To write or to type up summaries..? (1 Viewer)

adelaidecruz

HSC
Hi all, just wondering.. How do you all do summaries for each subjects? (I do Chem, Bio, 2u Maths, French and EngStn btw)

I don't really find the need to write comprehensive dotpoint notes aside from my science subjects.. What's the most efficient approach you have used or have been using? Typing or writing it down? So far I have downloaded a massive amount of notes from state rankers, textbooks & other secondary resources and am planning to compile it all to one chunk. I really want to do as much revision / advance studying as I can this summer plus I figured if I did my summary notes now I can just keep adding on new topics and any additional information if need be so I wouldn't cram everything in the last few months leading up to the HSC lol thanks!

chairs

HSC
it all depends on what you prefer. if you prefer writing, do that. (sorry, may not be that great of a help, but this is true, just because someone does well in one way, doesnt mean it will work for you) either way, make sure that your notes address the dot points. that is the most important part. you can have loads of notes, but if they dont answer the dot points, you wont do that well. also in my experience, i would say dont go too in depth with the notes (but sometimes it does help you grasp concepts and understand stuff).

lastly, in my opinion, the most most most important part in studying is doing past papers - that is the key, start as early as possible, do as many as you can. if possible ask teacher to mark them.

anyways, all the best with your studies

Last edited:

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Summaries usually change every now and then, so it's better to type them up eventually. However, retention and immersion is usually achieved by writing notes. Using low-modality here as some people actually retain more by typing vs writing.

envlam

HSC
N/A
For maths, I definitely recommend writing short summaries of the notes, instead of typing them up. There are a few reasons to this. Firstly, typing up maths properly takes a lot longer than just writing them down. Secondly, the extra time that would be needed to type up the maths would be better spent on doing practice questions which is infinitely better to help with the retention and understanding of the material. By doing practice questions you are also constantly testing yourself whether you actually understand the material or not. Most students reread their notes over and over again until they think they understand the material, but in reality they haven't applied enough of it. That's why some students walk into the examination room thinking they are prepared and come out severely disappointed with their performance due to their mind-blanks. These mind-blanks are a direct result of believing that they understood the material when they didn't. Doing practice questions without referring to the answers is a great way to test if you can actually apply the knowledge which acts as a buffer to this costly error in judgement.

The main reason to write notes is so that you can refer back to them to refresh your memory. So a good way to write notes for maths is to use loose leaf papers and binders instead of writing them down in an exercise book that most students do. Loose leaf papers & binders offers you the flexibility to add in extra notes and move them around without compromising much on the organisational aspect, whereas in an exercise book if you decide to add in extra notes to a certain topic more often than not, you won't have enough space and you will be stuck in a rut.

Last edited:

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I used to write them
But then found typing to be a tad more effective.

Shuuya

HSC
I used to write them
But then found typing to be a tad more effective.
Same here. I wrote out most of my prelim notes, but found that typing was more efficient for HSC.

If you find it difficult to retain information when typing, you can always write out more condensed summaries closer to exam periods, which I found to be a good way to refresh my memory after a while.

sourmilk

HSC
Honestly I prefer typing because if your learn new information on the way you can easily insert them between dot-points. The concept of writing is nice, but it takes twice as long.

Personally, I'll say type all your summaries and then just read them and highlight / draw / annotate your notes so it's easier to comprehend.

ALawrence

HSC
Whether you prefer writing or typing, make sure that your notes are:
- concise
- include all the important info
- IN ONE PLACE!

Don't have several folders for one topic or subject. Whether they're on your computer or in a binder, make sure ALL your notes are in ONE PLACE.

I think type all your summaries but make sure there's not like 20 or more pages of one topic...that's not summarising, that's just rewriting! Make sure you re-read, highlight, annotate, rewrite, whatever gets the notes into your brain! Good luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

tloos

HSC
I prefer to write, but that is due to personal preference. I typed notes before, yet found retaining that information for me was difficult. I find by writing down notes (which i condense come exam periods) I am revising/learning as I go. Writing notes for me, I find they are easier to remember and that I have a better time understanding the concepts, rather than typing. That is just me, but it is honestly what you think/what works for you. Both have pros and cons, go with what you think is best for you, no right or wrong way.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I wrote my notes all through year 11 + half the year 12 and realized I was wasting so much time and effort - typing is the way to go imo.

EDIT: Oh I answered this before lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)