• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Top 200 ranked Universities in the world (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Why is it that a degree's worth is largely determined by it's future career prospects? That's hardly the only point of a tertiary education.

Edit: That degree is far from being as marginal as many of you believe, too.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Most people go to uni to get a job, a lot go because they're academics and just want to learn... but i'd say the majority are looking to gain extra skills for their future careers.

The worth of Bachelor degree's i'd say ARE largely determined by their future career prospects.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
definately not, all the richest people i know left in year 10... although they are pretty old so perhaps times have changed.
Anyway they own like realestate companies and have multi-million dollar boats that they drive off their houses on sydney harbour, i don't think u need a degree to get a good job or to make alot of money however i think you do become a smarter person... at least i hope so :(

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
yea well it depends what you're into...
I could of finished in year 10, been a manager for dad and ended up taking over his business and making alot more money than i think i ever will in architecture or design (unless i become some genius or something). However i'm not interested in that, in the end i think you should just seek what you're interested in... and if it is working a boring job but making shitloads then go for it.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
Hahhaa

One of my tutors (the one for AUstralian Foreign and Defence Policy) was a former very senior DFAT and subsequentally Dept of PM and Cabinet offical.

UWS and connetions hahaha.....maybe connections to the local maccas franchise
And where did that guy get his degree from? I notice reading the Usyd staff profiles not a lot of them actually did much at Usyd before working there even though they are highly respected.

Plus i'd like an answer on how much you think you will make 1-5 years out of uni. Just curious whether you don't value your degree much or whether you are living in a make believe world.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
leftrightout has done every single degree lol
Not yet but i'm slowly getting there. The postgrad world is a lot easier than the undergrad one, I get a higher qualification in a third of the time. It's great.

I do have a hankering to go back to uni for a holiday and do a BA and a PhD at the same time. Not sure how much i'd enjoy the paycut though.

Curtin has a nice Masters in Internet Studies, that might be the one i'll be doing next year depending how they respond to my enquiries.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
Not yet but i'm slowly getting there. The postgrad world is a lot easier than the undergrad one, I get a higher qualification in a third of the time. It's great.

I do have a hankering to go back to uni for a holiday and do a BA and a PhD at the same time. Not sure how much i'd enjoy the paycut though.

Curtin has a nice Masters in Internet Studies, that might be the one i'll be doing next year depending how they respond to my enquiries.
jeez dood why don't u get a job already??

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
Usyd actually....ROLLED!
Care to give a name? The lecturer for your unit is not listed in the timetable, which usually means that when setting it up they had no one to teach it and he was pulled in at last minute.

Take the chair of Political Economy for example, nothing there at Usyd at all, and he won a teaching award last year, and he teaches one introductory class which has to be a nice manageable load for him to continue his research.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
Frank Stillwell is chair of Political Economy - he isn't Australian, quite a logical reason.
Still he didn't do it at Usyd, same with the BA tutor :D

My point is that Usyd is not the be all and end all when it comes to a university education :)

hmm half an hour to kill before a teleconference, what to do what to do.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
USYD is an excellent learning institution, but it, like any other institution has its flaws. What it has that other universities don't have is a long and distinguished tradition. But tradition can only go so far - the university has a long way to go to catch up to UTS in many areas of study, and UNSW in others.

UTS has a great advantage over USYD in that pretty much the entire building is wireless ready. UNSW also have an excellent wireless network, and only in the last couple months is USYD rolling out an (unwieldy) wireless network for students to access. This unwillingness to adapt to new learning methods is a disadvantage in an ever-changing university system.

UTS also has an industry placement focus (as does UWS), which many industries value over a USYD degree, thereby making UTS and UWS degrees more valuable than a USYD degree in certain areas of study.

Even my campus, the Sydney Conservatorium of Music has a number of outdated teaching ideas, and while it may well be the most beautiful music school in the world, it has a lot to live up to in terms of music tuition. It runs one of the best Composition units in the country, but Music Technology, and in fact anything contemporary music related (except Composition) is lacking in comparison to the contemporary performance school at UWS.

These comparisons can be made about many of the subjects taught at USYD. Some of the people on this particular board believe that old and distinguished buildings = good university. Sure USYD may be the most prestigious, but the Best university? That's debatable, and the fact is that there probably isn't even a right answer.

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Didn't I just mention that a UWS graduate was appointed a Senior Lecturer in Music Technology here? I've had various UWS-graduate lecturers, and they've always been very good in what they study. They're obviously good enough for USYD.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Filthy scum.... chances are i'm gunna beat ur uai, chances are i'm gunna get into a 'better' university course than you, i can't wait till i do so i can laugh at the idiots who scored lower than me like you. :rolleyes:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Melbournian i challenge u to manage to get 23 western sydney girls to lick the inside of a trash can for $5 ! i don't think u could do it, at least not in 1 hour!

evil99

HSC
melbournian, .... REALLY A "funny" cunt, crown

;) , I think melbournian is a peasant,
natster, dont waste ur energy to argue with a peasant.

MoNNiE

HSC
sersly WHO cares if one university is better then another!
in the end it goes to WHO gets the jobs.. Not where u got ur university degree or whatever from..
its whether a person is capable of applying whatever knowledge required by the employer..

who gives a flying puck about over all ranking of the university.. dudes/dudettes it ultimately comes down to how much input YOU put into your education your going to get out from it, not what university you go to..

who cares if u have celb lecturers.. ..some of those guys can be utterly boring others, are pretty good

neways.. my main point is..stfu about university rankings...i don't care if u go to usyd or uws -- if i were an employer I’d be looking for whether ur component doing the job!

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
hey melbie i was interested in your thoughts on my predicament, heres my thread ... or are you only available for USyd advertisement & UWS bashing at the moment? :)

incidentally melbie i find some of your comments slightly amusing given youre from victoria ... but whatever.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
melbournian said:
natstar, charming girl you are. Really classy. But hey, what can you expect from a western suburbs tart.
natstar said:
Anyway Im not from the western Suburbs.
No, but I am, and so are a lot of USYD lecturers. I regularly catch the train in to uni with the Chair of my unit, who lives in the Western Suburbs. Most of my friends live in the western suburbs. People who live in the western suburbs are not of a lower class to yourself, melbournian. At least we have respect for others, something you obviously lack.

Didn't you realise that USYD is full of students who live in the sticks, and the dirt beyond the sticks? The overwhelming majority of students at USYD hail from the Western Suburbs and regional areas like Dubbo, and attended the same public schools you thrive on attacking. Most of the people who live on campus? They come from the west.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I hope you have some reallly close connections to get whichever job you want (ie, caring relatives), because you seem like a jerk and no employer i know employs jerks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)