• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Top 200 ranked Universities in the world (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Sorry Leftrightout.....

As ive said UWS is very industry relevent becuase placement is a part of many of the courses, particulary in the agricultural, science and health science and tourism/hospitality courses.
A lot of unis are moving into the vocational side of things encroaching on TAFE. TAFEs are returning the favour by offering higher education options now, and schools are moving into vocational education as well. The sectors are blending together, I only wish they were this blended when I was at HS, the amount of options nowadays would have made it easier on me.

I'm just curious how much he thinks it will influence his first pay packet.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
65k is a shitload.....
Besides it's not about how much you study, it's about how skillful you are... if you become a highly skilled person, can do all these things in an organisation that no one else can then you'll end up being highly paid...

Anyway to me 65k is highly paid if you're doing what you love, so i dunno what your problem is.
realli?
hmm u mean lik out of a standard 4 yr course?

cos id be mildly pleased but not lik super happy wit 65K considering i spend 3 yrs more at uni.. than BComm students

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
you're doing med tho.. different courses will lead to different sallaries..

I believe for heaps of people... like at least 80% of people leaving uni in the first year they'll be making only just 65k...

edit: Wow i'm very, very wrong...

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yer tru.. but i think 65K atm is a lil high cos dentist are gettin 55k per year as the highest income earners

whoa.. wheres that from?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
And only because he went to the best high school in the country, and the best university in the country, and everybody is So desperate to hire somebody who went to the best high school and the best university in the country.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
whoa.. wheres that from?
There are lots of websites with that kind of info this is one of the main ones with links to other statistics. Depending on who compiled the data you will get a lot of variation on the theme, Universities will do their own studies to show that their graduates earn more than others in the same field :)
http://www.gradlink.edu.au

But like I said i'm not interested in government figures that i've seen many times before.

Edit: I don't like proof reading, fixed spelling

Last edited:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Well it's been a long time since i've posted. I didn't know these boards were still around.

Certain people here seem to emphasise what uni they go to, which uni has the better resources etc. People haven't stopped to think that it's not what uni or degree that you do, but it's what you do with your degree once you've obtained it.

For example, I know people who have graduated with commerce or economics degrees from what would be regarded as "prestigious" unis and they're doing something totally unrelated to their major areas of study (even though i'd consider them as having very strong connections). Likewise, i know people who've succeeded without having strong connections.

On the topic of connections, they won't help if you don't have a personality that gets along with the people you work with in the "real world". In the end, you just become the recipient of people's bitching and the victim of office politics.

Everyone should just get over this issue about what uni is better. All uni's have their strengths and weaknesses - even prestigious unis such as USYD and UNSW have their weaknesses.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Good post Sarah

How are exams? Hope they all go well, I have two more :)
See you in the hols

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
melbournian said:
I hate to tell you girly, that is how you get jobs. By building connections so people know about your ability. I hate to ruin your holiday on jupiter, but most jobs are not advertised.
Not-That-Bright said:
I hate to do it but i agree with melbournian..
The best, easiest way to get a good job and get a great career going is to get out there and make sure people know about you, get connections into the industry that you're planning on working in. ESPECIALLY if you're going into a highly skilled job..
unfortunately and i hate to do it as well but shock horror, i agree with melbournian as well. it's true. connections make getting a job that much easier. and when everyone is out getting connections there aren't many jobs left for the others.

B

Bambul

iambored said:
unfortunately and i hate to do it as well but shock horror, i agree with melbournian as well. it's true. connections make getting a job that much easier. and when everyone is out getting connections there aren't many jobs left for the others.
I have been rejected for every job I've applied for (which has instilled a desire for me to want to stay at uni for as long as possible :)). The only jobs I've ever gotten have been through connections - people asking me if I wanted the job. So I would have to agree with it making it easier. Connections aren't everything, but they make things a lot easier.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
natstar said:
I'd feel better if I knew that the job I got was because I went out and got in myself, without having to rely on other people and so called "connections".
get a job in demand.. then no matter how poorly u think u do its hard for them to find someone to replace u lolz

thanks go out to the RACS for limiting surgeons numbers and the medical schools for doing the same to medical students.. now i can be glad ill definately get a job while there is a severe shortage *rolleyes*

ChrisE

HSC
Sarah said:
On the topic of connections, they won't help if you don't have a personality that gets along with the people you work with in the "real world". In the end, you just become the recipient of people's bitching and the victim of office politics.
i know some people on this forum that fall into that personality category. nobody likes a person who believes they are superior to everyone else. if i could quantify the amount of 'im better than you' personalities on this site, it would be the largest number ever calculated. many of you need to get off your high horse and stop putting others down for what uni they attend and thinking that your worth as a person is greater because you attend a certain uni.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
"Connections" are not only made at Usyd and they are not all made in the classes you attend. Sometimes the weirdest networks can get you work. I once had a decent contract to design a website because my High School teachers wife worked in an office with someone else who had a husband who worked at the place requiring the website.

Only a small number of people (1 maybe 2) in this thread are arguing that a uni attended by another person is superior to another in every field.

Bambul it depends what jobs you were applying for. In IT for example you would find it hard to get a senior network engineer position without a degree/advanced diploma, several years of experience and connections. IT has been a silly industry, people putting in advertising for "junior" positions and requiring 3 years experience + degree and only willing to pay $40k, yet they still get hundreds of applications from unemployed techs.

According to the gradlink site I made more first year out than a large number of graduating dentists. Everyone should aim to be an extreme outlier not an average statistic :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hehe.. thats realli good..
doctors are still paid less and sued more *sigh* and its not being the average ... its called an enterprise agreement wit the state.. but if u pull the minimum overtime as a doctor or dent its about another 10-30k .. still more hours..:(

my brother got his job thru a contact.. when he was a casual at coles .. a co-worker asked wat he studied then it just happened to be that her husband was a manager of a firm that was hiring for his industry.. he got the job before the ad hit seek.com.. :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I once applied and got the job of assistant manager at a small dick smith using the different names of my dad's company and different managers of it as references.

edit: Don't forget UWS's connections to organised crime.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
And what does him being that get you?
What natstar was explaining is that her tutors work in the field in the industry, therefor they could assist her to learn about the industry or get a job with some company in the industry if she was interested.

What you brought up, is someone experienced in the field however who could not help you to get a job in any way shape or form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)