Top 'speed' done and where? (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Mr Will said:
as shit as the model before, and the model before that, and the one before that. there is one mitsubishi worth buying - the evo. they do not make good small cars.
LOL... it's sad that the company which produces the Evo, also makes really **** cars.

CieL said:
hehe.. unless it was downhill

I remember I suddenly got to 150 going downhill and I'm like oh shit! *pulls back*
But even downhill... won't the engine spoil if it's forced to go beyond it's top speed?

CieL

HSC
Like over-worked? Revs too high? Probably?

I've only ever pushed stock cars that I know can go the way..

Don't even know what's been done to the Lancer.. Never know if it's got something else under the bonnet or not..

I mean, that dude said 175km in a 70s Volvo.. I didn't even know that heavy weight piece of metal could fly.. Even my car with its aerodynamics and plastic bumpers felt a bit queezy at those speeds

marty182

HSC
WTF is that lancer turbo or r u fuill of it lol
ive got a mate hat owns a newer lancer and it doesnt go even close to goin as hard as u sed urs does. and its a 1.8 VRX engine .............

Mr Will

HSC
seremify007 said:
LOL... it's sad that the company which produces the Evo, also makes really **** cars.

But even downhill... won't the engine spoil if it's forced to go beyond it's top speed?

off topic...i see you went to baulkham hills high...do you know mitch bruzzese or chris neall?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Nope I don't know those people- sorry.

Maybe I'm basing this on what I see in movies/video games/Initial D... but if you push your car to the limit and beyond for too long, it'll blow the engine won't it?

Mr Will

HSC
seremify007 said:
Nope I don't know those people- sorry.

Maybe I'm basing this on what I see in movies/video games/Initial D... but if you push your car to the limit and beyond for too long, it'll blow the engine won't it?

yes. sustained high revs will damage the engine....however revving the shti out of it when the engine is cold is worse, not changing the oil is worse, etc etc and at the end of the day, even if you drive like a granny the car will still wear.

Mr Will

HSC
btw back on topic, i cracked 30kmh once, but my fully sick body kit was flapping in the wind and it was only because i had my l33t RALLIART stickers and my massive gt wing that i was able to stay in control

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Mr Will said:
yes. sustained high revs will damage the engine....however revving the shti out of it when the engine is cold is worse, not changing the oil is worse, etc etc and at the end of the day, even if you drive like a granny the car will still wear.
Hmm... wouldn't that mean the guy who posted those "unrealistic" figures might have blown his engine in doing so, or had an engine swap to reach those speeds?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
about the whole argument for beating v8's thing, in Wollongong there are 2 main areas where races off the lights, and actual full blown street racing occur, a 60km strip and 2 or 3 80kn strips

now in the 60 area, i have noticed there isnt that much of a difference when racing up to 60 between a normal car and my shitbox, or a normal car and a v8. so if both the v8 and the mx6 were going to race off the lights, if they both floored it atthe same time, by the time they hit 60 there will be a clear winner but not that much actual difference in how far apart the cars are. Because 7th is young and a male he has considerably higher reaction speeds, less than .2 of a second, compared with an older person who may take .5-1 full second to realise the lights have gone green ans press foot down

this extra .8 or so of a second can mean a big difference in a race that stops once they hit 60 or 80

so i will conclude i think it is quite feasible he has beaten some v8's, especially if he ever raced in wollongong, and both were going to stick to the speed limit, its not like its a full on drag race, both drivers flooring it to reach top speeds, so i think the lighter car with the faster driver has a good chance of coming close, if not beating an older driver with more cubes

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You raise some good points... every car can accelerate 0-60 pretty fast; but why are you saying they stop at 60? If two 'kids' (I use that term loosely) are going to be flooring it off from a traffic light with the intention of racing one another, I really doubt they care for speed limits much.

Jiga

^

Exactly, lol, who races to stay in the limit...... if you take the risk of losing your license for street racing I think getting caught for going 20km/h or so over the limit is the last thing you care about!

