• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Top 200 ranked Universities in the world (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Hmm, that's why my classes on main campus are taught by graduates of universities like UWS, and UQ. The new Senior Lecturer in Sound Recording and Music Technology at the Con? Graduate of UWS Music. Here's something that might be hard for you to believe, UWS actually has a BETTER music technology course than USYD.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
because dont you want the lecturers to teach you are a) top of their field in the country b) are the people whose journal articles you are actually studying
No because there are good research professors and then there are good teaching professors. I have had highly noted professors teaching subjects which they were technically brilliant at but their delivery lacked an understanding of how to teach the subject matter.

Universities are usually split into research or teaching facets with one usually being stronger than the other. Just because you may have good researchers does not mean you have good lecturers.

You will notice this if you ever get a replacement professor at last moments notice who is just there to do research but they force him to take on teaching because someone else has transferred out.

Stay in uni a bit longer and you will see these differences. Most First and Second year lecturers are there for teaching and until you hit 3rd year and above you realise just how low on the rung of priorities in higher education you really are. It doesn't matter which uni you attend, it's a fact of the system worldwide.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Another generalistion... I was lucky to have a number of highly respected academics teaching throughout my first and second year... It's all course specific, and we should all be well aware of that by now.

Edit: I did see the 'most' in the final paragraph.

Last edited:

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Also depends what you consider highly respected I guess. In my experience the higher you go in the pay scale the higher your level of students.

Any uni that devotes a large part of their high level staff to low level subjects is mismanaging their resources. While I have had the occassional lecturer in first and second year that wrote the book etc and almost all had or were working for their PhD/wrote papers and so on this is normal work for an academic and most were on the lecturer/associate lecturer level of the scale not professor.

Edit: It might sound a bit negative so let me clarify. I don't think any university is willing to put too many of its people earning 90-120 grand a year into a large and low group level where drop outs are a certainty and a large amount of supervision and contact is required. Especially when the expertise of those people could be better used in furthering the knowledge of remaining later year students and promoting the University in public at conferences or via extensive research and so on.
Now i'm not saying that Professors would never take a lower class, sometimes it suits their research well to be able to just jump in and do some introductory level subjects. However to infer that any university has such a large number of people at that high level that they need to be teaching low level classes is simply incorrect.
Note I am saying anything above a senior lecturer you will not likely see in your first 2 years at University.
I agree chances are an academic might wish to take something easy for a semester or so and get back into the classroom in that way but the University would not allow it for very long, research output is good currency in academia.
http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/personnel/rem/acad05_04.htm

Last edited:

ChrisE

HSC
i always thought it was irrelevant where you go to university as long as you possess the qualifications necessary for the job. and i thought that some of these qualifications are things that no university can teach such as work ethic, team work, people skills etc. if i was an employer, i wouldnt care what uni an applicant went to, as long as they have the relevant degree and the right personal qualities required.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It's a subject I give a shit about, and one of the many subjects at the University of Sydney where it isn't the best. Every time you insult another university, you actually insult USYD, since USYD is Not in competition with other universities. It has its strengths, and its weaknesses, like every other uni in the country, and when you say that USYD is the best, you completely miss the point of higher education in this country.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ChrisE said:
i always thought it was irrelevant where you go to university as long as you possess the qualifications necessary for the job. and i thought that some of these qualifications are things that no university can teach such as work ethic, team work, people skills etc. if i was an employer, i wouldnt care what uni an applicant went to, as long as they have the relevant degree and the right personal qualities required.
yes thats true..
but nowadays.. its changed uni is no longer about higher learning its bout gettin a job sadly.. i hav 18 pts mandatory comm skills too .. so they can try and teach things lik that?

in med, melb uni undergrads about 2% go onto post-grad research.. and about 56% of UNSW goto research.. adel is only 18%.. and yet melb and adel are the 1st and 3rd oldest med schools (source: good unis guide 04)
u cant generalise a uni just based on stats..n i cant talk about the UWS economics school.. so i wont :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Phanatical said:
It's a subject I give a shit about, and one of the many subjects at the University of Sydney where it isn't the best. Every time you insult another university, you actually insult USYD, since USYD is Not in competition with other universities. It has its strengths, and its weaknesses, like every other uni in the country, and when you say that USYD is the best, you completely miss the point of higher education in this country.
i totally agree :) we aint in the states..
i dun dress up adel uni as the worlds best.. its ok
dun make it sumfing it aint.. truth is Adel needs to spend more in research.. alot more..
//edit: how is economics a science?

santaslayer

HSC
melbournian said:
Flinders is a hell of a lot better than UoW
I've been to Flinders quite a few times, as my brother goes there (in fact I stayed overnight there 5 weekends ago). Look at the number of journals that Flinders publishes.
Tell me when you've been to both universities. :p

I can give you a whole thesis on the flaws of particular USYD's degrees. What are you basing your comment on? A particular degree, or the whole uni in general. If it's the whole uni in general then you've lost already. If you're basing it on the number of journals it publishes then you would most definitley be in the position to talk.......after you get do a higher research degree...:p

Assasinator_2

HSC
The thing i never really understood with university wars was that people try to say their uni is the best in *EVERY* field.

For example, in brisbane, if you want to do electrical engineernig, you go to QUT (despite its not being listed there), as their areospace avionics is very very good. If you want to do mechanical engineering, you go to UQ, as they have the wind/shock tunnels, and are by far and away the best qld uni as far as mechanical engineering goes.

Sure, a uni may be the best in austrlaia in a couple of fields, but it's never going to be the best at *EVERYTHING*

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
UWS has an industry relevent focus, and specilises in degrees that other uni's may not cover.
i for one can say UWS kicks ass in Space LAW :D

santaslayer

HSC
Assasinator_2 said:
The thing i never really understood with university wars was that people try to say their uni is the best in *EVERY* field.

For example, in brisbane, if you want to do electrical engineernig, you go to QUT (despite its not being listed there), as their areospace avionics is very very good. If you want to do mechanical engineering, you go to UQ, as they have the wind/shock tunnels, and are by far and away the best qld uni as far as mechanical engineering goes.

Sure, a uni may be the best in austrlaia in a couple of fields, but it's never going to be the best at *EVERYTHING*
EXACTLY.

*looks at melbournian* :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
I think that it is time for us all to read through santaslayer's guide to 'shit' degrees... Well?

Generator

HSC
N/A
I think that we should all realise that he is stirring the pot.

asdf

HSC
One day you'll grow up and realise how dumb and pathetic you looked when arguing over which uni is the best...or pimping your uni in forums and sigs as if their paying you to do it (remember, unless your the next stephen hawkings, your uni wont give a flying fuck about you).

Generator

HSC
N/A
The point of the standard signature (course and uni) is to merely let others know that we are here to help if necessary.

asdf

HSC
Generator said:
The point of the standard signature (course and uni) is to merely let others know that we are here to help if necessary.
No im talking about the "other" signitures....

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
asdf said:
One day you'll grow up and realise how dumb and pathetic you looked when arguing over which uni is the best...or pimping your uni in forums and sigs as if their paying you to do it (remember, unless your the next stephen hawkings, your uni wont give a flying fuck about you).
They will care enough to send you letters to beg you to contribute to the alumni foundation or to help fund some new building.

I keep my sig uni free for a reason, it really doesn't matter once you have your papers :) But I agree leaving it in there while doing something others might gives them some reference if they need help or opinions. Having huge shrines worshipping the place in your sig is a bit much though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)