Top Schools List. (1 Viewer)

501n2u

HSC
do the rankings include the people who do IB (international baccalaureate)?

Optophobia

HSC
501n2u said:
do the rankings include the people who do IB (international baccalaureate)?
No.

Which is why my old school is usually ranked around 200 instead of 30.

Oh well, it's only my school doing itself a diservice. No one forces it to do the IB.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Although the Telegraph has the more accurate representation of rankings, it's odd to see that SMH isn't as so. I mean shouldn't the paper aimed at a *smarter* demographic have a more accurate ranking system? Or did the SMH not bother this time?

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Nonehtless, it's pleasing to see High at 3rd place (and told so by the *better* paper) rather than clinging onto the Top 10 spot (8/9/10ths).

OhFourOhOne

HSC
You lucky city kids who get to see your schools name in the top 200 :)
I don't know why I even bothered looking for mine. Would be interesting to see where my school came over all though. Does anyone know if/when/where a complete list of schools is released? Or is that not done.

I mean.. like outside the top 200. McCarthy most definatley didn't make the cut xD

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
simonloo said:
Nonehtless, it's pleasing to see High at 3rd place (and told so by the *better* paper) rather than clinging onto the Top 10 spot (8/9/10ths).
The SMH is normally what i'd call the 'better' paper (in terms of the relevance and eloquence of its articles) but the daily telegraph is much more accurate if you want to rank the top schools.

/Dickhead

Read Brogan's comments why don't you?

And 9th is still pretty awesome though is it not? You beat out what 991 other schools.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
omg!! my school is in the top 200 for like the first time in a decade!!!!!! i think we're 118th. ohhhh im so proud of my year right now.

theworldisround

HSC
If you read the bottom of the schools list in the SMH, it says that ' the herald analysis ranks schools according to the percentage of students who scored 90 or above in at least one subject, taking into acount the SCHOOL's SIZE. These schools had a minimum of 20 students .....'

So i guess they did rank the schools on a percentage basis.

The Daily Telegraph however, used the number of attempts instead of number of students as the basis. That is, a student doing 5 subjects would be considered 5 attempts in the telegraph, but only as 1 student in the SMH.

Whichever one is more accurate is for you guyz to decide. But the system used by the telegraph favours schools with the majority of students doing 10 units.

topdeck

HSC
Does anyone have a link to the daily telegraph's top 200? I can't seem to find one....

mimiian

HSC
Black Hawker said:
One below Normanhurst so 23rd.
omg Black Hawker, you go to Penrith as well? thanks for all the school ranking you typed. obviously 2006 HSC cohort can't be as good as ours (i did HSC in 2005), all the teachers think we were THE year, i think our year achieved the best results ever for PHS. lol, i had heaps of fun in PHS.

poOgee

HSC
unbelievable nsb '06ers -.-"
aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii oh well 07ers will do better xD

the leader

HSC
Oh dear, this is embarrassing... I think Wollongong's highest is Smith's Hill at 46th(?)... and I can't see my school on that list.. does anyone know what
St Mary Star of the Sea came?

Or do I not wanna know...

pheelics1

HSC
FFS so many idiots in this thread who think the smh works on 'numbers' and the daily telegraph works on 'percentages'. They both work on percentages, and at a basic level are equally legitimate.

Unfortunately the telegraph list is tainted by the fact the rest of the rag is filled with lies and filth, and so the smh must be accepted as the definitive list. (better luck next year sydney girls lololololol)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Pheelics, you're wrong. And rude. Charming first post.

cupcake08

HSC
lets face it, everyone will say the more accurate newspaper is the one that ranks their school higher.

its weird that there is such a huge difference between the papers though (hornsby going from 2nd to 11th??) :(

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I'm just going by what we were told about last year's lists by Lazarus, a very unbiased and accurate source.

cupcake08

HSC
dagwoman said:
I'm just going by what we were told about last year's lists by Lazarus, a very unbiased and accurate source.
lol that wasn't directed at you...i actually agree that daily telegraph is more accurate. but more at those who are like:

"omgz! dAily telepgrah izn't as Gud!!! SMH ALL THE WAY!"
and vice versa :)

Pianpupodoel

Neurotic Member
HSC
theworldisround said:
If you read the bottom of the schools list in the SMH, it says that ' the herald analysis ranks schools according to the percentage of students who scored 90 or above in at least one subject, taking into acount the SCHOOL's SIZE. These schools had a minimum of 20 students .....'

So i guess they did rank the schools on a percentage basis.

The Daily Telegraph however, used the number of attempts instead of number of students as the basis. That is, a student doing 5 subjects would be considered 5 attempts in the telegraph, but only as 1 student in the SMH.

Whichever one is more accurate is for you guyz to decide. But the system used by the telegraph favours schools with the majority of students doing 10 units.

Perhaps we should clear up this misinformation being reported all over this thread. Clearly, from theworldisround's quote from the herald, does the herald not also work with percentages?

steelite

HSC
poOgee said:
unbelievable nsb '06ers -.-"
aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii oh well 07ers will do better xD
Nah, we went pretty well this year....we got two 100's this year...but yeah, NSB 07 will come 3rd l reckon...too good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)