 123

HSC
I have my titration prac tomorrow..
How close should the titres be to be considered close enough to include, within 1ml of each other?

hena_xox

HSC
i did my titration prac on wed and i but my NaOH(base) in the burette and my HCl (acid) in the pipette...

What acid,base and indicator r u using

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Does it matter where you put the base and acid? :S

@ hena_xox: How did your prac go? & No idea, we got told what we're using on the day x_x

Crashy19

HSC
doesn't the one that you are measuring go in the pipette
if you know the amount of one, you put that in the burette because then you can get a reading from the pipette on to how much you have used to get the indicator colour right

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Crashy19 said:
doesn't the one that you are measuring go in the pipette
if you know the amount of one, you put that in the burette because then you can get a reading from the pipette on to how much you have used to get the indicator colour right
thats what i thought as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)