TMAT! The Martial Arts Thread (1 Viewer)

Takuya

Banned
A blazing inferno of blood and despair...
Originally posted by kimmeh
theres this guy form my karate that used to go there.. how do i know? he wears the "master Jim Fung's Wing Chun" shirt...
he stands out so much.. the shirt is white and our uniform is blue :p

i;ve never seen wing chun at work
*bring it on* :D:D:D:p
(") (*^^*) (")
Who would ever want to do Karate after doing Wing Chun?!

I supposedly attained a black belt in Judo, but I sparred with a WC guy who had been training less than half the time I spent doing Judo and let's just say I lost :p

That's why I want to start Wing Chun soon, maybe after November I can go to every class every day before I go back to Japan next year!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Takuya
Who would ever want to do Karate after doing Wing Chun?!

I supposedly attained a black belt in Judo, but I sparred with a WC guy who had been training less than half the time I spent doing Judo and let's just say I lost :p

That's why I want to start Wing Chun soon, maybe after November I can go to every class every day before I go back to Japan next year!
judo is a martial arts based on throwing techniques but also involves considerable grappling on the ground utilizing specialized pins, control holds, arm locks, and Judo choking techniques. Judo emphasizes safety, and full physical activity for top conditioning. i presume win chun is more like karate.. where it involoves a variety of techniques, including blocks, strikes, evasions, throws, and joint manipulations. but mainly emphasis on speed of attack...

Tae Kwon Do is gay... I've seen lower level JUDO beat Tae Kwon Do :p

I hear many people start off with TKD but then move on hehe...

tkd has really shit patterns, i rkeon.. but i like their style better than judo.

*sigh nothing beats Vovinam :D:p:D

Takuya

Banned
judo is a martial arts based on throwing techniques but also involves considerable grappling on the ground utilizing specialized pins, control holds, arm locks, and Judo choking techniques. Judo emphasizes safety, and full physical activity for top conditioning. i presume win chun is more like karate.. where it involoves a variety of techniques, including blocks, strikes, evasions, throws, and joint manipulations. but mainly emphasis on speed of attack...

tkd has really shit patterns, i rkeon.. but i like their style better than judo.

*sigh nothing beats Vovinam :D:p:D
What I like about Wing Chun is the fact that it is very scientific... it's the only martial art which can prove that it works through biomechanical and physical principles. That school has an entire publication, which I believe is contributed to by one of the Professors at UNSW!

guy

HSC
Originally posted by sei
what's wrong with it?
its so based around the olympic sport now that its all about points and not actually fighting as much
like, kicking the target in the gut, so they just flick it, they don't picture themselves kicking "through" the target... they are just so flicky. and the forms is easy and its heaps easy to grade.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
it's the only martial art which can prove that it works through biomechanical and physical principles.
in which ways though? :cold: i'm confused about that....

Originally posted by guy
its so based around the olympic sport now that its all about points and not actually fighting as much
like, kicking the target in the gut, so they just flick it, they don't picture themselves kicking "through" the target... they are just so flicky. and the forms is easy and its heaps easy to grade.
yeah they just have to tap that area .. and certain areas mean ceratin points....

it'd be so cool if they had tournaments like they do in the chinese films :p

guy

HSC
tournaments for kyokushin karate are pretty fucked, i've seen a few broken things and at recent world titles, this guy i know lost his memory for half an hour. kyokushin is full contact, and heaps of dojos everywhere means good competition which leads to hardcore training

also very good international scene

Takuya

Banned
in which ways though? :cold: i'm confused about that....

yeah they just have to tap that area .. and certain areas mean ceratin points....

it'd be so cool if they had tournaments like they do in the chinese films :p
Their force generation is all proven through Newton's Laws and through Conservation of Energy / Momentum; their redirection (no hard blocking) is all proven in terms of angular momentum... It's great :D It shows that the 'one inch punch' is no trick too...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Aikido is equally justified through physical principals of momentum and conservation of energy. I must say though that karate is the most fake martial art of all. It's not even really Japanese (created in America) and it's all about show (who can kick the highest etc). Half the dojos are all about drilling kids and push ups, then they move on to punching and kicking without learning the proper principles of balance and timing. I was very disappointed.

I've been doing Aikido for about five years, two of those at the Leichhardt Aiki-kai dojo, and the rest at school.

I'd say the more authentic (and more effective) martial arts are still based on their original "spiritualistic" principles (ie harmony of mind and body etc) like wing chun, aikido, tai chi and to a degree judo (which is lough rougher aikido).

