Top 'speed' done and where? (2 Viewers)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree... very dangerous in the wet- but I wonder if it's a good way to test stability/traction control :)

Jiga

but I wonder if it's a good way to test stability/traction control
What do you mean? For a driver to test whether its working or for companies to test it!?

If you meant the first choice... ah it wouldnt really be that smart to try and test stability control at least because at the end of the day, it can only really correct relatively small fuck ups, not if you hit a hard corner at 80km/h+ :uhoh:

Last edited by a moderator:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
As a note in this instance I was not speeding. The limit was 60. I wad doing less than this, however I was going to fast for the conditions.

My car is RWD and suffers from poor traction in the wet. Even with the 205 tyres (up from 165s, so you can imagine what it used to be like)...... it must be a by-product of the awesome power laid down by a 72 volvo....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Well... i don't mean do something crazy- but just make sure it's working with minor correction?

Did any of you guys see that video (forgot the name of the show, but it wasn't Top Gear..) where they showed that snowy place where companies test drive new vehicles and their safety systems (traction/stability/etc...) on the ice? I saw it on Google Video- the car they used was a Jaguar X Type.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I read an article in wheels about it, the humour of rolling a volvo into a snow hill and pushing it back up undamaged and continuing etc.

Jiga

Well... i don't mean do something crazy- but just make sure it's working with minor correction?
It wouldnt be advisable, it could easily turn into a mess. But the wet/ice is obviously better for it, because the effects are more pronounced. A current affair actually have a story on stability control tonight, may be worth watching - Although I am wary, because they hit tight corners at high speed and its unclear if the 'test' cars they compare the others cars to have ABS or if they try to brake which can also help when you need to turn suddently in the wet or if they just have plain shit stability in general (like a Getz they showed, no shit its gonna spin out!)...... so they are just drumming up bullshit like "Stability control is the biggest thing since the seatbelt"..... what about ABS or air bags! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

alexxxz

HSC
awd in wet = win. i feel almost no difference going to dry to wet.

- L1n -

HSC
Collin said:
140km/hr @ Pittwater Road, Collaroy... around 3 months after I first got my Ps. Nearly flipped the 4WD too. And yes, I acknowledge I was an idiot.

Hahahha pittwater road, i never speed on Pittwater road too many coppers everywher especially on the way to collaroy from dee why.

Jiga

awd in wet = win. i feel almost no difference going to dry to wet.
Although yeah AWD is alot better in the wet.... sounds like you have a false sense of security, I find it hard to believe there is no difference! You can still hit corners at speed?

As for the ACA program..... although the basic idea that stability control is really good was true, they put their usual sensationalist spin on it. I dont think the control car, a Getz, had ABS, which under braking and turning in an emergency situation would result in less dramatic results.

Pace_T

HSC
i duno my top speed but i was going 150 in many little 50km/h streets one time. it was first time i ever drove that car............ lolol. of course i had 2 slow down for turns but i was stil going very very fast for them

CieL

HSC
- L1n - said:
150 Epping road, yes it was dumb but i was gonna be late for exam.lol
on Epping rd~!??!?!?!?!?!?! Cops galore..

Yeah neways I was on Blaxland turning into Balaclava rd today and at the Balaclava garage I saw some cop had pulled over a skyline.... took a peek, and it was some honkie asian guy who looked full guilty...

Pretty stupid since there's a cop station extremely nearby..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)