Top 'speed' done and where? (1 Viewer)

Mr Will

HSC
seremify007 said:
I'm sorry but I can't quite figure out what you are arguing?

I said I've never seen a tiptronic go beyond the redline... I'd be willing to bet I've been in performance tiptronic cars pushed to their limits significantly more than you have.

Other people have said that they have tiptronics which will allow people to push beyond the redline, I'm aware of this- my post merely said that in the BMWs (and Benzs for that matter) I've been in, I've never seen it happen.

it doesnt really surprise me that you dont understand what im saying. i drive manual cars because thats what you buy if youre interested in performance. try watching a few episodes of top gear and youll quickly realise that autos are perfectly capable of revving beyond the redline.
there is a difference between redline, limiter, and fuel cut. redline is a guide, it doesnt stop you doing anything. a fuel cut/limiter PREVENT you from revving further, and these are always slightly beyond the redline. in summary, you are wrong

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
How do you know the fuel cut/limiter doesn't kick in at the redline in the cars I've been in then? I'm also thinking that those things are all functions of the transmission (which will force an upshift) rather than a physical feature of the transmission in modern automatics- but that's just speculation.

You drive manual, so yes I am inclined to think you'll know what you're talking about when it comes to manual cars and gear changes, but we're talking tiptronics here- something which I've had quite a bit of experience with both in the driver's seat and moreso in the passenger. Sure we don't have any Ferraris (any more) like Top Gear (for the record; we had a F355 in Manual) but I'm saying that in MY experience, when I've seen my cousins race, I've never seen the tacho go past where the redline starts when in tiptronic. Apart from the CL55 (which wasn't driven in tiptronic mode), the 740iL, the 750iL, the S500, 540i, 645i, 328i and 330Ci all forced an upshift just as it hits the redline from what I've seen; and unlike you who is basing your knowledge on what you've seen on TV, mine is based on real life experience- sure I wasn't driving, but it sure beats what you can see on TV footage which has been spliced/edited. I will confirm with my cousins regarding the GReddy 350z tiptronic.

No matter how techy your knowledge may be, my post is something which I've said I noticed from my own observations- unless you've driven the exact cars, I don't see how you can claim to know whether or not the tiptronic systems force upshifts or not. Even the Mini Cooper (I've heard) forces upshifts in the tiptronic mode; however some cars out there do not... but like I said again, these are my own observations with cars which our family owns.

Btw the ECU mod which raises fuel efficiency... that's a new one. All the cars in Malaysia that are owned by my family have had ECU modifications performed- and fuel efficiency never increases. The stupid meter which tells you how much fuel you're using at any time is nearly always dangling at 40L/100km.

Last edited:

Mr Will

HSC
seremify007 said:
How do you know the fuel cut/limiter doesn't kick in at the redline in the cars I've been in then? I'm also thinking that those things are all functions of the transmission (which will force an upshift) rather than a physical feature of the transmission in modern automatics- but that's just speculation.

You drive manual, so yes I am inclined to think you'll know what you're talking about when it comes to manual cars and gear changes, but we're talking tiptronics here- something which I've had quite a bit of experience with both in the driver's seat and moreso in the passenger. Sure we don't have any Ferraris (any more) like Top Gear (for the record; we had a F355 in Manual) but I'm saying that in MY experience, when I've seen my cousins race, I've never seen the tacho go past where the redline starts when in tiptronic. Apart from the CL55 (which wasn't driven in tiptronic mode), the 740iL, the 750iL, the S500, 540i, 645i, 328i and 330Ci all forced an upshift just as it hits the redline from what I've seen; and unlike you who is basing your knowledge on what you've seen on TV, mine is based on real life experience- sure I wasn't driving, but it sure beats what you can see on TV footage which has been spliced/edited. I will confirm with my cousins regarding the GReddy 350z tiptronic.

