Topics for '09 (1 Viewer)

benn07

HSC
So i thought it would be a good idea to make a thread for all the people commencing History Extension for the 2009 HSC!
What topics is everyone doing for their project?
I'm thinking of doing impacts of diamond trades in africa.

Cheap Thrills

HSC
kid, i like you already. sounds like a fucking awesome topic. i have a book called "blood diamonds" by greg campbell. its got loads of info on the diamond trade, you might want to have a search around for it. for a little contextual background to issues in africa, you might like "king leopold's ghost" by adam hoschild, and "european atrocity, african catastrophe" by martin ewans. the ewans book will be hard to find in a shop, look for it in a uni library, but i have seen many copies of the others in borders etc. i did both my year 11 investigation and my hex project on african themes, so its a passionate area for me.

Eoz500

HSC
that topic sounds cool. i think someone in my class in doing something like that too.
im thinking of doing something about rubin 'hurricane' carter, and maybe look at the movie too.

Mithead

HSC
Im thinking of looking at the concept of Pax Americana from different perspectives. Though some very preliminary reading has led me to believe that this may be too broad...

Otherwise, I'll probably do the changing perspectives of Manifest Destiny...

I'm actually really looking forward to this project.

xTJx

HSC
impacts of the diamond trade in africa sounds like an interesting topic.

I was thinking of doing something about King Arthur. I'd really like to do an egyptian based topic but I can't think of anything in particular.

so I'm still thinking about it

nimssyk

Captn
HSC
Yeh conflict diamonds sounds cool

Im thinking of doing like something on the monroe doctrine or maybe manifest destiny as well :)

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
subhas chandra bose, if anyone has heard of him....?
does anyone know if there's an accessible archive of japanese, german, or russian released government documents for WW2?

janetO

HSC
GAH! I've started thinking of what I should do my major on but it's so hard to develop a proper question..

So far I've got :
- Whether Mary Magdalen was Jesus' wife or not?
- The US Presidents as Freemasons and their relations to The Illuminati
- New World Order conspiracy

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Hi everyone - your guys topics sound so complicated and you guys sound so clever and I am intimidated already. We have had 2 lessons of history extension. And I am thinking of doing:
- Changing perspectives on the invasion of Australia ie genocide of Aborigines vs peaceful white settlement.
- Or something about the Cold War.
So I don't really know yet. Thanks for starting this thread. Goodluck everybody.

Aza-2221

HSC
hey
i am thinking of the follwonig:
Something to do with Fascisim
or the returing soilders from Vietmam
what do you think?

adidasboy

weee
HSC
Aza-2221 said:
hey
i am thinking of the follwonig:
Something to do with Fascisim
or the returing soilders from Vietmam
what do you think?
Isn't that in the syllabus in history year 10?

Aza-2221

HSC
adidasboy said:
Isn't that in the syllabus in history year 10?
yes it is, but i have chosen the topic of fascim in the 20th centurey, but thanks for pointing that out.

Ryuk

HSC
I've had three History Extension classes so far and I'm really enjoying it. I have to hand in my proposal this week though and I'm having trouble thinking of a focus question for my essay.

I had originally decided to do my essay on Vlad III, the Impaler, but I couldn't think of a focus question I could ask about him, so now I'm unsure if I should continue with him.

Does anybody have any ideas or something else I could do? I only do ancient history so I don't want to study someone/something from modern history...

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
so far i've considered [in chronological order]

- genghis khan
- the role of machiavelli in the affairs of the de medicis
- the borgias
- kosovo/chechnya
- operation wrath of god
- revolutionary activities in south america

then i narrowed it down to the spanish civil war and may of 68 and was told that these areas were invalid.

erm, anyone care to tell me why?

mharris

HSC
god i feel so intimidated with all the samrt dudes. at first was thinking of doing how Karl Marxs communist manifesto influenced later communist societies, but it was way to broad, so going to do the Nazi Holocaust and both Germans and Allied sides views on it, and also past and present views

Jabba the Hutt

HSC
I have thought about this so much!!

I completely owned my Modern History investigation in year 11, so now I've intimidated myself to do well in this. xD

I was thinking of a couple of things:
The Loch Ness Monster Legend
The philosiphies of Nietzsche centering around the concept of supermen
Or Germany pre-unification.

I'm kind of stuck actually. I haven't made up my mind and I'll probably think of a thousand ideas before I settle on one.

williamcarr1991

HSC
i was thinking of doing something to do with the Japanese - Chinese Conflict Pre- WW2..

do you guys think there will be enough info/sources (in english)

benn07

HSC
Argh.. we have to submit our questions soon, and i told everyone in the class about this site! We have a trip to the national library too!
I made a list of questions and the only accurate one was "Assess the historical accuracy of the film Blood Diamond" But i don't know what questions to do, its pretty hard!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
williamcarr1991 said:
i was thinking of doing something to do with the Japanese - Chinese Conflict Pre- WW2..

do you guys think there will be enough info/sources (in english)
Google the topic and see if you can find at least 8 books on it. If so then it'd be probably easy to find info/sources on it. If not then good luck :p

I was thinking of doing something on Homer but my friends said I'd have to research a lot because i had to know my context... basically I had to LOVE ancient history so I've pretty much given up on it.

I've been doing some research and I like the idea of doing Nazi propaganda on how influential it was in convincing the majority of Germany to support war and the idea of the Aryan race. Not quite sure how to structure it yet though....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)