Too slow? (1 Viewer)

-pari-

HSC
N/A
it seems to take me forever to do things.

things that take me a week take other 2 days.

i seem to be too slow with things...including notes, assignments, essays etc
i'm not a "slow writer"

i just take my time with things, and this stresses me out in the end, where i have little time and too much to finish.

any tips?

jest

HSC
i guess you could set a due date for stuff, like writing out notes. or for assessments, set a date a few days earlier than when its really due, to have it done. it could work

Sofstar

HSC
Break the day up to complete something? Say that you'll complete til Q8 and then stop do something else and then come back.

I'm having more of an issue sitting and doing work. After a while i'll get all figetty and then will walk someone in the house and then get distracted by something.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Don't worry about other people. You are your own person, your own student.

Everyone is different as long as you get things done on time then you have nothing to worry about just maybe set some more time aside and organise your time to make sure you use your time the full.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Time management. Try to organise tasks or break things up and know how much you have to get that task done done in. Time tables are good but not for everyone. To do lists are good for keeping things on track and reminders stuck in a place you're likely to visit help too :)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
eh,, i guess ur the type of person who strives under pressure. lol

don't worry, i was liek that as well ;)
i needed pressure and stress to finish stuff... lol

forevaunited

HSC
I am much the same. Ive been doing my legal notes for like 3 days straight now . . probably only about 4 hours in total because i just get distracted by other things and time just seems to fly by.

And even when i actually am doing solid work .. its just really slow. I suppose its because i want to understand everything and if i get stuck on something then i wont move on (major problem in math exercises). However the way i think about it, if im taking that extra time to understand it now, and to do it thoroughly it will benefit me in the long run.

In the end im saying, dont worry about it too much - go at your own pace

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Everyone has their own pace in HSC preparation that they can cope with, and they shouldn't try to copy other people's. Unless of course if you believe that you're method isn't working then you can try using other people's methods of studying/working.

Yeah note taking usually takes me a while, takes up most of my time in studying because I like to use a range of study materials.
Personally, each syllabus dot point takes me in average about either an hour or less to complete, for others it takes 20 minutes for each in average.
- "Identify, outline, define" type ones takes me about 20-30 minutes.
- "Describe, explain" takes about an hour or less
- "Assess, discuss, account" ones take about 1 hour or bit more.

The thing that helps me most is to use an honest timetable, where I can actually commit myself to follow it. It really helps me because that way I can see where I've been lacking in my studies, where abouts I've concentrated on my studies, if I've been lying to myself, if I've been bludging, if I've been on the edge of burning out etc.
Basically you can oversee your progress where you may need to speed up/slow down in areas. It helps to manage your time etc.

ih8skool

HSC
i got da exact same problem. ESPECIALLY IN MATHS

i spend about 2 hours. Look back on my work. Ive only one about 3 questions

Dont rush.. Just go at your own pace. Someone may take 1 hour to do 10 maths questions. You make take 2 hours but u may understand it more than them...

Goodluck with your further studies.. cya round da boards

ih8skool

HSC
yoakim said:
Everyone has their own pace in HSC preparation that they can cope with, and they shouldn't try to copy other people's. Unless of course if you believe that you're method isn't working then you can try using other people's methods of studying/working.

Yeah note taking usually takes me a while, takes up most of my time in studying because I like to use a range of study materials.
Personally, each syllabus dot point takes me in average about either an hour or less to complete, for others it takes 20 minutes for each in average.
- "Identify, outline, define" type ones takes me about 20-30 minutes.
- "Describe, explain" takes about an hour or less
- "Assess, discuss, account" ones take about 1 hour or bit more.

The thing that helps me most is to use an honest timetable, where I can actually commit myself to follow it. It really helps me because that way I can see where I've been lacking in my studies, where abouts I've concentrated on my studies, if I've been lying to myself, if I've been bludging, if I've been on the edge of burning out etc.
Basically you can oversee your progress where you may need to speed up/slow down in areas. It helps to manage your time etc.
how do u make a timetable?

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Before the summer holidays started I created a holiday study planner to see my study progress alongside with my social life = balance between both. To see my progress I circled the boxes that I've actually completed and scribbled out the ones that I havn't completed. At the top each of day I wrote down how many hours I did, and at the end I calculated the average time spent on work/social etc.

I'll be using this same study planner in the other 3 upcoming holidays during year 12 including Stu-VAC.

You can make a similar study timetable as this one for normal school days, but I usually just include 4pm onwards in 30 min intervals.

Last edited:

bos1234

HSC
thats a very nice timetable. Keep up the good work.
You have good organisation skills
:wave:

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
Whoa I agree with bos1234, your timetable is awesome, such an organized person.
Oh, and -pari-, I'm in the same situation as you, it sucks hey, when people seem to be zooming by and you're still doing the beginning of whatever the piece of work is. Aghh
Hrmm someone told me that going at your own pace isnt a good thing, because you might seriously drop behind in the long-run, and its hard to pick up the pace again. It's ... well the opposite of what some of you guys have said, but I duno .. I've found that it works for me ... trying to keep up with your friends.
But yeah, everyone's got their own methods ^^

-pari-

HSC
N/A
late reply but thank yous all for the suggestions.

i guess ur the type of person who strives under pressure. lol
unfortunately so.

i have a prob keeping to my timetables/deadlines :p but i think that could work....:eek:

trying to keep up with your friends
i never thought of that :)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i found timetables never realy worked for me . =p
too stricct,,

what i actually did, was buy a diary thing and write down what subjects i aimed to study for the following week (i.e: planning ahead)

and then when the day comes, i just study the subjects i wrote down.

everyone has their own studying style. that was just mine coz im a lazy bugger to create a timetable. lol

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
unfortunately so.

i have a prob keeping to my timetables/deadlines but i think that could work....
don't worry, u weren't the only one. haha
i strived under pressure as well.

i'd have started assignments a week or 2 before,, and finish it a few nights before it was due. lol

and i couldn't study without stress/pressure. lol
non-exam periods i was constantly on teh comp. XD

zangetsu.xo

BANGSAT LOOO
anywhere with a bowl of rice and chopsticks in han
HSC
shinji said:
i found timetables never realy worked for me . =p
too stricct,,

what i actually did, was buy a diary thing and write down what subjects i aimed to study for the following week (i.e: planning ahead)

and then when the day comes, i just study the subjects i wrote down.

everyone has their own studying style. that was just mine coz im a lazy bugger to create a timetable. lol
i do that too!!!
i can't live without my diary!!

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
Hi pari:wave:

I'm slow worker too that strives under pressure...
Who cares if ur a bit slower than everywhen else... would you rather work faster and produce something of poor quality...

e.g. English essays take me a really long time when I first write them... my mind has to be directed towars it fully and I actually have to "feel" like writing... if I don't ...i wont produce my best. I like working slow and hard on them the first time, rather than speeding through them to hand them in only to find the teacher massively editing it...so i have to go back.

My school friends are faster than me and i sumtimes I get nervous when they seem to have "everything done"... its good to keep up with them but don't let it get to... understand that your unique and have your own methods that work for u.

You'll do great!

to going slow! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)