To people wanting to do this next year!!! (1 Viewer)

JesseMatheson

HSC
Hey guys
I'm currently in year 12 and have finally pulled my head in and started to do well at school BUT for those choosing to do SDD in year 12 BE WARNED. SDD can be very hard its not a more in depth IPT its a whole different subject.

anyone find that they had no idea what they were getting themselves into?

Traediras

HSC
Well, I actually find that the Year 12 SDD course is better than what I had to put up with last year (where we had a real s----y teacher who doesn't know s---). Sure, the major project is a b---- but it's worth it, definitely.

dv3

HSC
I find SDD a really interesting subject (although its probably more my teachers who teaches it interesting than the content :p ). But yeah, if you know that you're going to get a good teacher than go for it. Although if your teacher for SDD is strict, boring, no sense of humour than id advise staying away from it.

But im so glad my teacher is really interesting, funny at times and different to most teachers teaching methods otherwise i would of dropped out back in yr11.

So yeah my recommendation is: Research your teachers. Ask people who are in Yr 12 or 11 who have been taught by this particular teacher. If there good, stay if not find a different subject that you think you might enjoy.

52 days of schooling left (i wish doesnt end :( )

Last edited:

stevey6404

HSC
Okayy, I got one really big questions that I still cannot solve.

I'm currently in year 10 and I did my subject selection, submitted it but we can still change it.

Here's the problem:
I cannot choose between software or business studies!

My other subjects include:
-Ext English
-Ext Maths
-Physics
-Economics
-Engineering Studies

So can you please tell me why or why not I should do software?
I've been thinking for the whole week and I still cannot sort it out!

I'm ranked 3rd in IST out of 40s and 4th in commerce out of 110s+

My current IST teacher (who teaches software) really wants me to do it and said I'll do well in it and I'll love it, but I also talked to a commerce teacher and she also said I'll do well in it and yeah =="

I keep going from left to right, right to left and I still cannot decide.

So to those who's replying to my post,
please tell me if I should do software or not and would it benefit me, and why.

and why would business be better than software.

Thank you.

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
I love SDD, it really depends ALOT on your teacher and your own motivation.
It's not a bad course, very helpful for Uni imo.
IPT is shit-hole, hardly teaches anything.

Steyene

HSC
Bah, IPT teaches you hardware, which can be useful.

Anyway I would do SDD if you want to pursue a career in it and hence carry it on through year 12, but if you aren't looking for a programing based career, do Buisness then drop it >_> It is an awesome course if the teacher is decent.

ray ban

HSC
you can easily fall behind with the project; as long as you actually get it done its a decent subject

zvyx

HSC
You have more of a chance of liking SDD if you:
a) like logic puzzles
b) don't mind thinking something out for a good half-hour or so (i.e. what dragonus said)
c) are eloquent in the humanities (there's a surprising amount of wordy questions in SDD)
d) are into programming (no-brainer)
e) are not doing subjects for the sake of scaling

You have more of a chance of hating SDD if you:
a) are of the instant-gratification type
b) don't like to plan things through
c) see no reason in doing yards and yards of paperwork for a program
d) dislike logic puzzles, or anything that makes you think long and hard (and gives you a headache)
e) are choosing SDD simply because you're doing well in IPT
f) are doing subjects for the sake of scaling (one of my friends is a smart guy, but gave up on SDD because he felt the other subjects he had were worth more in terms of scaling)
g) have a teacher who only focuses on the theory rather than the practical, which kind of makes things quite boring.

Activate

HSC
You should have told me this last year. :( All I do in the class is type out essays for other subjects, and when the time comes I quickly do the assignment given to me. Since my teacher likes me he gives me top marks but when the exams come I will die.

TheStallion

HSC
@zvyx - +1. Very true, and well said.

@Activate - You better drop it for the HSC. What I hate is people saying they hated subjects all through prelim, but never had the balls to just drop it at the end of prelim, and so they kept it for the HSC and fucked up their ATAR.

Activate

HSC
Stallion: The thing is I love the subject, but my teacher has never taught it before and has actually said to us "I'm learning with you guys". So basically he isn't a certified SDD teacher. It's possible he won't be taking us next year and we will get a teacher who has actually taught the course before.

When I go to the library in the afternoons to catch up on notes I get immersed in the Excel book because it's that interesting.

Last edited:

patricio_r93

HSC
Ive got prelim exam on monday and i think im screwed, i can do all the practical stuff but i got no clue in the theory side...

i blame me and my table just playing halo the entire year...

HSC
N/A
Ah yes, well regardless, if i fluke an over 90% in the prelims with about an hour of study maximum i'll think about keeping it, otherwise it's getting sooo dropped :music:

hoecake

HSC
the course is a joke more or less, the textbook is the biggest pile of shit ive ever read and its about 10 years old.

HSC
N/A
Well thats lucky of you to ever have used the textbook! we were told to buy one and this whole year i have literally never opened the front cover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)