No matter how techy your knowledge may be, my post is something which I've said I noticed from my own observations- unless you've driven the exact cars, I don't see how you can claim to know whether or not the tiptronic systems force upshifts or not. Even the Mini Cooper (I've heard) forces upshifts in the tiptronic mode; however some cars out there do not... but like I said again, these are my own observations with cars which our family owns.

Btw the ECU mod which raises fuel efficiency... that's a new one. All the cars in Malaysia that are owned by my family have had ECU modifications performed- and fuel efficiency never increases. The stupid meter which tells you how much fuel you're using at any time is nearly always dangling at 40L/100km.

fuel cut/limiters arent "physical features" of transmissions. i suggest you learn about how transmissions, both auto and manual, operate before you go making claims like this. the fact that youve been in the cars really doesnt mean much in terms of this discussion. the fact is, fuel cuts are programmed to occur AFTER redline. i have driven the same car as mine, except in an automatic and...you guessed it, the fuel cut was at the exact same point - 250rpm after redline.
i am more inclined to believe jeremy clarkson, the worlds greatest motoring journalist who has driven more cars than probably any other person on this planet, than you.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I also watch Top Gear and trust his judgement, but I don't seem to recall him (in many episodes?) saying anything about tiptronics- yes he says they are great fun and whatnot, but he never really goes into that much detail about what happens if you don't shift up and try to ruin the engine- but if you do ever get to talk to your idol, please do ask him about this matter.

I also think we're deviating from the core debate; but just to clarify;

1. What you're saying is Tiptronic cars will NOT force upshifts at redlines.
2. What I'm saying is a lot of Tiptronic cars DO force upshifts at the start of the redline.

And yes I'm aware of the limitations of my knowledge on transmissions, but it still doesn't change my point that I've seen tiptronics which force upshifts before the redline. As I said earlier, I've also heard of cars with tiptronic which don't force upshifts, but for a lot of them, you can't hold the gear in tiptronic mode forever. Surely there are other users on BoS who have driven these "high performance autos" (can't think of any other name) and witnessed what I am talking about...

EDIT:
There's little point in me arguing this with you because you don't believe me and there's not much way for me to prove my argument anyway- so unless other users here also know what I'm talking about (ie. they've seen forced upshifts in tiptronic) then might as well drop the argument- and Mr Will, I don't doubt your technical knowledge, but I think I'll wait until you've tried driving a decent tiptronic car (ie. Not one of those ones they call tiptronic such as the Ford Focus). If anyone read my original post in the "I've driven a F8" topic, I've also come to realise that the tiptronic in that car is miles ahead better than the Ford one which I tried on Saturday.

Last edited:

Mr Will

HSC
seremify007 said:
I also watch Top Gear and trust his judgement, but I don't seem to recall him (in many episodes?) saying anything about tiptronics- yes he says they are great fun and whatnot, but he never really goes into that much detail about what happens if you don't shift up and try to ruin the engine- but if you do ever get to talk to your idol, please do ask him about this matter.

I also think we're deviating from the core debate; but just to clarify;

1. What you're saying is Tiptronic cars will NOT force upshifts at redlines.
2. What I'm saying is a lot of Tiptronic cars DO force upshifts at the start of the redline.

And yes I'm aware of the limitations of my knowledge on transmissions, but it still doesn't change my point that I've seen tiptronics which force upshifts before the redline. As I said earlier, I've also heard of cars with tiptronic which don't force upshifts, but for a lot of them, you can't hold the gear in tiptronic mode forever. Surely there are other users on BoS who have driven these "high performance autos" (can't think of any other name) and witnessed what I am talking about...

