Toning legs/building muscles (1 Viewer)

ay0_x

HSC
Sup all. I'd like to start building muscle in my legs. I already have a certain level of muscle (i'm a mesomorph) which means I can't have thin legs like, ever, so I may aswell make the most of it and add more muscle/tone up dramatically. We have a stationary bike with 8 resistance settings so I was wondering if using that on the highest setting would do any good? And for how long, how many times a week etc. Other than that, what are good exercises to build muscle in legs? (besides the squat machine and squats, I have fucked up ankles, refuse to fuck them up more)

quik.

HSC
Sprint intervals on the cycle will do a pretty good job of it

No weight bearing movements limits you quite a bit... if you have access to machines you can use the leg press etc

If not, sprint intervals of cycle/running (if ankles can take it), sled pulling if you can rig something like that up

HalcyonSky

HSC
uhh squats shouldnt be putting much strain on your ankles at all unless you're lifting 300kg or you're doing something horribly wrong... also, pics are needed for a proper recommendation of what sort of stuff you should be doing (asking on behalf of omie)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i already know what she looks like, and that she's pretty fat. Try skipping, that should get rid of all the flab and work out ur calves, and maybe try to get ur ankles fixed since almost all leg exercises require the use of ankles.

ay0_x

HSC
quik: How long for each sprint interval, and how long between them? & should I set the bike to a lower or higher setting? HalcyonSky- My ankles really are that fucked up; a fall usually has me limping for two weeks. Nice try regarding teh pix :p

LinkinParkour

HSC
suggestion: fix your ankles firstwhat's your actual goal? note that building muscle and losing weight are two different things. If you want muscle bulk do higher intensity things, such as 100m sprints rather than running a couple of km. Grass is better too cuz you can stuff your knees on concrete. Body weight squats are generally good if you can't do like 50, by then they get pretty useless. Move up to jump squats.-dislikes weights-

quik.

HSC
20-30 second sprint on as high a setting as you can maintain, can increase this as fitness increases or adjust if you are already quite fit (does your stationary bike have a cadence counter on it? Aim to keep a certain rpm at a certain resistance level for the 20-30 seconds etc), 1-2 minutes on low setting low cadence, repeat

The sprint should be a SPRINT, if you can walk without issue after you are done you have trained like a pussy

I will ask my physio friend about ankle strengthening stuff if you'd like

ay0_x

HSC
suggestion: fix your ankles firstwhat's your actual goal? note that building muscle and losing weight are two different things. If you want muscle bulk do higher intensity things, such as 100m sprints rather than running a couple of km. Grass is better too cuz you can stuff your knees on concrete. Body weight squats are generally good if you can't do like 50, by then they get pretty useless. Move up to jump squats.-dislikes weights-
Would fix my ankles if there was a way Achilles tendonitis - Better Health Channel. // Like I said my goal is to build muscle, don't give a shit about weight

ay0_x

HSC
20-30 second sprint on as high a setting as you can maintain, can increase this as fitness increases or adjust if you are already quite fit (does your stationary bike have a cadence counter on it? Aim to keep a certain rpm at a certain resistance level for the 20-30 seconds etc), 1-2 minutes on low setting low cadence, repeat

The sprint should be a SPRINT, if you can walk without issue after you are done you have trained like a pussy

Thanks buddy :) It doesn't have a cadence counter but it does have a speed counter so I can just use that & try to keep it stationary. How many reps do you suggest?

quik.

HSC
Aim for 10-15 reps of the sprint/slow cycle (roughly 20-30min) and see where you end up

From there adjust from your perceived exertion (how much do you have left in the tank?) and current level of fitness and recovery

If you fall short of 10-15 whatever, you have a target to reach

LinkinParkour

HSC
I know someone who once had ankle problems. The doctor told him he needed to take some injection. Instead he stayed off it and did a few stretches and light exercises. He was fine in a few weeks. Keep that in mind.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
quik: How long for each sprint interval, and how long between them? & should I set the bike to a lower or higher setting? HalcyonSky- My ankles really are that fucked up; a fall usually has me limping for two weeks. Nice try regarding teh pix :p
I have a person training program that my trainer wrote for me. I have about 3 ammended programs.. My newest one is just all cardio... because i realised i started gaining a couple of cm on my arms and chest etc... so they made me a new program which should "stop me gaining those cms" If you want i could take my program home and scan them, then send them to you?

ay0_x

HSC
I have a person training program that my trainer wrote for me. I have about 3 ammended programs.. My newest one is just all cardio... because i realised i started gaining a couple of cm on my arms and chest etc... so they made me a new program which should "stop me gaining those cms" If you want i could take my program home and scan them, then send them to you?
Thank you, but cardio's not what I'm looking for. I get enough cardio from what I do day-to-day =]

Daipire

HSC
Squats and lunges
I used to do 5 sets of 15 reps with a 5 minute interval till i realised i didn't really care about leg muscles

to increase difficulty, throw some textbooks in a bag, you can usually get around 10kg just from that. (finally, textbooks serve an actual purpose)

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
There are excercises for stregthening ankles, I probably got a list of them somewhere around my room...
yeah, my ankles and knees are effed up too. doesn't stop me, pretty sure i broke something in it about a month or two ago and it hurt quite a bit but eh. i have a wobble board, that helps, and constant stretching so you're not putting any strain on the ligaments & muscles. also, it helps to stretch out your calves and legs too, because having those muscles loose reduces the pressure on your ankles.
source; a lifetime of lower leg problems, including but not limited to, shin splints, extremely sprained ankles, potential broken foot, broken toes, floating bone, the list goes on :|.

anyways, you don't want to build that much muscle, trust me. i have beasts of calf muscles and they piss me off. if i stretch out my leg and point my toe you can literally see about four dents in my leg and my calf muscle is like a proper corner. i hate it.

cycling on a lot of resistance will make your bum bigger, squats aren't too bad for your ankles at all. but it also works on the top of your legs and not really the bottom that much. i'd recommend skipping, you can potentially hurt yourself but if you don't do anything your ankles will just get weaker and weaker and you'll end up never being able to do proper exercise. take a risk and it will strengthen them a lot.

Last edited:

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC

looooooove that feeling of getting off the bike and your legs are all wobbly :D.

pete000

HSC
N/A
babe,

fitness first, load up the leg press with six 45's on each side and pump out 3 sets of 12 reps. Great for mesomorphs and your legs will be toned and strong in no time. Great for toned thighs and soleus muscles in the calves.

Last edited:

alex1992

HSC
pete000 has brough up a good point.

I believe that you should also squat around 100kg atlest, to really properly work those legs.

jiratic

HSC
Hi Ayo
it might not be your cup of tea but dance would do wonders, on a 1-2 classes a week basis, preferrably ballet/jazz: something of a technical nature.

Stretching can improve leg tone, as it strengthens muscle fibers as well as elongating connective tissue.

If you want to work on your calves: walk on releve around the house every day- it may look daggy, but after a few months you'll notice it dramatically increases muscle tone and strength, especially in calf/feet muscles.

Cycling/sprint interval training is great for tone and cardio too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)