• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Top 200 ranked Universities in the world (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
UWS is relatively new, so I don't see why you should try and compare it to established universities, it doesn't work like that.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Its all research? unless ure in your post-grad research degree e.g PhD and Masters by research it actualli doesnt matter..
cos most ppl at my uni who graduate and want to do research... are now in melbourne..

UWS' undergrad degrees are just as good.. and the teaching is fine.. just they spend more time on teachin than research its a good thing.. researchers arent always the best tutors ..

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I've been to both open days, and usyd is like some old creepy hoggwarts building.
UWS seems just as good, i don't know what u random academic nerds are bitching about....

ar5ena1

HSC
USYD mauls anything else in australia in terms of rep and standard so students. UOW and UWS ha!

budj

HSC
ANU kicks ass. I went to its open day, and also went to Usyd and UNSW. Both were shit.

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
it's only because you can't understand each other

(they don't use 'yous')

Santaslayer, when i saw the point form of that post of yours, i didn't bother reading it. All I can say is that there's a 16 page article that I posted the link to on the first page (in my 2nd post). Read it. Learn from it. Enjoy.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
you've gotta realise that they are ranked by the number of research citings. It's the professors/researchers at those unis that put the uni's at those ranks
A high rank doesn't mean the students are in for something good and a bad rank doesn't mean the uni is shit. Just that their researchers aren't cited in papers or research journals as much, or at all.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
If i had to chhose to go to one of the "prestigious" uni's, it would be fucken UNSW..all USYD ppl here seem like dicks
Hey, there are nice ppl at usyd too!

Generator

HSC
N/A
But it's fun teasing those who are stuck in the west.

santaslayer

HSC
inasero said:
i mean, yeah it has awards but thats mainly in postgraduate research...otherwise it sucks.

You don't see me harping on about my uni now do you?

I'm sorry if it's offensive but I think you need to accept not only credit, but criticism where it's due.
1) Eh...quite the oppisite inasero. :) Whereas other ''prestigious'' universities have gained worldwide postgraduate (and higher levels) of recognition, UoW has only really gained acknowledgement in undergrad courses.
That being said, UoW has recieved a 5 star rating for its intensive research this year in the 2005 Good Unis Guide-mainly due to commerce)

2) That's because there's nothing to harp about. :p....(im only joking...dont take it too serial...)

3) The only criticism I'm getting is from you. :p

santaslayer

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
Its all research? unless ure in your post-grad research degree e.g PhD and Masters by research it actualli doesnt matter..
cos most ppl at my uni who graduate and want to do research... are now in melbourne..
Which was exactly my point. Thank you. :)

golfstick said:
Santaslayer, when i saw the point form of that post of yours, i didn't bother reading it. All I can say is that there's a 16 page article that I posted the link to on the first page (in my 2nd post). Read it. Learn from it. Enjoy.
SantaSlayer: 1
golfstick: 0

:p

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Yes, I'm from the Penrith area, but I'm not going to spend my life stuck out near the smog hole known as the Nepean Valley.

I'm sure that UWS is a great university, but that doesn't change the fact that as a grade we were generally told that we could do much better (with respect to resources and networking). Whether that seems fair or not... Well, we have already covered that issue long ago.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm from penrith.
I'm pretty sure i'll get the uai to get into the course(s) i chose at usyd... but i dunno, people from usyd seem like total dicks.

santaslayer

HSC
The thing that gets to me is that some people in this forum do ''shit'' courses which require ''shit'' UAIs (@ ''better unis) but are actually attempting to bag people out who do ''better'' courses'' at universities with marginal demand in more isolated areas. (or lesser population).

NOTE: ''shit'' and ''better'' are both subjective. What they mean is purely based on one's interpretation. :p

I'm not angry about it. I actually find it rather amusing. :p

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Funny stuff, santaslayer. I did not know that a UAI was a measure of a course's worth, or that a person could be laughed at for taking such a 'shit' degree path.

Generator

HSC
N/A
There was one... Wasn't it known as golf course management or something? :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
It was one of Nelson's classic examples back when he was first pushing for the partial deregulation of the tertiary education sector. I can't remember much beyond that, sadly. It seemed like such an interesting course, too.

santaslayer

HSC
open to all interpretation...:p

was just trying to move the topic to something else...
no one's answered my questions so I though id change the mood...

oh yeah, and i refuse to read the article...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)