EDIT:
There's little point in me arguing this with you because you don't believe me and there's not much way for me to prove my argument anyway- so unless other users here also know what I'm talking about (ie. they've seen forced upshifts in tiptronic) then might as well drop the argument- and Mr Will, I don't doubt your technical knowledge, but I think I'll wait until you've tried driving a decent tiptronic car (ie. Not one of those ones they call tiptronic such as the Ford Focus). If anyone read my original post in the "I've driven a F8" topic, I've also come to realise that the tiptronic in that car is miles ahead better than the Ford one which I tried on Saturday.

i didnt say tiptronics wouldnt force upshifts at redlines you dumbass, try READING what i say - i said that this would occur AFTER the redline ie at the FUEL CUT.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Chill out man. Sorry I misread what you said, but it would seem you were the one arguing with the point I raised earlied;

me said:
As for the redlining... I've never seen an automatic (nor a tiptronic) go beyond the point where it hits the red though; and that's considering I've been in autos pushed way to their limits. If I recall correctly, even in tiptronic mode, the 330Ci, 540i, 750iL, etc... all will force an upshift rather than allow damage to the engine.
All I've said so far is that from experience, the tiptronics I've been in have forced upshifts before the redline.

So, maybe you should be the one who should try READING what i say before you resort to using childish insults.

Mr Will

HSC
seremify007 said:
Chill out man. Sorry I misread what you said, but it would seem you were the one arguing with the point I raised earlied;

All I've said so far is that from experience, the tiptronics I've been in have forced upshifts before the redline.

So, maybe you should be the one who should try READING what i say before you resort to using childish insults.

yeah but the thing is youre wrong...and spreading incorrect information often leads others to form incorrect opinions, and its pretty annoying when people like you with extremely limited mechanical knowledge go around pretending that they know what theyre talking about

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
Top speed I've done is 150 between Wellington and Dubbo. But I've been in cars where the driver has gone off the speedo (200+)- that's scary but a real rush. I don't like driving fast myself though, I'm too scared of losing control.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
Oi brah, maddaz, mah top speed was in my fully sick dub yar ex (WRX), going down the high way at 497 kmh. Brah, I was like, yallah!! Maddah it was totally siiiick. Especially wiv mah suboofah in dah boot, going DOOF DOOF DOOF DOOF!!!! Yallah youze all gots to try dat some day. I darez youse !!!

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Bullshit. You wouldn't be here right now, you fucking retard.
Well I am. Do you even know where I'm talking about? Or what kind of car it was? Or who the driver was? Or what the conditions were like? No. So shut the fuck up.

Mr Will

HSC
EATAPIE said:
Oi brah, maddaz, mah top speed was in my fully sick dub yar ex (WRX), going down the high way at 497 kmh. Brah, I was like, yallah!! Maddah it was totally siiiick. Especially wiv mah suboofah in dah boot, going DOOF DOOF DOOF DOOF!!!! Yallah youze all gots to try dat some day. I darez youse !!!

fully bro! i hope yoo had yo full sick neons goin ye? i rkn my lancer would fully beat you ay. i got ralliart body kit, evo stickers n phat chromies bro. my stickers add 10hp each bro.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Damage Inc. said:
Fuck you, spastic. You're a filthy, lying whore.

The fact that you're here nows says that you're lying.

LIAR.
How do you know he's shitting though?

I mean... i've been in cars which went way beyond 200; maybe the car he/she was in was heavily performance modified and they never updated the speedo (yes I know it's highly unlikely)- but it still doesn't change that person wouldn't necessarily die?... although I am inclined to think they are bluffing too; but wouldn't go ahead and call them an outright lie until I was more sure of it?

cameron_burnes

HSC
170km/hr in tamworth
in a 2000 model Lancer VRX

my 76 charger's almost fully restored. the spedo goes to 200 so i dont know what it will do but im not gonna push it so i dont bust it up.

fatmuscle

HSC
you people speed at ridiculous speeds
then again, I speed myself. even at a lower speed over the limit, it's still speeding, and it's still bad.

fastest i've done is 140 on the F3 between wahroonga and kuringgai chase rd.

along the M2/M7, i do a constant 120 in all speed zones.
gone are the days where it took 50mins from Mt druitt to Hornsby.... it's now <30 with a $6 toll :p

hopefully they get their arses into working gear and make the F3 to M2 link.
I really really hate travelling on roads where the traffic isn't flowing.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
When I took a peek at the speedo...240km/h

...on the back of a Suzuki GSX-R 1000.

