• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

To all Year 12 students and people who finished year 12 (1 Viewer)

st1m

HSC
Hi,:rolleyes:

I just want to know something...

I do the following subjects:
Adv English ( my worst subject, 7/15 last assessment)
3 unit Mathematics 79% 6th out of 22 students not so confident about the next exam though.
Physics (80% last assessment 5th out of 19 students)
Chemistry ( 65% came 5th out of 23 students)
Biology (74% came like 5th out of 27 students, not so confident about next exam because it was really hard)
Photography( 52%? but i don't care)

In year 12 I'm looking to either take 4 unit mathematics or keep biology and do 11 units.

My question is what is the content that will be needed from year 11 to go on with you in year 12. What is the most important things you need to learn in year 11 to do well in year 12? that is Mathematics, and all the sciences and English.

KhyryKay

HSC
pretty much, year 11 is just the basics of year 12.

everything in year 12 is just built up on what you know from year 11. Nothing from year 11 is tested on in the hsc other then maths where 30% is year 11 stuff.

Dr. Zoidberg

HSC
My physics teacher told me that 10% of preliminary physics can be tested in the HSC.

i.e. you may need to know how to use a preliminary formula to be able to work out the rest of the question.

st1m

HSC
KhyryKay said:
pretty much, year 11 is just the basics of year 12.

everything in year 12 is just built up on what you know from year 11. Nothing from year 11 is tested on in the hsc other then maths where 30% is year 11 stuff.
So would you be able to do well in yr 12 without studying in yr 11? when you say basics do you mean like say chapter of moving about is going to be say extended in yr 12? please clarify

thnx

st1m

HSC
Dr. Zoidberg said:
My physics teacher told me that 10% of preliminary physics can be tested in the HSC.

i.e. you may need to know how to use a preliminary formula to be able to work out the rest of the question.
whats the difference between can be tested in yr 12 and is the basics of yr 12? and whats the point of doing well in the preliminary if only 10% can be tested?

HSC
they say that but trust me when i actualli studied for the HSC i didnt even touch year 11 stuff...now i dont know if that made me get "not as good marks" but i believe everything was just from year 12...i mean sif u dont already have brain damage from just year 12 stuff fwah

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
st1m said:
So would you be able to do well in yr 12 without studying in yr 11? when you say basics do you mean like say chapter of moving about is going to be say extended in yr 12? please clarify

thnx
Yeah, that's what I heard from my tutor. The Moving About and Cosmic Engine modules were very important for the first HSC module.

st1m said:
whats the difference between can be tested in yr 12 and is the basics of yr 12? and whats the point of doing well in the preliminary if only 10% can be tested?
Does it really matter either way though? You're going to have to know the Preliminary content fairly well regardless wouldn't you? I'm still in Year 11 but I'm taking the safe approach - actually learning lots of stuff in Year 11 for a good background knowledge and in case it is actually tested.

HSC
Continuum said:
Does it really matter either way though? You're going to have to know the Preliminary content fairly well regardless wouldn't you? I'm still in Year 11 but I'm taking the safe approach - actually learning lots of stuff in Year 11 for a good background knowledge and in case it is actually tested.
yeah I suppose that would help in the end...but you will probably realise you'll be crying out of depression and insanity that ur stuff that u need to learn is like the same height as u x] but iunno depends on how lucky you are, my exams when i did them i had at least 1 day to study for them if not more.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
haiironotenshi said:
yeah I suppose that would help in the end...but you will probably realise you'll be crying out of depression and insanity that ur stuff that u need to learn is like the same height as u x] but iunno depends on how lucky you are, my exams when i did them i had at least 1 day to study for them if not more.
Explain?

HSC
Continuum said:
well i did the HSC last year, near when we started studying for it, you begin to realise that the stuff is limitless..from prelim to hsc stuff. and because you want to maximise ur marks, so you would obviously want to equally distribute ur study time to each subject, you will have to make sacrifices. the fact is, they possibly will have preliminary content in it, but the percentage is so fairly small that i would say if you see that you are running out of time to study, because you would realise hsc content is limitless, you would probably sacrifice that preliminary content. however if you have efficient studying, and a good memory, then im sure u would have no issues studying both years contents. and depression and insanity is face it everyone stresses before the hsc (well MOST people) because you wont just be rehasing your stuff, but perfecting that english essay and short story...and learning ur formulas, etc etc...a lot of people were stressing...

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Continuum said:
Yeah, that's what I heard from my tutor. The Moving About and Cosmic Engine modules were very important for the first HSC module.

Thats a good approach.

I have found with economics, biology and chemistry that there are lots of things that you learn as concepts in year 11 (for example in economics the theory of supply and demand) and in year 12 you have to apply that knowledge to bigger situations (like the Australian economy). Because the HSC course is so long, teachers dont reexplain these things in year 12 because they assume that you know them. My biology teacher continually says "Year 11 knowledge is assumed knowledge for the HSC"

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
haiironotenshi said:
well i did the HSC last year, near when we started studying for it, you begin to realise that the stuff is limitless..from prelim to hsc stuff. and because you want to maximise ur marks, so you would obviously want to equally distribute ur study time to each subject, you will have to make sacrifices. the fact is, they possibly will have preliminary content in it, but the percentage is so fairly small that i would say if you see that you are running out of time to study, because you would realise hsc content is limitless, you would probably sacrifice that preliminary content. however if you have efficient studying, and a good memory, then im sure u would have no issues studying both years contents. and depression and insanity is face it everyone stresses before the hsc (well MOST people) because you wont just be rehasing your stuff, but perfecting that english essay and short story...and learning ur formulas, etc etc...a lot of people were stressing...
Yeah fair enough. I'm alright though, I might learn stuff and forget it after, but I'm one of those people who'll remember it all again if I skim through some notes for a minute or two.

Yamiyo

HSC
They can't test you on the content of the year 11 syllabus. Like say for chemistry, they can't ask you "Assess Mendeleev's contribution to the periodic table" or "Outline how aluminium is extracted from its ores" but you'll still have to know about polar forces/ all the calculations/ enthalpy etc. to understand some of the stuff that's in the year 12 syllabus.
The exception is maths, where up to 30% of the exam can be year 11 stuff.

~untitled~

HSC
I would suggest keeping Biology, it is quite straightforward, and i found the hsc syllabus a lot easier than the prelim. Personally i found that i didnt need to know anything from year 11 to be able to do the hsc work.

But also, i wouldnt go into year 12 with any more than 11 units, otherwise youll just be putting yourself through a lot more stress than is necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)