To be or not to be?!!! Law at UWS (1 Viewer)

Kalashnikov47

HSC
'tis the question: Is B law at UWS any good? I've always wante to do law in uni, but even if my HSC went more ideally than I think, there is no way i can get something like 95+ for UAI. that means I cannot do law degree first year in any prestigious universities. Should I get into a course in a good univeristy that require a lower UAI (even it is a course I do not like), then transfered to law after 1 year? Or should I go to UWS? Or should I choose something else like Commerce- accounting?

BTW~~~im currently at high band 5 for modern history, band 4 for legal, band 6 for SOR I, mid band 5 for Maths 2Unit, band 4 for Adv Eng (I was sitting at band 5 B4 trial which I screwed up) and high band 5 for Chinses Background speaker... Do you think I'll be able to 90+ for UAI?~~~:cold::cold:

not.addie

HSC
yeah everyone automatically thinks of usyd for the prestigious law degree, but uws isnt terrible- i heard that they have a really good syllabus there and that usyd had apparently bought it from them as well. but you never know if its true.

my sister did law at uws. she loved it there but then again the uni is 10 mins from our home so we're a tad biased. she works at a law firm in the city now, and she got it before she graduated so theres no reason to suggest that employers wont recruit graduates from uws.

Demandred

HSC
UWS has a very intense law degree, if you're semester is filled with law units you'd get anyhwere between 12-16 assessments per semester :O. Just grab the awesome marks and get the references from the lecturers/professors and you should be right.

Lara1986

HSC
Personally - i would say you're better off going to UWS Law and then if you don't like it, transferring out after 1st year to another uni, rather than doing another course and then transferring.

Partly i think this is better as, if you really want to do law as you said you do, you're better off doing a law degree to start with as there is always the possibility that you won't be able to transfer in from the other course, so even if you're not at the uni you most prefer, at least you're doing what you want to do.

As far as if the law course is any good - you learn the same stuff just about everywhere, just like everywhere some teachers are awesome and some suck, just like everywhere some students are committed and some are rude, disrespectful, lazy, cheats - i suppose it depends on what kind of career you want out of it, but generally, provided that you work hard and apply yourself and tack on some practical experience in the work place, you shoul dhave no problems finding jobs with a UWS law degree.

The only thing i would say that is limiting about the UWS degree is that there are fewer electives to choose from, however you have to balance that against there being greater flexibility in timetables compared to some other unis, that and they are gradually adding units to the law degree so there is a bit more choice next year.

Yes you do have an advantage at another uni if you want to work at certain firms because they are very anti-UWS, but i highly doubt you have your heart set on working for a particular firm?

As Demandred said - they are pretty demanding as far as assessments go - we have been told 'unofficially' that this is in order to ensure that the students are of a better quality sort of as a way of making students more competitive with those from other unis. It can be stressful at times, but most people seem to make their way through it all - you just need to plan. And having lots of assessments isn't necessarily a bad thing in a way - it means you have lots of things worth less marks, rather than one or 2 worth lots of marks so if you s crew one up its not the end of the world.

Essentially it comes down to the same thing at every uni - you need to work hard to get good marks, get some experience, try out some pro bono work and make as many connections as you can. Being at UWS, as long as you do these things, won't prevent you from getting jobs - the fact that Justice Kirby's Associate is an Ex-UWS student i think shows that :) Yes she was very very smart, but still from UWS :)

EDIT: Where do you live? because convenience is a huge factor too - if you live say, an hour and a half from maquarie uni, and you have uni 3 days a week, do you really want to spend 9 hours a week travelling?.... it is a big factor to consider because if its a task in itself getting to uni and back, unless you can get lots of work done on buses and trains you will start to hate it :p

Kalashnikov47

HSC
Lara1986 said:
Personally - i would say you're better off going to UWS Law and then if you don't like it, transferring out after 1st year to another uni, rather than doing another course and then transferring...
Thanx a lot for your advice~~~

law at UWS is no doubt going be on my top 3 preference. I live in Parramatta, that means I am getting the Regional Bonus from them too.

I agree with the fact that you are going to study pretty much the same thing in almost every uni for the same course... but what I also think is that the environment and fellow students are also important. e.g. I used to go to a public school in yr10, nd I loved it. Yet my dad told me to transfer to a private school because they have better resources and the students there are better. I told my dad I dont wanna change school because every school teaches the same. After two years in the private school I am studying now, I realised transfering to a school with better resources and fellow students was in fact a very wise decision to make.

sapoi

HSC
Hey there,
In order for you to to be a sucessful law student at any university you must first work hard to gain the best marks possible. As long as you have a UAI of minimum 90, you may certanily be enrolled at UWS. UWS although a young university, has Sydney's third best law school [currentlly replacing UTS with its numbers] following USYD and UNSW. This is because UWS has THE ONLY school of law in Sydney which provides you with min 4 law units in first year in a double degree i.e. LLB/BCOM or LLB/ARTS AND more importantly, UWS is the only uni in syd that offers SINGLE DEGREE OF JUST LAW i,e, LLB without any double degree but you may only be in LLB which is available for both undergrad and postgrad students after completing 8 non law units first so you can always transfer.
For Law @ UWS, it is advised to go to Campbelltown campus as Parramatta is awesome for double degrees but sincere law students prefer the state of teh art Campbelltown campus instead!!! Law at UWS has flexible and practically-oriented syllabus which allows you to get hands on practice and guides you thoroughly throughout your 4/5 year course!!! Go ask the big six lawfirms who they mostly employ? That's right... fresh graduates from UWS think like no other ;)

Existential

HSC
N/A
'tis the question: Is B law at UWS any good? I've always wante to do law in uni, but even if my HSC went more ideally than I think, there is no way i can get something like 95+ for UAI. that means I cannot do law degree first year in any prestigious universities. Should I get into a course in a good univeristy that require a lower UAI (even it is a course I do not like), then transfered to law after 1 year? Or should I go to UWS? Or should I choose something else like Commerce- accounting?

BTW~~~im currently at high band 5 for modern history, band 4 for legal, band 6 for SOR I, mid band 5 for Maths 2Unit, band 4 for Adv Eng (I was sitting at band 5 B4 trial which I screwed up) and high band 5 for Chinses Background speaker... Do you think I'll be able to 90+ for UAI?~~~:cold::cold:
it really is personal preference. for me it comes down to travel. if im going to go all the way to sydney then it would be for a prestigious uni (USYD or UNSW)

I Study Hard

HSC
Don't listen to strawerrberries...
UWS has a great law degree.
I would suggest trying to boost your legal mark up to a band 5 so that you end up with 10 bonus points if you're worried about your ATAR.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
citation?
No citation possible - it's an outright lie. I think there was maybe one at the firm I worked at over the summer (big six), I'd be surprised if there was more than a handful more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)