Along the Pacific Highway just outside of Port Macquarie. Cars looked like they were standing still, even with them doing around 100km/h.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Fuck you, spastic. You're a filthy, lying whore.

The fact that you're here nows says that you're lying.

LIAR.
dude, you gotta be careful what you say. my mate hit 180 in 3rd on his FTO on the M7 while it was free :) he could have gone further, but the FTO is an import and the speedo stops at 180.

he has however clocked his holden w/old cop chip, which was above 200, and recorded it on his phone as proof. of course, you couldnt see the numbers from the bumpiness, but you could see the needle reach the end of the speedo. heck, you could even see the feul gauge go down as the speedo needle went up!

ive hit 160 on the M4 with that friend, but only because it was a hurry. otherwise i might have hit 130 only.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
chelzmalee said:
Top speed I've done is 150 between Wellington and Dubbo. But I've been in cars where the driver has gone off the speedo (200+)- that's scary but a real rush. I don't like driving fast myself though, I'm too scared of losing control.
Damage is right, those roads CANNOT support those speeds, if you did that speed you are very foolish and also lucky you are alive, some people on here have done serious speeds in excess of 200, the thing is that these werent on the fucking goat trail style roads out near dubbo

They are bendy, the shoulder is unsealed, its bumpy with potholes, basically a shitheap road that going over 150 on is basically a deathwish, i personally would never go faster than 120 on a shit road.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
cameron_burnes said:
170km/hr in tamworth
in a 2000 model Lancer VRX
On a sidenote, I saw a black Police VRX yesterday in Darling Harbour.. right next to where I saw that Smart roadster Police car last time.

veterandoggy said:
he has however clocked his holden w/old cop chip, which was above 200, and recorded it on his phone as proof. of course, you couldnt see the numbers from the bumpiness, but you could see the needle reach the end of the speedo. heck, you could even see the feul gauge go down as the speedo needle went up!
That's how I usually do it; I'm surprised I've managed to take steady shots above 200; but I guess it depends on the driver's style of driving (ie. smooth/rough). I'm surprised about the fuel gauge needle thing you mention- unless you're talking fuel consumption gauge (ie. the thing which tells you how many L/100km you are using at the moment), I didn't think it was possible to notice the amount of fuel in your tank decrease so fast that it was readily noticable to the human eye- especially when you should be concentrating on driving at those speeds!

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
seremify007 said:
That's how I usually do it; I'm surprised I've managed to take steady shots above 200; but I guess it depends on the driver's style of driving (ie. smooth/rough). I'm surprised about the fuel gauge needle thing you mention- unless you're talking fuel consumption gauge (ie. the thing which tells you how many L/100km you are using at the moment), I didn't think it was possible to notice the amount of fuel in your tank decrease so fast that it was readily noticable to the human eye- especially when you should be concentrating on driving at those speeds!
lol he did it at the Rocks runs, but hitting 150+ for him has become a not so exciting event. i guess it would be like that for anyone who has thrashed wrexies skylines and many other done up cars. i probably would have been in the same noose had i a car just as fast. he lost his license, but you wouldnt guess what for. he had no P plates and he was driving manual with an auto license. the venue? brighton saturday night, the place where a gazillion defected cars show up to race, and the car? his bombed suzuki swift >.< i laughed my ass off when he told me!

And i mean the fuel gauge that tells you how much you have left in your tank, although i have experienced it with my corolla too. i think the main reason was that he was accelerating and the fuel was moving to the back of the car, as it happens to me too, although due to his constant drags on parra road his holden did used to eat, drink and shit petrol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)