TMAT! The Martial Arts Thread (1 Viewer)

monaro-man

Ramen Raider
HSC
TMAT! The Martial Arts Thread!

okay, everyone who does any form of martial art, post here!

post these things:

1> Name of the martial art (duh)
2> Where u train
3> How long you've been doing it
4> a url if possible

i do a Vietnamese martial art called Vovinam Viet Vo Dao. there are two training places i know of, bankstown and fairfeld. ive been doing it for almost one and a half years (yes, im a noob) but have to stop until i finish hsc (im only in yr 11). it rocks. www.vovinam.com

1> Karate - Goju Ryu - Shodan / Learning - Russian Spetznaz Knife Fighting, and about to start learning B.J.J. and Muay Thai... Possibly going to Japan next year to train with the big bosses of my karate who are 7th, 8th and 9th dan... woohoo

2> I Train in my Dojo at home, at the classes and in the school's hall

3> since i was 5, which means about 12 years (taken a break for HSC)... My Dad is the master and he trains us hard... its actually slack to see people that have been doing karate for 2 years that have black belts... i laugh and give them shit :D ... seeing that i got my belt last year and it took me 11 years means that i at least know my martial arts in depth, not the slapstick skata that most people do like learning to kick a peice of wood...
:D

quote - "ill see you at the UFC... Biaaaatch!"

allyteaded

I do Kung Fu - Wing Chun. It's quite a popular martial art. I'm on Grade 3 only... There are Four Grades then six levels after that. I've been training since the beginning of 2000... so about 3 years and a half.

I'm not too serious about it at the moment - I only train once a week just for the excercise and self defense skills. I train at Westmead which is the closest branch to where I live.

If only I started since I was five like Styled n Slick *sighs dreamily* ... except... back then I think I wanted to be a gymnast... although, I always wanted to be something like Chun Li.:p

After HSC, I figured I'd do another form of martial arts - I'm interested in some form of sword fighting i.e. Iaido. Kendo's ok... just that all the equipment seems so expensive. Any suggestions on really good sword martial arts? (Don't say fencing.)

Sorry, I've been trying to look for the official page but I can't remember the exact URL. If I look it up, they don't seem to be the right one. Aw well..

Last edited:
We meet again, Ally :p (do you mind if I call you that?)

1) I am learning Ji Do Kwan... Mix of Korean, Chinese and Japanese influences. No-one's really heard of it. After HSC I want to start Wing Chun, somewhere near Central where my bro used to go. I also want to learn Capoeira, and eventually some weapons styles too. I want a broad base of differing martial arts eventually.

2) I train in the hall of Rose Bay public school, our class has at most, 14 people training at one time, so we don't need much space (Which is good cause we don't have much space!). It's only a beginning school, my group and I are the 'founding members' here in Oz. My instructor brought the style from Israel.

3) I've only been doing it for a year, I'm such a MA baby! I got my yellow belt a couple of months ago and I won't get my green for at least another year/year and a half.

4) No URL to speak of unfortunately... I might speak to my instructor one day about setting one up, as it's a relatively unkown but brilliant form of martial art.

HSC
well i used to play karate ages ago (bout 6/7 years ago) somewhere in burwood...not really sure why i quit. Then i moved to taekwondo for a bit.
Like FunkmistrssDina, i wanna learn Capoeira.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by monaro-man

i do a Vietnamese martial art called Vovinam Viet Vo Dao. there are two training places i know of, bankstown and fairfeld. ive been doing it for almost one and a half years (yes, im a noob) but have to stop until i finish hsc (im only in yr 11). it rocks. www.vovinam.com

wtf i do that too :cold: but i aint stopping .. i'm going to do it during hsc year to 'peace out' from studying :) LOL shit.. where do u train? bahhh.. so weird :cold:

1> Name of the martial art

Vovinam
2> Where u train
Bankstown
3> How long you've been doing it
err... since end of yr 7 [i'm in yr 11 now]
so.....4 years ? :p
4> a url if possible
www.vovinam.com

0ver97

i used to do vovinam at bankstown for like a year when half way thru year 5 and 6 i quit, because it wasnt competive enough

i might have known you kimmeh

now i do another Vietnamese form of martial art called
Viet Quyen Dao at Bankstown PCYC, been doing it for 5 and a half years, heaps more competitive and hands on in my oppinion.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
*kimmeh goes crazy*

lol

why dont u post up ur names ? :p

yeah one of vovinam's principles is like not to compete or sumfing.. i was like hesitant to join coz i wanted to do tournaments and stuff :p

To ... (it's hard addressing you when there are no letters!)