In any case though, lets just say you are somehow right (Although even getting to 60 I would say a V8 would still smash a MX6)..... it still doesnt explain how he stated that he had beaten "many" V8's that were like 1995 or older models!! You barely see any on the road these days, let alone ones that would race you! And when you look at the context in which he said he could beat V8's, which was to say that his car was so fast yet it wasnt exempt from p-platers driving it.... he was implying in a sense that the races against V8's went faster than 60km/h?

Conclusion... he was just trying to talk up his car suggesting that it was faster than cars that are exempt from p-platers...

EDIT: BTW, I dont know WHY you brought this up in another thread, it has already consumed the exemption thread, keep it in their!

EDIT #2: Also in regards to car getting to 60 at the same time, Im not so sure, twice I raced a friend with a 1.8L weighing 1 tonne in my 3L V6 which weights 1400kg.... both times I smoked him off the line and our races only went up to 80km/h yet the whole way I had a good lead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Qlimax

HSC
185 Civic Prevoius generation to the new civic on Freeway to canberra.
Yes it can hit that speed.. but seroiusly.. it takes a long amount of time to get anywhere above 165km/hour +

My driving is normal at 120 - 150 on the way to uni at the 110 zone.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
v8d what with their increased weight and larger engine tend to take a while to hit maximum accel, especially if its auto vs manual, the manual should have better accel off the line[something to do with how the revs have to drop back and into another gear to go faster]

i brought it up in here cause i thought street racing would be more suited to this thread, most 60 roads though have a top speed that you cant really go past e.g on a 60 road you would have trouble taking the bends at 80, which is why this 60 zone is popular i guess, cause it tests handling aswell.

you raced your friend who is your age and male so reaction speeds would be very similiar[ and hes prolly a shit driver lol] but if he had say a half seccond advantage on you off the lights do you think it would have made a difference? thats basically what iam talking about, that its not always the car sometimes its the driver[although i am very sure i could beat any race car driver if we swapped cars]

but yeah i think he let pride get in the way of what he wanted to say

Jiga

manual should have better accel off the line
Yeah I kno, this puts another nail into his figurative coffin because Im prity sure his car is an atuo... and seeings as though like 90% of V8's are manual, especially older ones, he would have got smashed in any distance race.

[something to do with how the revs have to drop back and into another gear to go faster]
I thought it was simply because a guy in a manual can redline it and get the most out of each gear or whatever while most auto's, well at least mine, dont really ever redline (This is more important for short distance races)..... thats my lay mans reasoning for it at least :eek:

CieL

HSC
Serius said:
Because 7th is young and a male he has considerably higher reaction speeds, less than .2 of a second, compared with an older person who may take .5-1 full second to realise the lights have gone green ans press foot down
That's such a generalisation.. you can't compare the reaction times of everyone by categorising them into "young" and "old(er)".. How do you know he doesn't have anything else hindering his reaction time even if he's young.

Also, did you know smokers have a faster reaction time? How are these variables taken into account? So if I'm oldER and just had a cigarette, does that make me equal in reaction time?

Say, I'm young and I smoke, does that make me UBER fast?

No, that's just lame.

Schoolies_2004 said:
Exactly, lol, who races to stay in the limit
Actually don't laugh........ because I've done that before ahahhahahahhahhahah XP Me and my bf agreed to floor it at the lights until we reached 80 - just to test the difference of 50kw in different cars - (this is also when I claim to have been raped by a v8).. The v8 wasn't initially part of the race and I could tell by sound that the Statesman wasn't even pushing it.. I passed redlined in 1st gear and I hit VTEC.. and me and the v8 were side by side.. my car pushed to it's TOTAL max limits and the v8 easily kept up.. this is a 2005 model car so yeah, I really doubt a 92 model would be able to do the same..

