• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Too young for Uni (1 Viewer)

WaydesSexcBlond

HSC
Hey all

I finish Year 12 when I'm 16, and was planning on going to Uni the following year, which means I'll be 16 when I start Uni. I was wondering if that was too young, considering most people start arouns 18, and also wondering about gap years. I know a lot of people who have taken gap years before going to uni, whether to work and save up money, travel, or just over the studying scene, and majority don't end up going to uni. Has anyone taken a gap year? And is 16 too young to be starting Uni?

Thanks

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hmm, I suppose it's all about whether you're socially ready to go to university. That's about it, really. Are you?

WaydesSexcBlond

HSC
At the moment I'm doing 6 subjects [Maths, English, Legal Studies, Business Communication & Technology, Business Organisation & Management & Dance] as well as a Hospitality / Bartending / Restaurant Services course, as well as soccer 5 nights a week and in a relationship, so I think by the end of the year i will be over the whole studying thing. If i'm interested then there'd be no problem, but I don't want to be the only young one there. The University in the area is reasonably new, so there's not really many students anyway.

Apparently I'm really mature for my age, and get along well with older people, but I need some 'younger' interaction too.

Hmm.. I don't know.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the problem you're likely to find is that your friends will go out to over 18 places and you'll have a while before you can go out with them.
if you like the idea of leaving uni at 19 though then go.

WaydesSexcBlond

HSC
Yea, thats the bonus. I'll be finishing Uni at the age a lot of people are starting which will give me quite a head start.
Another option i was considering was working next yr, and doing the course part-time externally, which would let me know whether i wanted to change into it full time the following year, or If i wanted to transfer to a bigger University in Brissy.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
I was 17 for half of my first year of uni and it was ... not that bad I guess.

The only thing you need to think about is whether or not you're socially mature enough for it and if you're up for studying right after you finish yr12.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Jesus. You're leaving uni at 19, which is when others start uni.

Way to have your foot in the door.

I'll say who gives a crap. Just go do uni. I skipped a year, so I wasn't 18 until later in my first year, and it was okay.

Have a gap year if you want, and no, just because you have a gap year doesn't mean you're less likely to want to go to uni. My parents made up that myth for me. I know a lot of people who have taken gap years at my university, and they're fine.

Remember that 4 months off after Year 12 is a big holiday though.

WaydesSexcBlond

HSC
=] Thanks guys

Now I've jus gotta decide..
1] Which course
2] Which uni

Ive been plannin on doing a double degree of Business and Law, which there are a few options avaiable, but for that [being in QLD] I need an OP 2 to go Uni in brissy.
I've had 16 different teachers so far since Yr 11, which has messed up my marks quite a lot, so I am doubting that high of an OP.
The Uni in the area where I am, are starting law in '08 which means I can do my degree here, and stay at home with my mummy, lol.
The only thing, I don't want to be a guinea pig.

The other dilemma, is my Boyfriend is moving back to Brissy soon, this weekend I think, so I can move back with him after I finish Yr 12, but that means I'll be 4 hours away from my family. Well, my mum in particular.

Its so confusing. =/

Krieg

HSC
4 hours really isn't that far away. Personally I'd probably try my hardest and go to the best Uni I can. Go to uni next year finish when your 19 (20 if your doing a combined degree) and then do a gap year if you want.

HSC
N/A
You might want to go to TAFE first as its much more like School and it will get you some academic exemptions

poppop

HSC
N/A
Gap years are so common. Don't worry~

MANY people do take a year off after the HSC to go travelling around the world, work, etc. My sister did too, and she was surprised at how many else were 19 in first year.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
WaydesSexcBlond said:
=]

The other dilemma, is my Boyfriend is moving back to Brissy soon, this weekend I think, so I can move back with him after I finish Yr 12, but that means I'll be 4 hours away from my family. Well, my mum in particular.

Its so confusing. =/
ahhh..
not that i can really speak..
but i probably wouldnt go moving and making such rash decisions dependant on ur high school bf.. [ie choosing ur uni on his choices etc..]
as people say... ur highschool friends dont last forever..
and i take it that high shcool bfs are the same???

just keep it in mind :) [buti really dont know ur relationshipor anything..]

T

Testpilot

Hmm then there's this guy that's doing electrical in my maths tute that came across like you, as in personalities seemed the same.

HSC
Testpilot said:
Hmm then there's this guy that's doing electrical in my maths tute that came across like you, as in personalities seemed the same.
What do you mean by that?

Oh and I've got no idea who you're talking about, most of the people I talk to do math141, and the ones i do know who do math187 dont do tutes then.

T

Testpilot

When I met him I just thought of you, don't really know why because I've never met you, but he just seemed like the kind of person who would make posts like you do (i.e. serious advice etc)

Last edited by a moderator:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
LottoX said:
I'm 17, and I turn 18 laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate this year. I'm not finding anything too bad at uni...
haha did you skip a year or something?
but then again, if you can handle the pressures of uni at a young ag, then i dont see why you cant start at 16-17

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
She's doing better than me then :p

I'm in uni & always get told how I look too young to be there. Get asked for ID at 15+ movies, but a plus is getting child tickets everywhere I guess. Saves me a whole bunch of money!

There's a girl I met at uni who's not in my course but is only just 16, she's one of those smart cookies and skipped ahead. I don't really think there's much of an age difference between 16, 17, 18, 19 etc anyway apart from the legal to go into clubs etc. But not all 18+ year olds just go to clubs cos its not for everyone, I don't go at all and neither do heaps of my friends. So you wouldn't be a loner on the weekends or anything :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)