Last edited:

guy

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Aikido is equally justified through physical principals of momentum and conservation of energy. I must say though that karate is the most fake martial art of all. It's not even really Japanese (created in America) and it's all about show (who can kick the highest etc). Half the dojos are all about drilling kids and push ups, then they move on to punching and kicking without learning the proper principles of balance and timing. I was very disappointed.

I've been doing Aikido for about five years, two of those at the Leichhardt Aiki-kai dojo, and the rest at school.

I'd say the more authentic (and more effective) martial arts are still based on their original "spiritualistic" principles (ie harmony of mind and body etc) like wing chun, aikido, tai chi and to a degree judo (which is lough rougher aikido).
ide get defensive its half true for so very many karate dojos out there. but kyokushin and most dojos i know is the exception

and its sooo not about who can kick the highest, thats tai kwon do for sureee. karate would be more about who can kick the hardest

also, not all martial arts have to originate from japan, not even asia

anyway, for every martial art, its all about the dojo

Kn1ght_M4r3

1> Name of the martial art (duh)
Go Kan ryu. [ karate ]

2> Where u train

Used to be around umm bossly park.

3> How long you've been doing it

i started in year 7 till year 10

4> a url if possible
none.

I kinda got lazy and quit lol. but im gonna go back and try another one, maybe thai boxing. my friend does it his a mad fighter. He killed his nerves in his legz, and feels no pain down there. d0es anyone noe if there are any consequences of doing that?
*lookz at cyph* since u do the kickboxin stuff do u do that to? kill yah nerves so no pain wen u belt kicks at pplz. ?

guy

HSC
kill the nerves?
you can kick sandbags and heavy bags and calice the skin and harden the shin so its tough? but you gotta remember to roll your shins to get rid of bumps

guy

HSC
rolling the pole dosn't make it tougher, that just makes sure you have no bumps which suck and when they get bigger they are harder to get rid of

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Kn1ght_M4r3
yah kill the nerves. =)
like yah get a metal pole or something and u roll it down the shinz of yah legz. i dunn0 wen u kn0w its dead. but yeah i just no my friend did something like that and feelz no pain.

does that strengthen the shins? coz when sumone kicks me there.. i can barely stan up after... is DAMN hurts...
Originally posted by guy

and its sooo not about who can kick the highest, thats tai kwon do for sureee. karate would be more about who can kick the hardest

also, not all martial arts have to originate from japan, not even asia

anyway, for every martial art, its all about the dojo

in vovinam.. apparently its the girls who do the best kicking.. [in vietnam that is] .. my master says that the girls can run and kick up to the ceiling fans and grab peoples necks.... ... adding ot that.. they practiced on concrete.... :cold: but yeah... i'm getting there :D:D:D

guy

HSC
Originally posted by Cyph
Yeah, and a real art is so not about who can kick the highest or the hardest, it's about putting it altogether at the right time. e.g., a guy throws a thigh kick, you check it and step forward at the same time hitting with a hard jab, follow up right a right, then a hook and a thigh kick of your own before going into knees if you want.

A lot of people drop their hands when they throw kicks to gain more power, balance and momentum, that small opening affords you a lot of potential damage to your opponent.

You don't need to hit that hard, you just need to hit in the right places with the right timing. :)
i didn't mean that hard kicking thing
and the guard thing i wanted to criticise tkd on but i felt a bit over enthused in my flaming of tkd. at karate drop guard=3 pushups... not much unless your a noob

sei

HSC
That's so stupid. If you rely on blocking force with force, then you'll always get beaten by someone who's stronger than you no matter what.
what martial arts advocate blocking force with force?.. tkd?

so the alternative is working with the attacker's momentum right? ...is this sort of defence still possible in really close combat, where for most people the only defence would be raising their arm or leg to block?.. if you guys can, give me an example...

Takuya

Banned
Originally posted by sei
what martial arts advocate blocking force with force?.. tkd?

so the alternative is working with the attacker's momentum right? ...is this sort of defence still possible in really close combat, where for most people the only defence would be raising their arm or leg to block?.. if you guys can, give me an example...
Wing Chun is all about close quarters combat... My friend started teaching me a bit and their techniques work really well. I even used some in a real situation and it worked, so I was pretty happy.

I've come to the conclusion that all those sports based martial arts are pretty much useless, because people may be considered best in their art because they won a whole lot of tournaments, but guess what - tournaments have rules. In a real fight there aren't any rules, and your attacker is going to kick you in the nuts, punch you in the face and everything.

If you're interested about Wing Chun I found a video on the website with the one inch punch at the end. There's another part there (forgot what it's called) that GM Fung does too:

http://www.wingchun.com.au/multimedia/open day/openday_hi.wmv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)