Schoolies_2004 said:
I thought it was simply because a guy in a manual can redline it and get the most out of each gear or whatever while most auto's, well at least mine, dont really ever redline
Tested and done, (above) my car is able to redline (auto mode) or push a bit pass redline (tiptronic mode) and it still gets thrashed by an auto v8

Hey schoolies, you ever actually pressed the accelerator to the floor? Because majority of cars, behind the accelerator is a little button, when it is pressed down it sends the car into overdrive and this holds the car in the same gear for longer. That might get your car to redline.. UNLESS it's never been pushed past the same revs for 3+yrs then it'll never get there, so save ruining your engine..

Jiga

Actually don't laugh........ because I've done that before ahahhahahahhahhahah XP Me and my bf agreed to floor it at the lights until we reached 80 - just to test the difference of 50kw in different cars - (this is also when I claim to have been raped by a v8)
Yeah Ive done that to against a friends Lancer..... but the limit was still 60 so we were speeding at 80km/h.

you ever actually pressed the accelerator to the floor
Yes, on many occasions :D

Because majority of cars, behind the accelerator is a little button, when it is pressed down it sends the car into overdrive and this holds the car in the same gear for longer
I do have an overdrive button, which is usually set so its on... this would be the same thing? I also have like a button for 'extra power' which does feel like it gives it abit more, even with both these on doesnt want to redline :mad1:

That might get your car to redline.. UNLESS it's never been pushed past the same revs for 3+yrs then it'll never get there, so save ruining your engine..
I dunno, the most it goes to currently being floored is like 6000, but redline I believe is at 6500 (Not much, but still.... it doesnt wanna go past that point). It should have been pushed passed the same revs, from what I was TOLD a mother owned the car and then gave it to their son (Which figures cos its well maintained but also been done up later on) so Im guessing he would have thrashed it about alittle bit.

EDIT : Also in regards to this extra power thing i talk about, its a button that has ECT on... electronically controlled transmision I believe it stands for... now Ive been lead to believe this makes the car less fuel efficient as its kinda like a sports mode... is this true? I would have thought an electronically controlled transmission would perform more smoothly etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

oh2sxc

HSC
215 kmph (WRX STi) on kings highway heading to sydney at 2 in the morning on red p's. Will post vid of it soon if yas want.

Mr Will

HSC
seremify007 said:
Hmm... wouldn't that mean the guy who posted those "unrealistic" figures might have blown his engine in doing so, or had an engine swap to reach those speeds?

it really depends. the engine would be unlikely to die from overheating at these speeds because the volume of air moving across the engine would be quite large and thus things would be kept cool. if the engine was warmed up, and he has only done this sort of thing a few times then its perfectly plausible that the engine wouldnt be ruined. i think the more likely conclusion is that hes jus full of shit

Mr Will

HSC
oh2sxc said:
215 kmph (WRX STi) on kings highway heading to sydney at 2 in the morning on red p's. Will post vid of it soon if yas want.

i want to see a video of this

Mr Will

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
Yeah I kno, this puts another nail into his figurative coffin because Im prity sure his car is an atuo... and seeings as though like 90% of V8's are manual, especially older ones, he would have got smashed in any distance race.

I thought it was simply because a guy in a manual can redline it and get the most out of each gear or whatever while most auto's, well at least mine, dont really ever redline (This is more important for short distance races)..... thats my lay mans reasoning for it at least :eek:

all the reasoning suggested for autos being slower so far are wrong...

the REAL reasons are as follows:
they are heavier
the have torque converters (the things that allow them to be stationary, and maintain engine revs without stalling) which are not 100% efficient (thus power loss), and also do not engage immediately from standstill (thus a delay in you putting your foot down at the lights and you moving)

As a general rule, you lose about 10% in an average car with an average automatic transmission. once you move into E-gear systems like the one on the murcielago, or the paddle shift systems on ferraris, its a different story.

Autos are capable of redlining in gear, anyone who suggests otherwise obviously hasnt driven one, or is stupid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)