To repeat or not to repeat Year 12? (1 Viewer)

matindo64

HSC
Hi peeps!

In light of my trial marks i've come to realise that my slackness throughout the year has come back to bite me on the ass. This is why i'm throwing up the idea to repeat the HSC (but at a different school). Now i was wondering if anyone has done this or knows anyone who has and could share their experiences.

I'm in a pickle because if i sit my HSC this year i miss the first term of 2008's Yr 12 and if i don't do this years HSC i will always wonder if i could of pulled off a crazy comeback...

All posts are greatly appreciated

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
ok i can understand 50% of your post is adrenalin talk, calm down and think about the situation. are your marks really that bad? will it get you into what you want to do? what about tafe and uni of western syd? because in all honesty, repeating yr12 is the LAST thing you want to do. trust me, think of alternatives, you will regret repeating if you don't at least double your marks. people will look at you differently.

matindo64

HSC
Well my subjects, trial marks and overall ranks are:

Advanced English: 76, 6/13 (dont know exact rank or number of kids)
Chemistry: 56 1/9
Physics: 66 1/11
Economics: 79 2/9

and i still haven't recieved my Biology marks yet. My chem and physics marks really scared the hell out of me, i was not expecting marks so bad.

My goal is to get into medicine somehow, im a rural student falling under Newcastle's rural scheme but that still means i need around 91 plus umat and all that jazz.
Which all just seems to be slipping away at the moment...

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Listen, if you seriously think you're not going to get the UAI you want, I suggest you to repeat. Go into hermit mode next year, and complete the syllabus in the first couple of months lol.

But yeah, that idea to go to uni with a bad uai and then get good marks to transfer is a pretty bad idea, considering that it is really hard to get a GPA which is equivalent to a 97+ uai.

EDIT: Actually, I think you can go to TAFE and repeat particular subjects, or choose new ones...

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
don't go to tafe!! it's really important what school you go to, it makes all the difference.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
matindo64 said:
Hi peeps!

In light of my trial marks i've come to realise that my slackness throughout the year has come back to bite me on the ass. This is why i'm throwing up the idea to repeat the HSC (but at a different school). Now i was wondering if anyone has done this or knows anyone who has and could share their experiences.

I'm in a pickle because if i sit my HSC this year i miss the first term of 2008's Yr 12 and if i don't do this years HSC i will always wonder if i could of pulled off a crazy comeback...

All posts are greatly appreciated
Its your choice, but i reckon repeating may not be the answer. I know a lot of people who did bad for HSC, they go to tafe and trust me some still went to uni with low uais into good courses.
Im not sure where you live, but if you lived close to University of Wollongong they have a uni college with hecs which a lot of people that i know have also enrolled in. In uni college you do a year of either commerce or I.T and if you pass you get into year 2 of commerce/ I.T directly the following year plus have a diploma.

Hope that helps.

Rachael21

HSC
I agree, DO NOT REPEAT YR 12!

I semi repeated in that I did pathways which was the worst mistake of my life (maybe a slight exaggeration, but you get my drift). For some reason I thought that I would become really motivated and dedicated to school if I repeated, when in reality I've just become really slack and completely and utterly sick of school.

the HSC isn't the be all and end all...at least that's what I've been telling myself. There's still time to improve and even if you don't get the best UAI, there are other ways of getting into your desired course. Hope my ramblings can help in some way

Sweet Saz

HSC
I would not repeat year 12. Could you really do it all again?
I know a girl that repeated year 12 and in the end she got exactly the same mark. Once you decide to repeat year 12 you loose this year's mark. Is it really worth running the risk that you won't better your mark, or still won't get into the course you want?
According to my career's advisor the school system is actually really flexible. The teachers don't tell you this because they want you to get the highest mark you can but there are so many alternative routes and other complimentary courses you could do if you don't qualify for the course you want at Uni. I think the best thing to do would be to talk about and explore your options. Your marks aren't that bad, and your rankings are right up there. The trials are only a % of your mark along with the HSC exams and the assessment tasks you've done this year. You can still do it!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
ranks only matter if your colleagues are raping it, and if 56 gets you 1st place, i doubt the rank speaks volumn.

really, don't repeat unless you swear to yourself that you will do nothing but study for the next 12 months, and if you KNOW that you can do it. do an apprenticeship or something. they are not as bad as you think.

matindo64

HSC
Yeh rank counts for nothing at my school, well i got my biology mark back:

Biology 83, 1/12 (was nice but was hoping for a 90)

I've been too slack this year and i think this talk about repeating is just my head trying to make me feel better. I'm going try and concentrate on this year for now, see what i can scrape out of it, thanks to everyone who posted!

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
Hakz summed it up well
I had a friend who repeated year 12 and now hes sooo bored. - I reckon he will probably get a worse mark that if he had just got it over and done with. there are alternative pathways - speak with your teachers/career advisors about this.

piccolo

HSC
it seems that the general idea is to not repeat. but...
i did the hsc last year, got my uai back and decided to repeat. yes, i hadnt done the first term of work but obviously i had already learnt it at some stage and the assessments i missed out on are estimates based on the rest of my performance this year. for me, it was the right decision. but i think its such a personal choice that you have to make it yourself. everyone was telling me not to do it. my mum and her brother (who is a teacher) had major fights over it cos he wasnt supportive at all and pretty much told me i was making a stupid decision. but you know what, it was my choice and im glad i made it. i wasnt ready to go to uni next year. i was so scared of the propect. but now im motivated and im keen to kick ass in the hsc and go to uni and move on with my life. get advise from whoever you can but dont let it make your mind up for you. you are the only one who is completely familiar with your circumstances, you will know whats right for you. find out about your options and give all of them serious consideration. but yeah, repeating worked for me :)

Evilo

HSC
piccolo seems to be a really keen student who wanted to do really well. I think you have to make a honest choice - is it you who wants to do year 12 again or your parents. Because if its not your desire - it wont be a good year and will probably be a waste.

HSC
Optophobia said:
Do not spend any more time in school than k-12.

DO NOT repeat the HSC.

There is always time for improvement - it's never too late. Either get into a crap course and then transfer after one year, or do the tertiary certificate at TAFE. But whatever you do, DO NOT REPEAT YEAR 12.
i agree! there is always time for improvement

i wanna do med as well, my trial marks r crap, but if u dont try...then how will you know u cant pull it off?:)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i reckon don't repeat. theres plenty of different ways to get to where u want to be.

try looking up stuff about wollongong college.
its like a step to uni sort of thing.

but seriously dont repeat

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
hmm i did not realise this thread was a year old

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)