• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Too late for 4U (1 Viewer)

cjl247

HSC
Hey guys, I'm doing 3U maths right now, and do you know if it's too late to start 4U? I know I've left it a bit late but yeah...
Normally I think it's okay, but the 4U assessment itself is very soon as well so...
Also I am able to get tutoring. Especially over the holidays :)

Any answers appreciated, thanks.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
I don't see why not. Our school is only up to De Moivre's Theorem in relation to 4 unit maths. Before that, there are only very simple concepts. If you feel as though you could have done 4 unit, give it a go, you can always drop it.

jules.09

HSC
It comes down to how decent you are at math.

Are you genuinely capable?

A tutor isn't going to help if you don't have the drive and capacity for starters.

It's awesome and it's challenging. It's extremely different to 3u but in its own way, rewarding.

Just don't pick it up and compromise your other subjects simultaneously. That is, if you're allowed to pick it up at this stage..

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
if the school lets you, its not never too late, speaking of which, we haven't even started 4unit yet

jules.09

HSC
What? We've just finished Complex Numbers!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
It's not too late until the first assessment. Even then, I think they're allowed to give you an estimate for it, (if you're persistent enough)
So yes. Yes you can. If they say no, keep persisting

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
jules.09 said:
What? We've just finished Complex Numbers!
You can easily learn complex numbers within a few days. It's just getting used to the questions they can ask you might take abit of time (thanks Cambridge).

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah complex numbers us pretty straightforward until you get to vectors. I can't go past question 5 in the cambridge book for vectors.

jules.09

HSC
Continuum said:
You can easily learn complex numbers within a few days. It's just getting used to the questions they can ask you might take abit of time (thanks Cambridge).
Haha, we're using Cambridge at school. It was nice EXCEPT 2.3.

But yeah, exam questions, they really do take a bit of time to get used to!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
cambridge is an alright book but 4 unit cambridge is especially an easy book for cambridge normal standards.

I reckon terry lee would be better?

Anyway back on topic: just give it a go. 4 unit is not as difficult as what people make it out to be. Some people go, "you will lack vitamin S(ocial) if you do 4 unit" or "by doing 4 unit, you just cut yourself from your friends/family/others for the rest of the year"

If you get a decent teacher and a developed-neurone-sufficient brain, you will find the first two chapters a breeze.

shaon0

HSC
kaz1 said:
Yeah complex numbers us pretty straightforward until you get to vectors. I can't go past question 5 in the cambridge book for vectors.
lol. You make Cambridge 4unit sound like it's the hardest textbook in the world to do questions off.

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
cambridge is an alright book but 4 unit cambridge is especially an easy book for cambridge normal standards.

I reckon terry lee would be better?

Anyway back on topic: just give it a go. 4 unit is not as difficult as what people make it out to be. Some people go, "you will lack vitamin S(ocial) if you do 4 unit" or "by doing 4 unit, you just cut yourself from your friends/family/others for the rest of the year"

If you get a decent teacher and a developed-neurone-sufficient brain, you will find the first two chapters a breeze.
I think Cambridge 4unit is a really good book for 4unit if you want to master the content in 4unit.
Integration and volumes is not that hard though. But the exams will probably be very hard :(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shaon0 said:
I think Cambridge 4unit is a really good book for 4unit if you want to master the content in 4unit.
Integration and volumes is not that hard though. But the exams will probably be very hard :(
you reckon? 4 unit cambridge wouldn't be sufficient though. It's a bit too easy to use it to master the 4 unit.

I think I heard somewhere that terry lee is good. And yeah, fitzy is a joke for 4 unit. Studying off that is like studying off the maths in focus for 3 unit - basically means you are screwed.

shaon0

HSC
lyounamu said:
you reckon? 4 unit cambridge wouldn't be sufficient though. It's a bit too easy to use it to master the 4 unit.

I think I heard somewhere that terry lee is good. And yeah, fitzy is a joke for 4 unit. Studying off that is like studying off the maths in focus for 3 unit - basically means you are screwed.
Nah. Have you seen terry Lee? It's piss easy.Fitzpatrick and Cambridge are the best on combination.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
No textbook is sufficient enough to help you "master" Extension 2. The tougher exam questions hardly resemble those you find in textbooks.

Textbooks are only good to develop basic skills (and I think Cambridge is best at facilitating that). Anything beyond basic skills requires consultation of past HSC/trial exam questions.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
lyounamu said:

That brings my confidence down. I find Cambridge pretty hard. Especially 2.3.

jules.09

HSC
shaon0 said:
Nah. Have you seen terry Lee? It's piss easy.Fitzpatrick and Cambridge are the best on combination.
I own all three!

Cambridge is decent, but for a 4u textbook, I was expecting something more? Their 3u textbook delivers the whole spectrum of difficulty. Nonetheless it IS good for mastery of the content. I have Terry Lee sitting there on the shelf but have yet to check out what it offers and as for Fitzpatrick, it was rather easy so far..

A combination's good :)

shaon0

HSC
Trebla said:
No textbook is sufficient enough to help you "master" Extension 2. The tougher exam questions hardly resemble those you find in textbooks.

Textbooks are only good to develop basic skills (and I think Cambridge is best at facilitating that). Anything beyond basic skills requires consultation of past HSC/trial exam questions.
Hey Trebla, do you know anywhere to get past assessment #1 past papers for 4unit and 3unit?

Last edited:

shaon0

HSC
jules.09 said:
I own all three!

Cambridge is decent, but for a 4u textbook, I was expecting something more? Their 3u textbook delivers the whole spectrum of difficulty. Nonetheless it IS good for mastery of the content. I have Terry Lee sitting there on the shelf but have yet to check out what it offers and as for Fitzpatrick, it was rather easy so far..

A combination's good :)
I can't say i have owned Terry Lee because i don't have oit but i'm owning most of Cambridge and Fitzpatrick.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
shaon0 said:
Hey Trebla, do you know anywhere to get past assessment #1 past pares for 4unit and 3unit?
Consult the resources section. I uploaded my half-yearly exam up there a long time ago...:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)