Top 10 Easiest HSC Subjects (1 Viewer)

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
You can't judge some subjects to be easier than others. Each subjects has its own nuances and skills. Stop projecting a wrong opinion and everyone has different skills and abilities and its what they think what hard and what's not.
Some nuances and skills are easier to learn than others (subjectively). In that regard I believe you can rank subjects on difficulty.

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
My other post about the top 10 hardest subjects was quite successful, so im just gonna milk the same idea, but on the other side of the spectrum. I havent taken any of these subjects on this list so i have no clue, so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt. Anyways heres my top 10 eaisest hsc subjects:
1. Math Standard/Advanced
2. Dance
3. Cafs
4. Visual arts
5. Industrial technology
6. Drama
7. Music
8. food tech
9. PDHPE
10. Business
Pls visual arts was one of the hardest subjects I did, it took up an insaaaane amount of time 😭

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
This feels more of a lowest scaling subjects list rather than hardest lol, I doubt anyone ranking it has done these subjects and its just more of a guess of their difficulty - thought I wouldn't debate that these subjects are harder than say maths ext or physics but I would say stuff like Drama, Visual Arts is time consuming because you would need to do so much rehearsals or practices/collages respectively. I've seen some of the Year 12 Drama and Visual classes and they seem hectic and time consuming in their own way; - so it would be unjustified to consider them easy. I feel like these subjects demand skill in their own right that that can't be compared to the normal stream of HSC subjects. You could be really good at conventional examinations but at the other hand suck at public stage performances or speeches so its pretty difficult in that way to compare subjects which don't really share same type of examinations/skills.

I think someone whose doing humanities/arts could give a better take on this, or even better, someone doing maths/arts combo so they can compare each subject. (my opinion btw, not saying someone's right or wrong, just want to give another perspective for the sake of argument)

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
whys that?
Standard English is actually quite difficult. Many people cannot achieve the band 6.
It is *aligned* in such a way that advanced band 6 = standard band 6 in terms of English capability. Very very few standard students can show a band 6 advanced level mastery, so very few are awarded band 6s.

This means that adv and standard scale *exactly* the same (as intended). It is just more difficult to get high marks in standard (although one can be average quite easily).

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Doesn’t English advanced scale better?
I'm pretty sure they scale equally. It's just the number of people that are allowed to enter the bracket to be scaled upwards is less in standard then advanced. I actually dunno if this is correct or not, just going based on preconceptions and quickoats definition. @idkkdi to clarify.

Last edited:

osciggyz

HSC
You can't judge some subjects to be easier than others. Each subjects has its own nuances and skills. Stop projecting a wrong opinion and everyone has different skills and abilities and its what they think what hard and what's not.
As i stated, i havent taken any of these subjects, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Also, there is no wrong opinion, hence why everyone has their own.

sab13562

HSC
It is *aligned* in such a way that advanced band 6 = standard band 6 in terms of English capability. Very very few standard students can show a band 6 advanced level mastery, so very few are awarded band 6s.

This means that adv and standard scale *exactly* the same (as intended). It is just more difficult to get high marks in standard (although one can be average quite easily).
Last years reports stated that only 1% of standard students achieved band 6 while 13% of advanced achieved band 6. Yikes!

idkkdi

HSC
I'm pretty sure they scale equally. It's just the number of people that are allowed to enter the bracket to be scaled upwards is less in standard then advanced. I actually dunno if this is correct or not, just going based on preconceptions and quickoats definition. @idkkdi to clarify.
No one gets scaled upwards in most subjects, barring like two subjects.

You always get scaled down.

Alignment is the supposed upwards.
Alignment for eng adv, and eng standard is different. It's all standardised by comparing common module scores of eng adv vs eng standard, iirc.
They try to predict what an eng adv student would score on eng standard and what an eng standard person would score on eng adv based on the distribution of common module scores.

If we were to compare the aligned and scaled scores, an aligned 90 in eng std, should have the same scaled score as an aligned 90 in eng adv, pretty sure.

Last edited:

quickoats

HSC
No one gets scaled upwards in most subjects, barring like two subjects.

You always get scaled down.

Alignment is the supposed upwards.
Alignment for eng adv, and eng standard is different. It's all standardised by comparing common module scores of eng adv vs eng standard, iirc.
They try to predict what an eng adv student would score on eng standard and what an eng standard person would score on eng adv based on the distribution of common module scores.

If we were to compare the aligned and scaled scores, an aligned 90 in eng std, should have the same scaled score as an aligned 90 in eng adv, pretty sure.
This.

Alignment is based on standards. Band 6 doesn't mean 90+, rather, it's a qualitative set of outcomes like "Effectively demonstrates....".
You may not need a 90+ to demonstrate such outcomes. If someone in advanced successfully gives the borderline scrape band 6 vibe, whilst only scooping up 82 marks, they'll align the 82 to 90. Someone in standard would need to get 90 (or just below) to align to 90 (very few achieve this).

But once you get the score on your HSC transcript, an identical score in standard and advanced will give the same boost to your atar i.e. swapping a 90 in standard and a 90 in advanced will not change your ATAR.

Why do this? Why not make advance scale more than standard to offset this confusion? Standard and Advanced are designed to be the benchmark for scaling all other subjects for all students in the HSC, so it makes sense for them to be treated as one course.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably depends on the Syllabuses to.

Look at early 2000s papers Maths in Society and Business seemed to be really simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)