If you find a martial arts school which is understanding enough and aims to cater to all sorts of people, you should be able to train. Not that I know what you back problem is, but unless it's too major then see if you could speak to some instructors (If you find a school which interests you) if they could accomidate for you?

Maybe it wouldn't work? I dunno!

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
I did some Taekwondo..I still cant spell it..Its at Bankstown PCYC as well, on Monday and Wednesday arvo...stopped at the beginning of this yr...and I wasnt very good at it:)

Jeo

1) Kung Fu

2) Cabra

3) Long Enough

Last edited:

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by Styled n Slick
1> Karate - Goju Ryu - Shodan / Learning - Russian Spetznaz Knife Fighting, and about to start learning B.J.J. and Muay Thai... Possibly going to Japan next year to train with the big bosses of my karate who are 7th, 8th and 9th dan... woohoo

2> I Train in my Dojo at home, at the classes and in the school's hall

3> since i was 5, which means about 12 years (taken a break for HSC)... My Dad is the master and he trains us hard... its actually slack to see people that have been doing karate for 2 years that have black belts... i laugh and give them shit :D ... seeing that i got my belt last year and it took me 11 years means that i at least know my martial arts in depth, not the slapstick skata that most people do like learning to kick a peice of wood...
:D

quote - "ill see you at the UFC... Biaaaatch!"
hahaha you say you know your martial arts in depth then you say "I'll see you at the UFC..." lol you crack me up.

guy

HSC
Originally posted by Styled n Slick
1> Karate - Goju Ryu -
you should try kyokushin

me, kyokushin karate mainly, but kickboxing and capoeira
keen on bjj this year but

tai kwon do is fucking gay

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by allyteaded
I do Kung Fu - Wing Chun. It's quite a popular martial art. I'm on Grade 3 only... There are Four Grades then six levels after that. I've been training since the beginning of 2000... so about 3 years and a half.

I'm not too serious about it at the moment - I only train once a week just for the excercise and self defense skills. I train at Westmead which is the closest branch to where I live.

If only I started since I was five like Styled n Slick *sighs dreamily* ... except... back then I think I wanted to be a gymnast... although, I always wanted to be something like Chun Li.:p

After HSC, I figured I'd do another form of martial arts - I'm interested in some form of sword fighting i.e. Iaido. Kendo's ok... just that all the equipment seems so expensive. Any suggestions on really good sword martial arts? (Don't say fencing.)

Sorry, I've been trying to look for the official page but I can't remember the exact URL. If I look it up, they don't seem to be the right one. Aw well..
My Friend is a senior instructor at Jim Fung's (??) Wing Chun academy.. 2 of my friends have come from Japan through that school to study. In Japan I did JUDO but the Jim Fung Wing Chun is amazing!! He has a video on his website somewhere of the ONE INCH PUNCH. I think Jim Fung has a school soon in Tokyo, but I saw other Wing Chun school from other masters and they are crap. I want to start but I go back to Japan next year so it's a little tough because I am from OSAKA.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Takuya
My Friend is a senior instructor at Jim Fung's (??) Wing Chun academy.. 2 of my friends have come from Japan through that school to study. In Japan I did JUDO but the Jim Fung Wing Chun is amazing!! He has a video on his website somewhere of the ONE INCH PUNCH. I think Jim Fung has a school soon in Tokyo, but I saw other Wing Chun school from other masters and they are crap. I want to start but I go back to Japan next year so it's a little tough because I am from OSAKA.
theres this guy form my karate that used to go there.. how do i know? he wears the "master Jim Fung's Wing Chun" shirt...
he stands out so much.. the shirt is white and our uniform is blue :p

i;ve never seen wing chun at work
*bring it on* :D:D:D:p
(") (*^^*) (")

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)