Top Achievers in Course List (1 Viewer)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Ruse also doesn't have subjects like legal because it's deemed "low-scaling" so take that into consideration too.
They have subjects like agriculture, legal and business though which grammar doesnt have.

That said trying to figure out who did based on this list etc is a bit pointless when the school ranking system rates topping the state in Mathematics Extension 1 and getting a 90 in General Maths as the same since its just on % of band 6 scripts.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Thanks Realise & Fizzy. I'll take the average of the 2.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
How about weighted average, weight mine 100%

I checked the BoS statistics 1382 students in total

Marks are a lot higher this year.

Last year top mark was either 97 or 98, this year 4 students got 99 or 100 and 7 more got 97 or 98

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I'm curious about the number for so many of the other exotic course like: Khmer Continuers, Aboriginal Studies, Hebrew Advanced(?) etc. Where can one find the figures?

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
All SR for EE2 are people with 50 :/ The nominations have already come out, I got mailed one a while back (I was overseas at the time)
AFAIK Showcase positions go to 50/50s only. Sorry!
I know someone who was selected for the showcase last year with 49/50 and she received her nomination sometime around Dec-January... strange

Edit:

Found a link

"School staff, parents and students are reminded that nomination for an HSC showcase does not indicate a particular mark for the student’s major work or performance.

OnSTAGE, ENCORE and Callback students will be advised of their nomination prior to the written exams to allow copyright clearance to begin as early as possible.

vs.

Young Writers Showcase: Nominated students will be advised shortly after students receive their HSC results."

Source: http://news.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/index.cfm/2012/9/10/HSC-showcase-nominations-2012-update

then again, maybe you got yours early because you topped

Last edited:

Hombad

HSC
AFAIK Showcase positions go to 50/50s only. Sorry!
This simply isn't true. If you were to read any of the editions of the Showcase fully, you would discover a number of entries of questionable quality (hell, I'd be surprised if some even got above 45/50).

The statement that the BoS makes about nominations for/inclusions within the various showcases NOT being indicative of a student's mark is actually true. You see, with the showcase, there is a great deal of political correctness; one must make sure that it is comprised of an 'equal' number of students from rural and urban areas, from private and public schools, of both genders, of varying form and subject matter etc. It is rare for all of the 50/50s to be distributed in such a way across these many demographics...

But, yes, often you do see a few of the SR's in the showcase (simply because of their quality and originality).

Hombad

HSC
I know someone who was selected for the showcase last year with 49/50 and she received her nomination sometime around Dec-January... strange

then again, maybe you got yours early because you topped
Maybe your friend got hers late due to an error in delivery - you may still get the good news if that were the case! Out of curiosity, what was your major work about (depending on its subject matter you could guess whether the BoS would be interested)?

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
Maybe your friend got hers late due to an error in delivery - you may still get the good news if that were the case! Out of curiosity, what was your major work about (depending on its subject matter you could guess whether the BoS would be interested)?
I highly doubt I'd actually get nominated but it'd be a nice surprise. I wrote a satirical pastiche with a large conceptual basis built upon Eliot, Dante, Joyce, Shakespeare and Hesiod. It explored the irony of the effects of oblivion, such as solipsistic grief, on the human psyche.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm curious about the number for so many of the other exotic course like: Khmer Continuers, Aboriginal Studies, Hebrew Advanced(?) etc. Where can one find the figures?
Any teacher with access to RAP can access the figures. PM me anything you want to find out an I will run a quick search

dp624

HSC
I heard that at Ruse, if you want to do Ag for your HSC, you have to do it in year 10. Is that true?
year 11 afaik
They have subjects like agriculture, legal and business though which grammar doesnt have.

That said trying to figure out who did based on this list etc is a bit pointless when the school ranking system rates topping the state in Mathematics Extension 1 and getting a 90 in General Maths as the same since its just on % of band 6 scripts.
i don't think ruse offers legal or business

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)